Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coating and AP2V1's = Failure!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So would doing this for day tripper riders still be ok as far as the powder coating or should only painting be considered if one wants a change in color. Maybe just a new set of rims. I have no plans to go out and track pound my car yet.

I've got a 2007 Luguna Blue and was considering powder coating as is cheaper then new rims, I really want black. So as in all things, back to the drawing board I guess. May try having them painted black to see what I think and if like splurge and get some new rims.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Powder coaters, like paint shops, vary greatly in expertise. Since the threshold for damage to wheel alloys is close to powder coating temps, I'd make sure your coater understands the need for a low curing temp powder.

Personally if you want a black wheel, I'd just paint it. Touch ups for the inevitable chips and future color changes (like back to original) are easy.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:52 PM

Doesn't painting work just as well if you take time to prep the surface, makes sure its actually flawless and apply several coats of clear coat right?

I don't see the benefit in PC besides that it can withstand higher temps.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:18 PM

Has anyone experience with painting? I understand the chipping and touch up which should really be pretty straight forward. If so how much did you pay as powdercoating may run from a couple hundred and up for sure.

It is a good point about stipping off the paint to go back to silver if want to which with powder coat would not happen.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:40 PM

A metallurgist or someone familiar with cast aluminum alloys would probably answer the question on why these wheels have weakened.

My guess
The heating of the wheel may have "over aged" the aluminum causing the precipitates that originally strengthened the metal to redissolve into the matrix.

Just my guess.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by chino101,Jul 31 2009, 07:40 PM
A metallurgist or someone familiar with cast aluminum alloys would probably answer the question on why these wheels have weakened.

My guess
The heating of the aluminum may have "over aged" the aluminum causing the participates that originally strengthened the aluminum to redissolve into the aluminum matrix.

Just my guess.
To add to that:

It is also likely that the powercoat is more brittle than the aluminum it is coating. Therefore, when there is excessive stress on the wheels (i.e. racing), it will crack the more brittle material which this stress is likely to propagate into the more ductile metal it coats.

In other words: When the coating cracks from high stress it is likely to transfer into the metal it coats as well due to the high stress concentration of the initial crack.

This happens more with chromed items since chrome is WAY more brittle, but you get the idea. I'm not exactly sure of the properties of powercoating material. I can't imagine that it is very brittle. But in the case that it is, here is your answer.

Just my guess.....This is some what related to the material in a class I am currently taking.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:03 AM

It would be interesting to get a sample of the metal used for the S2000 wheels and test the hardness of the metal before and after.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:33 AM

Holy shintos! Well atleast the didn't come apart while you were on the track. Sucks though. Hope you have a spare set of rims. GL to ya.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow very good to know that, i am going to get my work cr-kai powder coating to black soon, but now i think i am just going to get it paint instead of powdercoating...

thx..
Old 08-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Thx, good info, I'll pass it along to guys in my forum!

Quick Reply: Powder Coating and AP2V1's = Failure!