Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rims damaged by detail shop, can't figure out how

Old 05-13-2018, 04:48 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Rims damaged by detail shop, can't figure out how

Hey guys, I had my car detailed for the first time ever and the shop somehow damaged my rims. I'd like some help understanding what they may have done and what I need to do moving forward for protection. In their process they managed to strip the wheels wherever there was any nicks in them. I know that over time the rims had nicks in a bunch of places from rocks, but it was subtle and you could see there's some kind of coating on them, but whatever they did, wherever there was any slight nick anywhere in the rim was stripped all the way down. I've power washed the wheels for years and nothing I have every used has stripped them. Also (in the last pic) one of the rims looked to have some kind of dried soap on it, which I pointed out to him and watched him buff it out, but you can see it's still cloudy and haze and nothing I have at home will remove it.

I'm hoping you guys can help me understand the following:

1. What kind of process did they do to my rims to cause this?
2. Did they strip the clear coat off as well and now ruin my rims?
3. What should I do moving forward to protect them?
4. What's up with the cloudy or hazy rim?

thanks,

Last edited by Thomas Guide; 05-13-2018 at 04:51 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 05-13-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 1,321 Likes on 999 Posts

It looks like they used a cleaning product that etches bare aluminum. Not at all uncommon for many wheel cleaning products.

Try to find out what they cleaned the wheels with.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:53 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

They either used the wrong type of wheel cleaner, or one that was way too aggressive. I hate wheel cleaners, most cause damage.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Are they not admitting fault and willing to compensate you?
Old 05-27-2018, 08:36 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

All dealers, body shops and volume detail shops use acid wheel cleaners. Works amazing if quickly used, however, with some clears or if left for too long they’ll permanently stain. I’ve seen shops say they use a “safe” acid cleaner to me... after one expensive WORK wheel was stained like yours. Not so safe I replied, and had them order me a new wheel.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See if they are willing to compensate for worsening the wheel(s) condition and have it refinished at Wheels of America. That damage is fixable.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

The guy who started P21S had a problem just like this. His Porche rims were destroyed by acid cleaners. He made his own cleaner. A buddy of mine works closely with P21S and has a nice detailing business. He swears by the stuff. Although more than the usual Wal Mart bill of goods, it works well.

https://www.autogeek.net/p21s.html
Old 06-01-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the advice everyone along the way...They agreed to refund me the full detail amount and I'm working with a shop to have the rims refurbished. I've researched the shop and they do the whole wheel, acid strip, paint, machine it, clear coat it, and not just the surface area but the all of it (if that makes sense). They also road force balance the tires which is what I have now, $150 / tire, so I think it's probably worth it (I'm an OEM junkie).

However I still can't figure out what they did in those first two pics, is that clear coat stripped off with aluminum? Any one got idears?
Old 06-01-2018, 01:03 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,918 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
The guy who started P21S had a problem just like this. His Porche rims were destroyed by acid cleaners. He made his own cleaner. A buddy of mine works closely with P21S and has a nice detailing business. He swears by the stuff. Although more than the usual Wal Mart bill of goods, it works well.

https://www.autogeek.net/p21s.html
Just ordered some
Old 06-01-2018, 02:23 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Let me know what shop does the work and how they turn out. If I keep my other set of SSRs, I plan to have them stripped and repainted.

Quick Reply: Rims damaged by detail shop, can't figure out how