Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running worn rear tires in the Summer?

Old 08-21-2010, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be worried about debris and sand. There are lots of beaches on the PCH and you never know what is around the next corner.

I prefer to ware my tires out until the very end because I am a cheap bastard and want to get every penny out of my tires. However I live in AZ where all our roads I drive are straight and clean, plus we have very very little rain.

I think It is unsafe on a road where you should expect sand from the beach. What part will you be driving?
Old 08-21-2010, 08:14 PM

next week you'll post back up on here about hitting a patch of sand and spinning out into a tree/ditch/curb/bus and wrecking your car.

you'll want to post one of these up because you thought that just because it's dry out that you cant loose control.

go back and look at the "wrecked exotics" thread and look at all the wrecked cars. half of them were on bald tires in dry conditions.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 PM

worn tires do not equal racing slicks.

don't be cheap and put everyone else on the road in danger. get new tires.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:02 PM

get BFG Gforce sports...! works good, and cheap! order from tire rack
Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 PM

If you're too poor to afford these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...General&tab=All

...you shouldn't own an S2000.

In fact, there are a lot of cheap options that are miles better than baldies

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchRe...General&tab=All
Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 PM

You're going to have to replace them anyway, why wait?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:32 PM

From someone who has driven Hwy 1 from San Luis Obispo to Carmel and back many times (in varying weather conditions), buy new tires. A few reasons:

1) The road itself. Hours of gorgeous banked corners tempt you to push your car just a little more. It's near impossible to drive conservatively on.

2) Road conditions. Every time I drive it, there are new hazards: huge cliffs, construction zones, uneven pavement, potholes, unpaved sections, basketball-sized boulders, sand/gravel, water running across the road, fog, deer, tourists driving 20mph in huge motorhomes, etc etc. I've experienced everything on that list in this 2-hour stretch of PCH alone.

3) Cheap insurance against losing your car and/or your life. I don't know about you, but oversteering over a massive cliff and landing hundreds of feet below in the ocean 2 hours from the nearest hospital doesn't sound like fun. Spend the 200-some bucks on tires so you don't have to worry.

Tires are a safety item. Eat ramen noodles for a while if you're really that broke, but don't cheap out on something that could make the difference between life and death if you swerve to avoid an accident.

Also of note, worn R-comps =/= worn street tires. Street tire compound changes as they wear, and they're not meant to be corded like R-comps. It's not a valid comparison at all.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt15,Aug 21 2010, 09:57 PM
worn tires do not equal racing slicks.

don't be cheap and put everyone else on the road in danger. get new tires.

This should been a no brainer. Get them replaced.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:44 PM

Received 203 Likes on 140 Posts

Taking a road trip on bald tires is never a good idea. Never mind possible rain. Or sand. Plus, the core compound of the tire is not designed for traction, and if you're out of tread, that's what you're on.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:28 PM

Yikes, my internet sucks so my reply didn't get posted.

A lot of misunderstandings here, I thought I would have to pay extra to make sure the tires shipped in time to get replaced before the weekend so I was asking what the risks were when driving bald tires on dry surfaces.

Turns out TireRack ships VERY fast so I decided to pick up a pair of new tires: I went with the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec after reading several different reviews. Supposedly they grip a little better than the Bridgestone equivalents but they have a soft sidewall so we'll see.

Here's hoping they are as good if not better than the BFG K/A TDW's I currently have on.

Quick Reply: Running worn rear tires in the Summer?