Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: For people who have used SO-3's...
SO-3's are the better alround tyre
53.42%
SO-2's are the better alround tyre
46.58%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

For people who have used SO-3's...

Old 10-24-2001, 02:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default For people who have used SO-3's...

I have heard so many conflicting reports on here about the SO-2 / SO-3 argument, I would like to hear from those who run or have run SO-3's whether they think they are a better all round choice than that SO-2's, considering that the car is a daily driver and will be driven in the wet and the dry, and never tracked or raced....

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.....
Old 10-25-2001, 04:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, if you drive your car like a grandmother, never over 80mph, never take turns fast, never 'race' any of your buddies, never show off the car to people, never have to swerve to avoid things at decent speeds... then two things apply to you:

1) The S03s are perfect for you

2) You need to give one of us your S2000 because you don't need it and go buy yourself an Accord.

I have personally tested out both sets of tires and am here to tell you that the S02s are there when you need them on the roads (mine is a daily driver) and the S03s can let go and send you slipping and sliding into a ditch. I watched the guys on the dragon who ran S03s. A$$ end everywhere. Couldn't keep it on the road to save their lives. Even on our most recent touring drive, normal speeds, normal roads, the S03 guys were sideways.

It's not about 'tracking or racing'. Its about balance and safety. The S02JZs are specifically designed for the safety, balance and performance of the car. There is a very specific reason why neither Honda nor Bridgestone endorse the S03 for the S2000. Sure, the retailers will be happy to sell them to you since it is the latest model and they have to get the inventory out, but its not right. I have the bulletin from Bridgestone that outlines the S02JZ and why.

I can't argue that the s03 isnt better hauling ass through a rain puddle. But if I was into that I would get a truck. I bought a sports car because I want the car to be 'there' when I need it, no matter where I am or what I am doing.
Old 10-25-2001, 05:07 AM

Received 5,077 Likes on 3,060 Posts

I don't have any personal experience on them, and don't plan to. But here's my notes on them:

Per Bridgestone tire reps (forum) comparing the S-02 and S-03. The technology of the S-03 is intended to replace the S-02 PP as an all season performance tire. The compounds are harder to start with and designed to resist further hardening until the second layer of compound is further exposed. The S-03 does not have the dry grip of the OEM S-02 and far less contact patch. The sidewalls are somewhat softer so the car will ride smoother but turning response will not be as crisp as the S-02. The S-03 is a superior rain tire due to improvements in both the compounds and tread design.
Overall the S-03 should last longer, provide smoother ride and handle extremely well in the rain. Dry performance is comparable to other rain tires. The S-03 is also available in non-stock sizes for aftermarket wheels.

The OEM S-02 continues to be a better choice for dry handling performance for those with stock size wheels that demand ultimate grip. Wet handling is good until the tire wears then performance deteriorates rapidly, especially after 8000 miles. If you require more grip look to track tires but rain performance is marginal to none.
Old 10-25-2001, 08:20 AM

Believe me I have both the S02 and S03 on the car now. The S02 (Front) grip a lot better and I can fell the S03 lack of side wall stiffness. I use to wiggle my S within the lanes and the S would be sold from rightto-left-to-right. Now it's as wiggle time when you can feel the sidewalls flex. the cantact patch is not as big on the S03's and I feel that I will go beck to S02 as soon as the rear wears out. I only have 600mile son them I'll see if it will improve when I hit the second layer.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the S03's and like 'em alot.

I probably have as much or more competetive driving experience as most on the board and think they're a great tire.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO The S-02PP's will wear longer but are NOT as good a tire as the S-02 by a long shot. The real question is are the S-03PP's better than OEM for GRIP and HANDLING since we already know they will wear longer. I will stick with OEM tires until such time as there is a better tire FOR THE S2000, not a 328i/other. We need a head to head test of these two tires on an S2000 (Jim??).

The evidence thus far indicates to me that the S-03PP is better than the S-02PP but not as good as the OEM S-02. I guess what I'm saying is that I want to know if the S-03PP is a better performing tire rather than if you prefer them (for whatever reason) over the OEM S-02.

My $0.02
Old 10-26-2001, 06:35 AM
Banned

The information from dlq and cthree is exactly correct. There is no equal or sequel to the S02JZ... ON THE S2000. The S03 is pretty much the same as adding any other rain tire to your perfectly balanced sports car. It's just like addding a Michelin MXV4+ sedan tire. Enhanced wear, enhanced water treading, complete loss of side/side performance. I wore mine beyond the 600 mile mark and they never got better. Bridgestone says that they are working on a sequel tire for the S2000 but it will not be the S03 because the balance and tread pattern is all wrong for the car. Remember the text from Bridgestone/Firestone in their technical bulletin on the S2000:

"The Honda S2000 is fitted with a version of the Bridgestone Potenza S02 specifically designed to enhance the vehicle's chassis dynamics and to optimize the ride and handling characteristics. "

The S03s are NOT set up for the S2000. Just becasue they are a newer tire, does not mean they are a better tire. Some of the industry guys have been saying that Bridgestone is completely rethinking the S03 and are already working on a replacement model because of issues with the tread pattern.

Jim and the Tire Rack DO carry the correct tire for the S2000. It is not, however, the S03.
Old 10-26-2001, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by cthree
IMO The S-02PP's will wear longer but are NOT as good a tire as the S-02 by a long shot. The real question is are the S-03PP's better than OEM for GRIP and HANDLING since we already know they will wear longer. I will stick with OEM tires until such time as there is a better tire FOR THE S2000, not a 328i/other. We need a head to head test of these two tires on an S2000 (Jim??).

The evidence thus far indicates to me that the S-03PP is better than the S-02PP but not as good as the OEM S-02. I guess what I'm saying is that I want to know if the S-03PP is a better performing tire rather than if you prefer them (for whatever reason) over the OEM S-02.

My $0.02
I keep seeing this idea pop-up (I started a thread on it myself). I'm sure the tire rack could get a few of you CA owners to donate a couple of runs on a slalom course and a skid pad for this cause.

I have no doubts that SS is correct about the OEM tires, but it would be nice to get a better picture of how much better they are. There are people that might be willing to sacrifice some dry grip if we could quantify how much they would loose and any improvements the SO3 may have in other areas.
Old 10-26-2001, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you diehard S02'ers meet me at the Dragon Sat we'll settle this once and for all.
Old 10-26-2001, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Mack
All you diehard S02'ers meet me at the Dragon Sat we'll settle this once and for all.
<snicker> I thought we already did.... all those S03s going sideways in the turns...

I get my new S02JZs on Wed. Always up for putting the smack down.

Quick Reply: For people who have used SO-3's...