Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FORGED 17X10 Volk CE28RT Rigid Tune Track wheels - interested?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ7
I have RPF1s, my car drives to the track and on the track almost exclusively and Id be glad to pay for a 17x10 Volk that clears BBK for less than $2500. Make this happen!
PM replied, less than $2500 for Volks new is not happening tho

- All Items Are Shipped Via FedEx.
- All Orders Are Repackaged To Help Prevent Any Damage Which May Occur During Transit.
- Any Order Cancellation Will Result In A 25% Processing Fee.
- Local Pick-Ups Available. Please Call For Details.
- No Cancellation on JDM Or Special Orders. No Exceptions!
Old 11-16-2013, 06:24 AM
JJ7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^I just realized my math was bad. I was going off the prices in your first post but just made a wishful error.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mule22
Tuner guys with wide bodied street cars would be a market for this wheel. The ones who are concerned with BBK fitment. A true race guy will want an offset to widen the stance for more grip. The S2000 is light enough that a BBK is not necessary for racing, uprgaded brakes yes, BBK no. Here is the perfect wheel for a race guy: a 17x10 with an offset between +35-+45, FORGED wheel between $300-$400/wheel. I know wishful thinking right? Again, just my $.02.
Strongly disagree.

- Tuner guys with wide bodied street cars are looking for wheels with offsets much lower than ~45

- OEM sized rotors and pads are grossly inadequate for track use on r-comps, or even tires like RS3's. Sure, you can get the job done, but you're going to be wasting time and money replacing pads and rotors every 2nd time you head to the track. I've done hundreds of laps on OEM rotors/calipers, and easily double the amount of laps with my BBK. I have gone through 1/4 the amount of rotors and pads with double the mileage, on more aggressive tires to boot.

- +35 is too low of an offset for track guys wanting to use 10" wheels on near-oem fenders. +45-50 is more reasonable.

- Forged wheels ain't happening at that price point. Wish it wasn't true...

Originally Posted by Mule22
You started with this statement "but I wanted to bring a different wheel and wanted to find something cheaper for the track guys". If you are targeting track guys $800/wheel isn't going to do it. I define "track guy" as someone who trailers the car to the track because it is no longer street legal. I have been racing cars for years, an Audi, BMW, a Porsche, and now an S2000. Track guys have at LEAST two sets (8) of wheels. Most have 12 wheels. The ones who can afford $800/wheel get custom CCWs, or multi piece wheels. Rota is a cheap wheel and if it breaks you finish the weekend with 11 wheels instead of 12. You can break 4 Rotas for the price of one Volk. This is just how most racers think unless he has too much money, and then he is driving a 911 cup car because that's the iconic race car......right? Enkei is a good 17x10 option currently.
Strongly, strongly agree with this. Forged is nice to have, and great for bragging rights, but it's not required. Most guys are not going to spend $800+ per wheel if there is a very good chance they are going to get scuffed or damaged. FWIW, there are lots of guys competing on slick tires mounted to "cheap" Rota's without failure. That's not to say strength and safety shouldn't be a major concern. Nor am I suggesting to go the custom Rota route. After all, you're running a business and need to be selling a product that suits the image of your company, and blends in well with your other product offerings. So the Rota's are not an option for Gruppe-S, IMHO of course. The targets need to be re-evaluated. The primary objective should be cost, and not whether its a forged or cast wheel.

- Target an MSRP of $1200-1500 per set
- Look for cast wheels from a reputable manufacturer
- BBK fitment
- Look for similar off the shelf wheels that can be modified. For example, Advan makes a few rims in 17x9.5 +35. Would they be able to simply shave 10mm from the back pads to make it a +45, and still maintain the safety certifications? If not, it would likely still be cheaper to re-test and certify something that's simply a modification of an existing product.

