Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DUBS something different

Old 05-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only way someone should do what you plan on doing is with a widebodykit....
Old 05-02-2008, 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=btstone84,May 2 2008, 11:35 AM]it will look extremely clean.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:43 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldn't do it. The larger diameter wheels on this car would make it look like a scraper.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,May 2 2008, 03:57 PM
yeah 19s look like ass too. in other words,

Old 05-03-2008, 12:48 AM

^ you are one of the few acceptions

To the OP: Look at the tire profile above, think long and hard, and tell me you want to go for an even bigger wheel. We are not trying to be mean, just want to save you headache in the long run.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:29 AM

I'm surprised no one has touched on the performance aspect of such large wheels... The performance hit will be in no way minor. You will definitely feel the difference.

First off, you're adding unsprung weight. Why would you buy an S2000 then go and do that? You're degrading your car's handling at the expense of being fashionable. Whatever, it's your car and your money...

Second, the relationship between different wheel weights isn't at all linear. Suppose we have two wheels, wheel A and wheel B. they are both exactly the same model, except that wheel A is 17", and wheel B is 20". Naturally, wheel B is going to weigh X lbs more than wheel A, too. While that in and of itself will present a handling issue in the form of the first reason, that's only [at most] half of the picture. It will now cost more energy to accelerate/decelerate your car because of the added mass along the periphery of your new ballin' wheels. Your quarter mile times will suffer. Your braking performance will suffer. You, sir, will suffer.

Third, I *think* there is something the be said for higher gyroscopic forces in unsprung regions of the car. Someone should chime in on this.

I am genuinely curious: why buy such an awesome driving machine and then go and do that to it? Form follows function. You need a new plan... Why not grab a nice set of 17" Prodrives, fit as much rubber under the fenders as possible, and then revel in your more-perfect machine.

-LRW
Old 05-03-2008, 06:49 AM

I put on my factory wheels with drag radials when i go to the track this only for the weekends that i drive, i dont do road racing, i only drag and i change the tires for that
Old 05-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Lukerw51,May 3 2008, 07:29 AM
I'm surprised no one has touched on the performance aspect of such large wheels... The performance hit will be in no way minor. You will definitely feel the difference.

First off, you're adding unsprung weight. Why would you buy an S2000 then go and do that? You're degrading your car's handling at the expense of being fashionable. Whatever, it's your car and your money...

Second, the relationship between different wheel weights isn't at all linear. Suppose we have two wheels, wheel A and wheel B. they are both exactly the same model, except that wheel A is 17", and wheel B is 20". Naturally, wheel B is going to weigh X lbs more than wheel A, too. While that in and of itself will present a handling issue in the form of the first reason, that's only [at most] half of the picture. It will now cost more energy to accelerate/decelerate your car because of the added mass along the periphery of your new ballin' wheels. Your quarter mile times will suffer. Your braking performance will suffer. You, sir, will suffer.

Third, I *think* there is something the be said for higher gyroscopic forces in unsprung regions of the car. Someone should chime in on this.

I am genuinely curious: why buy such an awesome driving machine and then go and do that to it? Form follows function. You need a new plan... Why not grab a nice set of 17" Prodrives, fit as much rubber under the fenders as possible, and then revel in your more-perfect machine.

-LRW
My HREs weigh 4lbs more per wheel than my stockers do, and that's with a LOT more rubber on the road. For day to day driving I really can't tell much difference between the two (if any). Having had the wheels apart, I'd be willing to bet money that more weight is concentrated closer to the hub with the HREs. The outer rim is VERY light.

With that said, in a performance test, I'd never run the HREs. I'm sure there is a measurable difference. If nothing else, the overall profile is larger with them than it is with the stockers. That's why I still have my stock wheels and will be picking up a set of light weight 17" wheels like Volk RE30s or something soon for track days. The big wheels are just my.... bling bling.

To the OP, I don't think 20" wheels are going to work. They're going to be too big to run a tire that's even close to stock height. Look at mine, is there any reason to go bigger?
Old 05-04-2008, 04:53 PM

I just got back from Puerto Rico, and I believe that for some reason people here are able to fit wheels under cars most people would swear would never fit. But they do! I wish I would have taken pictures. All I am saying is that people will say they don't fit and would look whatever, but you will never know until you try them. I'm sure with some creativity you would be able to run 20"s, and I bet the car would look pretty good. Of course, to each his own, some might not like it, but some do (hopefully your self included), and thats all that matters. Each member will answer the question based on their own interests and experiences, which is exactly why we have forums - to augment our enthusiatic creativity. So I say try it and post some pics. You might be the first member to run 20"s and start a whole new style.

I've been trying to do a 18 front 19 rear set up, and so far have not been able to. I'm trying to find a local shop where I can try various fitments and tires, so far to no avail. But after seeing cars like Flight's and s2kaxis, i guess I would call them pioneers, just makes me want to try harder, which is also a reason why these forums are so valuable.

Personally, I have another "good handling" car I beat on, so if I loose some balance or power or whatever on the 2000, it doesn't bother me much. Plus, wheels are like shoes, and are probably the easiest modification to swap out and change. Hey, maybe I don't drive fast or live in Michigan where there are no curves anyway (NOT!).

I say DO IT and please post some pics when you do, or write back if they don't fit as well. We can all use the knowledge
Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 PM

Not my cup of tea, but if it suits your tastes then by all means go for it.

But there's no point in getting mad over these responses. MOST on this forum will not agree with you.

Quick Reply: DUBS something different