Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone think of this?

Old 09-01-2003, 12:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone think of this?

Just a thought:

-Buying an extra pair of rear oem wheels, installing them in the front for the extra width.

-installing a set of H&R wheel spacers for the rear (25mm) to extend the track by about an inch then install your original rear wheels back on.

This will keep the staggered front/rear wheel setup, but give it a more aggressive stance.

The question is will there be any challenges with the rear oem wheels, 16x7.5, being installed in the front?
Old 09-01-2003, 04:03 AM

I can think of two problems:
1) The rear rims will not fit on the front hub because the center bore on the rear rim is too small.
2) You will lose the correct front/rear stagger in terms of tire contact patch. A 7.5" rear rim is too wide for a 205 section tire (IMO) which forces a change to a wider front, altering the very nice stock balance of the car.

What is your goal? If it's for looks, then I'd go with any number of nice aftermarket rims that will fill out the wheel wells more. If it's about performance, there are better, less expensive alternatives involving tire changes only.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:19 AM

CoralDoc, thanks for dropping some knowledge.

If the center bore is different, well then, there goes that idea.
If the center bore would fit my thought was to run a wider, more aggressive wheel stance. The front tires would be sized the same as the rear (225/50/16). But by installing the spacers to the rear, the rear contact patch would be the same but with a wider stance. Just a thought. I actually plan on getting aftermarket wheels soon.

The idea was mainly for looks.

I suffer from S2K-idous, an incurable disease that makes you think of your S2000 24 hrs a day. If you own an S2000 you have a 99% chance of catching the disease.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by simons2k
[B]CoralDoc, thanks for dropping some knowledge.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Put some Regamasters on it and gain 1/2 inch all around. A little price intensive but lighter weight also. Factory tires run fine on them.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not an expert on the subject by any means, although I have owned a large number of cars in my time and have had many expensive and disappointing lessons. There was a time when the first thing I would do when I changed cars was to start changing wheels and tires, thinking I was improving the cars handling. Over several years time, I discovered that in most cases I actually degraded the cars performance. Not only that, I discovered that these changes often caused premature wear of suspension parts. About the time I acquired my first Porsche 928, I realized that the engineers who designed the suspensions in most cars, were far more qualified than myself when it came to designing wheels and determining which tires to use that were the correct size, with proper offsets to match the very complex geometry of a cars suspension, optimizing the cars handling, stability, balance, and suspension longevity. Since then, I've always stayed with the factory wheels, and have never been disappointed. With the S2000 being such an extreme example of precision engineering, I'm sure that the changes you mentioned would foul the overall precision designed into this car.