IMHO, Enkei fits the bill. Quality, light weight, reasonable price, nice looking (depending on model). Question is whether or not they are willing to do a custom 17x10 +45ish wheel. And if so, how many tens, or hundreds of wheels will you need to order for them to even consider it? How about Weds Sport?
Old 11-17-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

17x10 +50 is ideal and should have no problems fitting BBK(17x9 +54 fits most BBK and 17x10 +50 has the same face placement as 17x9 +37).
Old 11-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
IMHO, Enkei fits the bill. Quality, light weight, reasonable price, nice looking (depending on model). Question is whether or not they are willing to do a custom 17x10 +45ish wheel. And if so, how many tens, or hundreds of wheels will you need to order for them to even consider it? How about Weds Sport?
In the case of Enkei, I have to spend $20K to $25K for testing. I would pay it, but they cannot promise me that they will pass, because the RPF1 is old. They aren't sure if the RPF1 will pass current testing standards, so this money is hopes that it would pass. So it's a pure gamble and no guarantee. Then I can purchase the wheel after the test at normal prices. If they promised it would pass, I could consider it.

The rest of the guys don't want to even make a 17x10 even if I pay the tooling cost. The tooling cost is going to run from $15 to $20K and minimum initial order of 200 wheels I have run every scenario and tried to do something for you guys. If you guys want a cheaper version of a 17x10, like many have said, there are the ROTAs. Unfortunately no one with Enkei type of technology wants to make this size wheel. Also your 17x9.5 idea was approached countless times, they cannot shave 10mm off the back of the pad. I don't think many of the 17x9.5 +35s will even clear BBKs and taking 10mm off will make it impossible.

Trust me, I have been trying to find something like this for you guys, 1 year project and still going on I guess.

- All Orders Are Repackaged To Help Prevent Any Damage Which May Occur During Transit.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by av8ter
17x10 +50 is ideal and should have no problems fitting BBK(17x9 +54 fits most BBK and 17x10 +50 has the same face placement as 17x9 +37).
The problem with these offsets according to many is that they can clear the BBK, but have problems clearing the coilovers. I guess people could use spacers, but at this price. I think most guys wouldn't want to do that.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
Originally Posted by av8ter' timestamp='1384731614' post='22881511
The problem with these offsets according to many is that they can clear the BBK, but have problems clearing the coilovers. I guess people could use spacers, but at this price. I think most guys wouldn't want to do that.

+50 is too close to coil over(inner clearance)? Not sure how that would be. It would be the same as 17x9 +63 as far as inner clearance which is a very popular spec.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:23 PM

17x10 +50. Something tells me it is doable.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/785...e28n-17x10-50/
Old 11-18-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gruppe-S
Originally Posted by 06Estukay' timestamp='1384683497' post='22880911

Also your 17x9.5 idea was approached countless times, they cannot shave 10mm off the back of the pad. I don't think many of the 17x9.5 +35s will even clear BBKs and taking 10mm off will make it impossible.
Not really true for all rims.. in my example of Advan, their lower offset wheels provide insane amounts of bbk clearance.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
Originally Posted by Gruppe-S' timestamp='1384803605' post='22882748
[quote name='06Estukay' timestamp='1384683497' post='22880911']

Also your 17x9.5 idea was approached countless times, they cannot shave 10mm off the back of the pad. I don't think many of the 17x9.5 +35s will even clear BBKs and taking 10mm off will make it impossible.
Not really true for all rims.. in my example of Advan, their lower offset wheels provide insane amounts of bbk clearance.
[/quote]

I sent you a PM, guys have been telling me the price they have been quoted for the Advans. Would you pay a little bit more for Volks or say the few bucks to get Advan. I think at this point the price difference for the Advan is very minimal, but the quality difference and size difference is drastic. I can understand comparing the price difference for Enkeis and Volks. If you can afford to pay for Advan, why not pay just a bit more for a forged wheel with the size that is super rare?

Quick Reply: FORGED 17X10 Volk CE28RT Rigid Tune Track wheels - interested?