Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Tires for a Stock AP2

Old 02-11-2007, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Tires for a Stock AP2

At the risk of being redundant: I am about to take delivery on a stock 2004 S2000 with 20K miles. It needs new tires. The car is going to be a daily driver in the Northeast. It won't be driven in the snow, but definitely in the rain. I have no intention, at least at the outset, of taking it to the track or doing any modifications. None-the-less, I do drive hard and fast, and there are a lot of very interesting roads around here. My primary concern is handling, secondary would be treadwear. Suggestions? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are better rain tires than the stock 'Stones NM, but to get the latest poop I think a call to the 'Rack is in order.
There was a time when I used to be on top'a what was goin' on tire-wize. That was long ago when I had that kind'a time n' there was alot less to know.
Now I give the guys at the 'Rack my requirements n' they always come up with somethin' that doesn't disappoint.
Be well, good luck n' like the old knight said . . . .
Java
Old 02-11-2007, 02:40 PM

Yeah, I checked them out, as I always have for other cars. I know that that I have to be especially careful with the S2000 because of the stagger and that the OEM are specially made for the car, but I gather from this forum that there are better choices. Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:13 PM

I'm replacing my soon too, so any help is appreciated. I have 25k on a 2004, and they seem to be losing their grip. I was thinking of just doing the RE050's, but if three is something better then I'm all ears. But they gotta work in the rain too, like these do...
Old 02-11-2007, 07:34 PM

I say again: if there's somethin' better the guys at the 'Rack'll let'cha know aboudditt. If you want more of a rain-friendly tire the guys at the 'Rack'll let'cha know aboudditt. If you want strictly the stickiest hoops on the planet the guys at the 'Rack'll let'cha know aboudditt.
Their job is to know about n' sell tires.
Their knowledge from testin' far supercedes any three guys that have only tried one r' two brands apiece.
You wanna know the latest answers to your tire questions? It's only a phone call away n' don't cost ya anythin' but the exertion of dialin'.
Be well.
Java
Old 02-12-2007, 09:19 PM

I would just stick with the OEM tires because their sizes are not the same as a typical aftermarket tire.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:16 PM

you can't go wrong with the OE Tires, cuz dry weather traction they're pretty good. wet weather, completely different story. I've recently ordered some Falken FK452s on my tire, and for the 1st 1K miles, it just wasn't gripping as well as the Potenzas, but wet weather traction, it felt much more stable when i hit turns. hope that helps. BTW, it's a bit cheaper than the RE050s. paid 600 for the 4 sets with mounting and warranty through America's Tire.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:13 PM

I was leaning heavily towards the Dunlop SP Sports Maxx or the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Anyone have any experience?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:22 PM

I think that having AP2s on the road for about 3 years now, the consensus is that for a daily driven car the stock RE050s are the best tire. There are several reasons why:

1. They are outstanding tires. They're just really good. Really. My opinion but I think shared by most...
2. We have an akward size issue on the front (they're labeled '215's but are actually about as wide as your average '195'), so finding appropriately sized replacements is not easy (read: impossible).
3. Treadwear is not really that bad, considering what kind of tire they are.

My personal experience is with my MY04, had it for three years and at 45,000 miles now. I replace rear tires every 18,000 miles. My original fronts made it to 36,000 miles...so at 45,000 I am on my third set of rear tires and my second set of fronts.

I autocross the car very often, on the stock RE050s. I also run a pretty aggressive alignment, but the RE050s don't show abnormal wear. The RE050s are very good in autocross, obviously not as good as an R-compound, but they are still a ton of fun.

Personally, I have seriously investigated moving to a stickier summer tire, such as the RE-01R, but I keep coming to the conclusion that when front/rear stagger of section width are included in the decision that the stock RE050s are the best bet. Until they come out with a 215 or 255 RE-01R at least!

Sorry I can't give you any hard data, but these were all my opinions based on my own experience...

EDIT: This thread has some good info you should check out if you haven't already.

EDIT: One last thing! You mentioned you're in the northeast, as I am now. Just be aware that driving on the OEM tires (or any other summer tire) during the winter when it's COLD will be a little more risky. The tires will definitely lose grip when it's cold out (say, below freezing) due to the compound becoming harder. I have winter tires not just for snow, but to be better off in cold temperatures.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:39 AM

Hi guys, I've godda agree with Coast's take on the 050s. I guess alot of us have done our homework n' tried to find somethin' that's stickier for the majority of the year, but only recently have I found anything that's seemed to compare favorably with 'em: the BFG KD2s. (Strictly readin' abouddem, no actual experience)
But, then again, proper sizin's a little tricky, as the actual surface widths of the tires apparently isn't on the same scale. (Why have numbers if you're gonna vary from 'em? 'Makes no sense to me)
So, except for the Dunlop WinterSports that're allowin' me to go out n' play in the winter, I've also come down to the 050s bein' the most fun n' certainly, the easiest to put on.
For me anyway.
Be well.
Java

Quick Reply: Best Tires for a Stock AP2