Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Tires for AP2 S2000

Old 05-23-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Best Tires for AP2 S2000

Folks,

I've owned my 2005 Honda S2000 for almost a year now and I really hate it when I have snap-oversteer and this happens often. I have been told that this is an unfortunate characteristic of the S2K. To compound the matter, our road surfaces in Malta are hopeless for grip. The tires are the original Bridgestone RE-050's. They will be 4yrs old in Nov.2009 with 10k miles on them and they still have lots of tread in them so, theoretically, since they aren't 6yrs.old (the time that one of the big US car manufacturers [Ford ?] recommends that they should be changed) they shouldn't need changing yet. Over here in Malta, local tire sellers say that a 4 year-old tire is almost at the end of its ability to do a good job in terms of grip, regardless if it has plenty of tread in it.

To cure this snap-oversteer problem or lessen its frequency, do you think I should change the tires and most importantly, what brand and model of tire do you recommend ? Here in Malta, most, if not almost all, high performance cars are shod with Toyo Proxes T1 R's...

I would really like to hear from you with all of your opinions / recommendations.

Tx,

pfspeeddemon

Old 05-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Dunlop Star Specs are an awesome and affordable choice. Should be easily available in Europe.

I would recommend using a 255/40-17 at the rear if oversteer is bothering you. That would give you the same tire stagger as the CR if you keep the stock 215/45-17 size in front.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:15 PM

Thank you, thank you negcamber ! Good to see that the first (and hopefully not the only one !) reply has come in !

Yes, I have been eyeing the Dunlop Starspecs for a while with the intention of getting them. I have seen some posts about them, mostly positive ones but there were a few which said they wore out fast. What's your opinion on this ?

I have suggested the Dunlop Starspecs to my mechanic who prepares most of these souped up autcross and hill-climb cars here in Malta but he still said Toyo Proxes T1R's...it seem to be a craze for these tires over here

Thanks for the suggestion about wider rear tires. I agree with you on that 100%.

You haven't told me what you think about whether to replace my OEM tires based on their age and mileage though...

Tx
Old 05-23-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PF,
The Starspecs and 255 width tyres may improve grip but when they do let go you'll still need to be quick at the wheel as it's the nature of the chassis to be snappy, not the tyres themselves.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Former Moderator

Yeah...can't really speak to the age or the mileage. My tires never last more than a year or 12k miles.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:29 PM

To C&O: Yes indeed, it is the nature of the car to oversteer as I have found out much to my dismay after purchasing the S2K. It has always been years of driving experience and divine intervention that has kept me out of serious trouble so far.

To negcamber: I would go bankrupt if I were to change the tires every year ! (I do appreciate that you cover greater distances in Florida than I would do in tiny Malta)

To all : I would like to have your comments / opinions about the Toyo Proxes T1R's or are they not popular in your respective countries ? My biggest dilemma / disappointment would be for me to change the tires for nothing.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:20 AM

^if you dont want the oversteer to be so 'snappy' and you dont midn losing grip, if you run junker tires the oversteer will be easier to control, since it'll happen at slower speeds.

just my 2 cents, however bad it may be
Old 05-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by pfspeeddemon,May 24 2009, 02:29 AM
To all : I would like to have your comments / opinions about the Toyo Proxes T1R's or are they not popular in your respective countries ?
I've driven an s2k with T1Rs...they were ok...but not in the same class as the Star Specs or the old RE-01R (replaced by the RE-11, which should be better)
Old 05-25-2009, 07:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to find a driver's school in your area and learn to handle a car with oversteer. Safest option also. No matter what tires you get that characteristic of the car will always show up when you push it.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:53 AM

Tx Harpoon. I do have 30yrs driving experience, 10 of which were on a RWD Triumph Spitfire Mk3. Ok, the Spit's mild compared to the vicious S but it's the experience I gained from the Spit that has kept me out of trouble with the S so far.

No driving school of such expertise exists here...I probably could show the exsistent ones a trick or two myself !

I just wanted to know if I was due for a tire change and if it would improve the matter...it doesn't seem like it's the case based on the replies I'm getting...well, I kinda thought that I was going to get these replies much to my dismay.

Quick Reply: Best Tires for AP2 S2000