Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my stock ap2 v1 widen to 17x10.5 with 275/40/17 nt05

Old 10-08-2013, 12:09 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

The back end is raised a little do to the taller tire. I really want to go with the 295/35/17

Old 10-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Site Moderator

Received 349 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by riceball777
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1380735399' post='22807414
Cool fun to see someone other then myself implement a creative solution to a problem. I'm not sure if I would have executed it in the exact fashion with stock wheels, but looks like you achieved what you wanted with a good centered fitment for the tire of choice

As someone who runs the discontinued 295/35/17 XS, when/if they start producing that size again in the next XS gen/replacement in 2014, you may find fitting it on that narrow of a rim with your current offset an issue. Its a wide 12" tire and will be slightly pinched on that rim, so inner and outer clearance is going to be something you will have to look at closely as your wheel travels through its suspension travel. A wider rim actually helps with spreading the sidewall out to help fitment as the wheel cambers in on upstroke. With some added fender work and playing with different spacers, you might be able to make it happen.

*** Also the large factory shocks are going to limit the wheel spacing you can run as well depending on your ride height. Lowering would actually help in that regard. Or better yet get some aftermarket coilovers.
I just to have tein flex but I got tired of having a lower car. I drive the car every day 100+ miles a day so it need to go up steep driveways and needs to be as comfortable as possible.
Summit racing shows as havering the kumho 295-35-17 in stock. I hope more people will come out with street tires in that size.
Can you post some good pics of your car with the 295-35-17. What kind of work did you have to do to make them fit? I feel if I roll my fenders I should be able to fit them. Do you think my rims are wide enough to run the 295-35-17? My 275/40/17 most definitely are stretched on my 10.5 rim.
Wait you drive your turbo S 100+ miles a day yet you want to most comfortable drivable car? I would have bought a cheap daily driver ages ago. That kind of daily duty cannot be doing wonders for the longevity of your setup and having some good stiff suspension would probably help alot with the traction issues. Anyways the wheels look nuts and glad they worked out.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

The back end is raised a little do to the taller tire. I really want to go with the 295/35/17

Looks like the suspension is as well. I'd probably lower it some to at least help offset the taller sidewall. I don’t imagine it feels all that confidence inspiring around corners as is.

How’s the traction improvement in a strait line with those tires? Ive heard some mixed feelings on the NT05's, haven’t run them myself.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Originally Posted by riceball777' timestamp='1380746232' post='22807826
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1380735399' post='22807414']
Cool fun to see someone other then myself implement a creative solution to a problem. I'm not sure if I would have executed it in the exact fashion with stock wheels, but looks like you achieved what you wanted with a good centered fitment for the tire of choice

As someone who runs the discontinued 295/35/17 XS, when/if they start producing that size again in the next XS gen/replacement in 2014, you may find fitting it on that narrow of a rim with your current offset an issue. Its a wide 12" tire and will be slightly pinched on that rim, so inner and outer clearance is going to be something you will have to look at closely as your wheel travels through its suspension travel. A wider rim actually helps with spreading the sidewall out to help fitment as the wheel cambers in on upstroke. With some added fender work and playing with different spacers, you might be able to make it happen.

*** Also the large factory shocks are going to limit the wheel spacing you can run as well depending on your ride height. Lowering would actually help in that regard. Or better yet get some aftermarket coilovers.
I just to have tein flex but I got tired of having a lower car. I drive the car every day 100+ miles a day so it need to go up steep driveways and needs to be as comfortable as possible.
Summit racing shows as havering the kumho 295-35-17 in stock. I hope more people will come out with street tires in that size.
Can you post some good pics of your car with the 295-35-17. What kind of work did you have to do to make them fit? I feel if I roll my fenders I should be able to fit them. Do you think my rims are wide enough to run the 295-35-17? My 275/40/17 most definitely are stretched on my 10.5 rim.
Wait you drive your turbo S 100+ miles a day yet you want to most comfortable drivable car? I would have bought a cheap daily driver ages ago. That kind of daily duty cannot be doing wonders for the longevity of your setup and having some good stiff suspension would probably help alot with the traction issues. Anyways the wheels look nuts and glad they worked out.
[/quote]

