Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to detect that your S02s are nearing the end and should be replaced??

Old 12-03-2001, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the 2nd layer is supposed to be a softer compound than the 1st. So although it the shallower tread won't clear water as well, they would probably be a little stickier in the dry.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:16 PM

BTW, have you become a motorcyclist yet? You were showing interest a while back.
Thanks for remembering xviper! and thanks for all the excellent advice you and others offered me back then.

I went ahead and took the MSF course and got my motorcycle license. Unfortunately financial constraints are preventing me from purchasing my motorbike at the current time. Hopefully within the next 6-9 months
Old 12-04-2001, 05:26 PM

Mike - thanks for the links to those pics of the wear bars. I am sorry to say this but I cannot exactly make out what and where the wear bars are Could you or someone else describe where I should be looking?

Thanks
Old 12-04-2001, 05:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Moneeb
Mike - thanks for the links to those pics of the wear bars. I am sorry to say this but I cannot exactly make out what and where the wear bars are Could you or someone else describe where I should be looking?

Thanks
In the outside pic: it's the things with a slight pink tinge to them.
In the inside pic: Follow the two vertical grooves (right half of pic). The groove has a gap in it before it continues to the bottom of the page. This gap is the wear bar. When the bar is level with the tire tread, you should be thinking about getting new tires. When the wear bars are worn out and don't exist, you're in big trouble.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by speeeding
[B]I think the 2nd layer is supposed to be a softer compound than the 1st.
Old 12-05-2001, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by 2kturkey

Quite the opposite as a matter of fact. The 2nd layer is a harder compound and is designed to dissipate heat from the tyre core as well as maintain structural rigidity. Accordingly, it offers much poorer grip. You obviously haven't worn your tyres enough Speedster, just wait till you do - you'll definitely notice the difference.
This is how it is with regular tires. I seem to remember that the S-02 marketing said that they operated otherwise.

Anyone else remember this?
Old 12-05-2001, 07:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jschmidt
[B]This is how it is with regular tires. I seem to remember that the S-02 marketing said that they operated otherwise.
Old 12-05-2001, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The S02 that is original equipment does not have a dual layer compound, only the Pole Position tires have that.
As far as changing the tires the wear bar is at 2/32nd tread depth. At this level the wet traction has deteriorated but the dry should still be good. Most people will change a little before this area.
If I can help let me know.
Thank you

Jim 800-428-8355-364
Old 12-05-2001, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Jim@tirerack
The S02 that is original equipment does not have a dual layer compound, only the Pole Position tires have that.
Another misunderstanding bites the dust.

Different compounds, different tread configuration, different relationship to nominal sizing, flatter tread.

Seems like calling these things S-02s is just hyperbole. Wonder what Bridgestone actually thinks of the Honda specifications. If they are perfect, why didn't they incorporate them?
Old 12-10-2001, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jschmidt
Wonder what Bridgestone actually thinks of the Honda specifications. If they are perfect, why didn't they incorporate them?
Just out of curiosity, it was my understanding that Honda asked Bridgestone to (help?) design a tire for the S2000, is this correct or did Honda give Bridgestone specs and simply ask them to manufacture the tires?

Quick Reply: How to detect that your S02s are nearing the end and should be replaced??