Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: For people who have used SO-3's...
SO-3's are the better alround tyre
53.42%
SO-2's are the better alround tyre
46.58%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

For people who have used SO-3's...

Old 10-30-2001, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone here (posting/lurking) other than myself have any long term "real world" experience with the S03? If you do I'd love to hear your opinion.

I find it interesting that many owners choose to proffess facts when the fact is they either have very limited or no experience with the S03. Looks to me out of all the posts only two of you have actually had the S03 on your S2000 (albiet for a limited time) and the rest are reffering to what they read on some other thread or heard from some other S2000 owner. (you know I've never eaten chocolate ice cream but I hear it tastes like shit. Sure does look like it!)

Wonder why those other owners aren't weighing in?

I know........ it's an old dead topic.

Check out that poll! Wonder how many of you guys that have never tried the S03 and are talking it down voted for the S02?
Old 10-30-2001, 02:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Orthonormal
That interpretation isn't quite correct. The OEM is about 20mm wider than its nominal size, so any tire you picked that conformed to standard sizing would require a 245 width to match the S2000 OE rears, including the standard 225/50-16 S-02s.

I have driven an S2000 with the OE tires, and I have to say that there was some noticable sidewall flex associated with the back end even with those. So having a 245 tire on a 7.5" wheel does seem to have an effect, even if you call it a 225 tire.

Ortho, the OEM S02 has a different profile than the S03, it is more square. That's why it takes a 245 series tires in other models/brands to equal the width of the 225 series OEM. That's not to say that the width at the inner diameter of the 225 series OEM S02 is not more narrow than that of a 245 series tire. That's the portion that mates to the rim so the additional tire "bulge" that you get on a 245 series tire is due to the additional width of the inner diameter of the wider tire.

I've seen Mack's tires and they did look like the 245 series S03 was "squeezed" a bit on the rim and the sidewalls has a bit of bulge. In that respect, I like the square stance of the OEM S02. If that makes a difference that you can feel? Some would say yes, others would say no.

You say you've driven an S with OE tires and they had some sidewall flex. Right after that did you drive and S with S03 tires? I doubt it. I know of two members on this board, Airgate and Silverstreak who have experience with both tires on an S2000 and both of those say the same thing, they liked the OEM S02 better.

I personally have not driven the S with S03's on it and because of these discussions I may never have to. I also thought Svann had good info on his post on this thread. He claims that he personally spoke with a Bridgestone rep...
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...ghlight=OEM+S02
Old 10-30-2001, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, thanks for your opinions. I have received a couple of PM's regarding this as well.

I really didn't mean to start WW III with this thread, I was just looking for advice from people who are in the know.

I think one of the problems in asking this question is that people are using the car for different purposes in different areas.

I, for one, don't have the luxury of being able to have a second car for wet weather driving (since it costs around US$400 per month just to park them!!), and yes, it does rain quite a lot in Tokyo, and when it rains, it can REALLY rain. This is the only car I have and I need to be able to use it safely in the rain.

Tyre noise is not an issue for me. Tyre wear is not an issue for me. Grip in the dry is not an issue. Sorry if I must drive like a granny or whatever, but on a public road I have never found the limits of the SO-2's and never want to thanks.

From what I have read, I think that I will be replacing the SO-2's in about 2-3k miles for S-3's.

Again thanks for your opinions, and thanks also for keeping it down after I asked you to.....

James
Old 10-30-2001, 03:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2k Dude
[B]
You say you've driven an S with OE tires and they had some sidewall flex.
Old 10-30-2001, 03:07 PM

Great choice James. You'll be very happy with them
Old 10-30-2001, 03:09 PM
Banned

Excerpt from the other post S2kdude was referring to...

"We had a chance to talk with Bridgestone tire reps about the S-02 and S-03 at the Drive and Learn event. The technology of the S-03 is intended to replace the S-02 PP as an all season performance tire. The compounds are harder to start with and designed to resist further hardening until the second layer of compound is further exposed. The S-03 does not have the dry grip of the OEM S-02 and far less contact patch. The sidewalls are somewhat softer so the car will ride smoother but turning response will not be as crisp as the S-02...

The OEM S-02 continues to be a better choice for dry handling performance for those with stock size wheels that demand ultimate grip. Wet handling is good until the tire wears then performance deteriorates rapidly, especially after 8000 miles..."
Old 10-30-2001, 03:38 PM

Excerpt from Bridgestone's web site.

Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position With UNI-T AQII
Pleases Those With A Passion For Performance

For driving connoisseurs with a passion for performance, there's a new tire setting new standards for handling, grip and service. The Bridgestone Potenza S-03 Pole Position, incorporating UNI-T AQII technology, is a W/Y-speed rated tire designed for the more demanding performance car drivers.

"When we introduced the Bridgestone Potenza S-02 six years ago, it drew immediate acclaim from performance car enthusiasts," said Shu Ishibashi, Executive Vice President of Bridgestone/Firestone Inc. and President of the U.S. Consumer Tire Group. "Drivers appreciated its traction and handling, giving their vehicles a sound footing and stable platform for improved rides. In the time since that introduction, we've continued to refine its performance with the addition of our newest technologies. The new S-03 Pole Position with UNI-T AQII is now the flagship of the Bridgestone Potenza family, providing an amazing combination of characteristics and qualities deemed impossible just a few years ago."

Survey results from Tirerack web site.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/max.jsp

S03 #1
S02 #5

Why would a manufacturer that is getting such favorable feedback from most customers be redesigning a great tire. Looks to me like the S02 bringing up 5th is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Just trying to be fair and balanced.
Old 10-30-2001, 07:50 PM
Banned

Yeah, and we are all lemmings who believe the newest sales pitch from the website... umm... NOT. We have tried both the tires and found the S03s to be lacking. Conversations between several people now and Bridgestone clearly indicate that the S02 is the BEST tire for the S2000. And based on the user poll here... it looks like some more real drivers showed up to vote... I get the grin... again....
Old 10-31-2001, 01:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I guess that the poll was pretty inconclusive then!

I would be interested in whether all 22 voters have actually driven with SO-3's, and also the ratio of wet weather drivers included in each side of the vote.
Old 10-31-2001, 04:31 AM

Received 5,236 Likes on 3,133 Posts

tokyo james -

It appeared to me from the beginning that you'd made up your mind to buy the tire that performed best in the wet. There seems to be little doubt about which that is. If your looking for others to say it's a wise choice, let me be the first to say go for it -- if that's your priorities.

My car is pretty much a fair weather car, since I have several. Handling is my top priority and when it rains I slow down and drive with more caution, where smoothness is the real key. This car was never about practicality, it's about soul -- that's why dry performance is the top priority for most.

Quick Reply: For people who have used SO-3's...