Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Poll - AVS ES 100 on Stock rims
Done it; love them, will do it again!
28.72%
Done it; hate them, will never do it again
18.09%
I'm considering them so this poll is timely
46.81%
I would not consider them because they are not the SO2's
6.38%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Poll - AVS ES 100 on Stock rims

Old 07-03-2003, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cyk:

Thanks. Am considering these tires for when (before long) my OEM S02's wear out. I wonder as I read your post if some of the handling change you experience with the Yokos couldn't be "dialed out via alignment. Don't know, but am just raising the question. Bet if you called Jim@Tirerack he could provide good advice. He has done so for me in the past. Also, let me inquire, are you experiencing less or more road noise?

Thanks,
Richard
Old 07-03-2003, 07:14 PM
cyk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dolebludger
[B]cyk:

Thanks. Am considering these tires for when (before long) my OEM S02's wear out.
Old 07-04-2003, 02:08 PM

Another point that was only touched upon in a post above is that, in changing to Yoko ES100, you should purchase 245/45/16 for the rears. As has been said before the 225/50/16s S02's that came on the car are WAY overwide for these specs, so that any other brand you buy in this size is significantly narrower. There's a long thread on this on this board.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 07-04-2003, 05:40 PM

Like the looks and the wet road traction and the better wear. But once in a while on hard cornering in the dry they break loose and get my attention, although easy to correct. I only have them on the rears. Looking forward to replacing the front OEMs if they'll ever wear out. 16K and still looking good on the fronts. %K on the rears.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

5k**
Old 07-05-2003, 04:43 PM

one of the theories with replacement tires wearing out the middle is summarized as such:

the larger sized tire needed to have a similar footprint requires that the tire to actually become pinched on the rim. (imagine taking a credit card and squeezing the ends, the bowing is the same effect). This pinching effectively increases the pressure the tires are running at in terms of surface contact. I used to run 38 psi for the s02s. I can get the same contact surface at 32 psi on the kuhmo 712s. If I run at higher psi, the middle starts to wear quicker. The rub is what is too high and what is too low. want to maximize treadlife and MPG, but don't want the tire to come off the rim.....
Old 07-05-2003, 06:22 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by genghiskwong
[B]one of the theories with replacement tires wearing out the middle is summarized as such:

the larger sized tire needed to have a similar footprint requires that the tire to actually become pinched on the rim.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:16 PM

All I know is the Yoko ES100 specs on Tirerack indicate that it fits the S2k's stock rear wheel width, when bought in the 245/45/16 size. But, like you, I surely don't think more wheel width would hurt!

Thanks,
Richard
Old 07-10-2003, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read many threads on the ES 100's and everything leads to purchasing them! I'm almost ready for a set for the rear. I will go with 245/45/16.
Old 07-11-2003, 01:01 AM

I've had a set for 7000 miles, although in 17" 225 and 255. I used them twice for autocross and the rear center tread wore poorly and I was sliding all over (tires became too hot with 34 psi cold). I have since lowered the pressure to 29 psi to help even out the wear. For regular on-road spirited driving, they are fabulous. Even with the rear tires to the wear bars - absolutely zero hydroplaning or slipping on wet roads. I have tried to break them loose in all conditions, and they will not go unless wet, turning, and vtec. I've ordered a new set for the rear and I will keep better track of pressure during autocross. The fronts have half their tread remaining and have worn slightly more on both edges than the center (34 psi cold all the time). These tires are a bargain and somewhat better than the Kuhmo 712's (I've owned on another car). As everyone knows, they are not the ultimate dry grip but they break away predictably and correction is easy. In 7000 miles, I have never heard a squeal or any tire noise, despite the odd wear pattern.

update 10-31-2003

I STILL have these tires on the car 3000 miles later and the lower rear psi has been a godsend. Two more autocrosses under my belt with better handling (hopefully my driving skills have improved as well). I am now beating some people with stock SO2's. My first autocrosses took about 2/32" off each tire center (ouch), but now about 1/64" across the tire. Since the car is now for sunny days only, I'm not too worried about the flat center of the tread, plus I have about 4/32 on the sides. The street driving wear rate is very good and should last drivers 20k with non-aggressive alignment. Also of note, I have no tire noise despite the crazy wear and several alignments (long story). My Kuhmo 712's on a Passat were LOUD forever after the first rotation.

Am I anal? Yes, I'm an engineer.

Quick Reply: Poll - AVS ES 100 on Stock rims