Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did your Honda Dealer tell any of you about this?

Old 05-26-2003, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Did your Honda Dealer tell any of you about this?

As an old retired lawyer, It seems to me that the Honda dealer (or someone) had a duty to tell us (before we bought the s2k) that the tire wear was far short of what we, the public, have come to expect from any "street" car. I know the tires are excluded from Honda's warranty, and the Bridgestone warranty has no tire wear guarantee. The duty does not arise out of warranty, but rather out of the doctrine of constructive fraud. In Oklahoma, when a seller knows that some hidden situation affecting the product makes it fall significantly short of what the public is known to expect, the seller has a duty to divulge it. To do otherwise is constructive fraud. But my dealer said nothing about this sub-10,000 tire life. It's not mentioned in owners manual, warranty book, or tire info sheet.

I've owned a good number of performance cars, starting with my '64 GTO, where I got at least 20,000 miles plus out of those undersized 2 ply rayons, despite "lighting up" the rears many times. Then Camaros, "Zs", RX'7s, Eagle Talon Turbos, and even a Miata which I drove like a go cart around corners and got 30,000 miles on the OEMs. And I have never seen or heard of OEMs that won't even get 10,000 miles when driven conservatively.

The worst thing about this is not the money I will be out for new tires. My dealer showed me a set of s2k OEMs that had 10k on them, and the rears were running on cord! Seems the owner didn't know about this problem, and (like most of us) didn't even think about checking ANY tires for wear until about 20k miles based on experience with many other cars. He came in to have a "funny noise" checked out, which turned out to be the steel belts hitting the pavement! Frankly, this situation is going to get somebody killed, if it hasn't already.

Maybe my case is a rare one, but I was not told at any point in the sale that the tires would become word and dangerous at below 10k miles. (Just as a point, Lexus DOES point this out in their brochures on the SC 430.) Were any of you informed of this at time of purchase?

Thanks,
Richard

Old 05-26-2003, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by dolebludger

I had over 30,000 miles on my OEM rears before replacement. I have 45,000 on my beotch right at this moment with the original OEM fronts.

As you can see I still have tread.

By the way, just before the above pic I ran er up past 100 mph and spent 45 min going up the mountain twisties. I had NO slippage. Tight tires
Old 05-26-2003, 08:28 AM

The wear rating is stamped right on the tire.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:52 AM

PWRMKR:

HOW DID YOU DO THAT? I drive very conservatively and have very noticeable wear at 8500, which others on this board report as normal.

WOODSON:

As Jim or Alex from Tire Rack will tell you, the tire wear rating is virtually meaningless information, as there are no Govt. standards for what is stated.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:59 AM

As are the mpg ratings, but in both cases they are good for comparison purposes.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:06 AM
Former Moderator

I have 21000 miles and still have what looks like about 5000 miles at least of thread and still excellent grip from the tires.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:16 AM

What do you consider "very conservatively"?
I got my car with 2500 miles and for a full year commuted over 50 miles, one way, on interstate. Some miles were stop and go for hours and some, speed limit miles. I had to have some fun with er, of course
I'm not sure why I got so many miles. Accurate factory alignment? I've never had it checked.

The long commute is now over. Now I have time to Yes, I tend to beat them up a little more now. I believe I might get close to 30,000 on my second set of rears. I've got over 15,000 on them now and still going strong.

Many on the board will also report 2 rears to 1 front.

Your "conservatively" is not all that conservative, or you need an alignment.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:17 AM

Guys:

Something strange is going on here. You who have gotten high mileage from your treadwear, what is the year model of your s2ks. Mine is an '01. I am a 60 year old man who doesn't even try to spin the rears, doesn't race, or do anything else abusive. The guy with the steel belts hanging out at 10k miles was a mature doctor! And this board is full of posts about sub-10k treadwear.

I don't doubt the truthfulness of anyone here. I'm just wondering in Bridgestone has made some modifications of which I did not get the advantage.

Anyone know?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-26-2003, 09:33 AM

I think PWRMKR may have touched on it. Have you had your alignment checked? I drive very aggressively (but no burn-outs) and expect to get a little over 10,000 miles out of them. If I were a fool and drove until the cord was showing, I would get 15,000 miles.

I've read on this board that some S2000's alignment is out of spec from day 1.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:36 AM

I have over 34,000 miles on my OEM SO2s and they look like I can get probably a few more
grand out of them. I'm actually really surprised this is the case because I also have the
UK recommended alignment, which is a lot more aggressive. (more negative camber etc.).

I've read posts in which other owners had to replace them under 10,000 miles!!!

Could it be an alignment issue? Maybe the way the cars are being transported when they
are new affects the factory alignment setup?

I'm curious......

One thing I was disappointed at the dealer for not telling me
was how much oil my car would burn during the initial break-in
period. Fortunately I checked it often, though I dread to think
what might have happened if I didn't.

Quick Reply: Did your Honda Dealer tell any of you about this?