Yes I drive 100-150 miles per day. I have my turbo s2000 and my highly modded evo 8 to split my miles. I been doing this for 7 years now as I'm an insurance agent that drive to meet with lots of clients. So I spend a hell of a lot of money and time maintaining my cars. That plus my $30 per day fuel expense it can get quite expensive. But it's all worth it to me as I love driving my cars. I would hate my life if I had to drive some pos beater or even worse some shitty hybrid/ Prius. I dont like driving slow cars. If you spend the time and money to maintain your car even a high power turbo s2000/evo can be reliable. When ever my car breaks down or has some kind of issue (which happens lot) I just end up working on the car of my time off and just drive my other car to work.

Because i spend so much time in my car i want it to be as comfertable as possible. I use to have coilovers on my s200 and evo but i got tires of driving so much with a lower car. Stock suspension is so much easier on my 100+ mile a day commute. I also actually run faster times when i autocross my cars with the stock suspension compared to my old tein flex setup.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by riceball777' timestamp='1381219742' post='22816547

Looks like the suspension is as well. I'd probably lower it some to at least help offset the taller sidewall. I don’t imagine it feels all that confidence inspiring around corners as is.

How’s the traction improvement in a strait line with those tires? Ive heard some mixed feelings on the NT05's, haven’t run the myself.
I'm thinking of going with the 295/35/17 after these tires die and I hope the car will be lower as thats about the same diameter as a 255/40/17. I also hope kumho makes more times in that size as its nearly impossible to find a 295/35/17 street tire.

In terms are straight line traction this actually made a substantial difference. Before with the stock 17x8.5 with 255/40/17 hankook rs3's the car would loose traction about 50% of the time in first gear when boost came on. Not that problem is virtually gone.

I'm also going to an autocross next month so well see how this setup does there.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn' timestamp='1381258403' post='22817405
[quote name='riceball777' timestamp='1380746232' post='22807826']
[quote name='s2000Junky' timestamp='1380735399' post='22807414']

[/quote]

Yes I drive 100-150 miles per day. I have my turbo s2000 and my highly modded evo 8 to split my miles. I been doing this for 7 years now as I'm an insurance agent that drive to meet with lots of clients. So I spend a hell of a lot of money and time maintaining my cars. That plus my $30 per day fuel expense it can get quite expensive. But it's all worth it to me as I love driving my cars. I would hate my life if I had to drive some pos beater or even worse some shitty hybrid/ Prius. If you spend the time and money to maintain your car even a high power turbo s2000/evo can be reliable. When ever my car breaks down or has some kind of issue (which happens lot) I just end up working on the car of my time off and just drive my other car to work.

Because i spend so much time in my car i want it to be as comfertable as possible. I use to have coilovers on my s200 and evo but i got tires of driving so much with a lower car. Stock suspension is so much easier on my 100+ mile a day commute. I also actually run faster times when i autocross my cars with the stock suspension compared to my old tein flex setup.
[/quote]

Sounds all to familiar. Mine is 85 miles a day $20 gas.

My S is highly modded however, but when the weather is decent, its my primary choice to DD, too damn fun to stay out of.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:56 AM

I have done an auto cross and have went drag racing with this setup now and I can say that this mod makes a huge huge difference in terms of traction and grip in both straight line drag racing and in auto cross.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have any pics from behind the car?
Old 03-17-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many autocross, drag and other kind of race have you done since you widened your wheels ? Any signs of weakness on the wheels ? Thinking about doing it too but want to see/know how it holds vs stress
Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 AM

I have done about 5,000 miles with this setup. 3 auto cross days and 2 drag days. So far so good. I'm loving the huge increase in traction over 255/40/17.

Quick Reply: Got my stock ap2 v1 widen to 17x10.5 with 275/40/17 nt05