Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Star Specs "The Tire" or affordable substitute.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZOMG.S2K
No one has justified these for a daily driver yet, except one post mentioning an evasive maneuver which is quite a stretch.

Save a couple bucks and go with a cheaper and higher tread wear rated tire if your just DDing your car.
what about the fact that the car comes with extreme performance tires from the factory? why anyone would suggest to step down a grade is beyond me
Old 02-28-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by s2kmiami69
Originally Posted by ZOMG.S2K' timestamp='1330478099' post='21460729
No one has justified these for a daily driver yet, except one post mentioning an evasive maneuver which is quite a stretch.

Save a couple bucks and go with a cheaper and higher tread wear rated tire if your just DDing your car.
what about the fact that the car comes with extreme performance tires from the factory? why anyone would suggest to step down a grade is beyond me
I bought an S2000 for it's handling, agility and responsiveness. I don't care if it is mainly just a daily driver. The Dunlop SS is my choice. I understand it is a bit over the top, but so is virtually any car that we all love. Do we all need 550 + HP sedans like the CTS-V, and 280 HP Accords and Camry's? It's all over the top and way more than necessary.

By some logic in here, why would Honda, or any manufacturer for that matter equip their sports car / sports sedan with extreme summer tires?

Not many people who buy a Vette, 911, or BMW M3 for example track their cars.

I don't feel that these companies should just equip these cars with less aggressive tires because most people won't track the cars.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Star Specs are a pretty good value considering price and performance, plus they look good. If you bring up the DD overkill argument, why drive an S, get a Yaris.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

The S deserves a top notch tire. It demands one that is stiff to maintain its proper handing character and with high traction, the chassis handles it. Skimping out on anything less then what they came with from the factory could be considered dangerous? If a tire is wanted that has a higher wear rating then factory, then at least go with a tire that is stiff/handles good. The S shows its distaste for cheap tires, sometimes very dramatically. In years past I've tried out a few more budget tires and took them right back once I drove on them.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 PM

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who is going to refute how amazing the star specs are. I mean, given the fan base, testimonials, and reviews, there's no doubt it's a solid tire for the price. But more important than the hardware, is your ability to utilize, or even control it.

But consider all the other things that you have to work with: Your budget, how long you need these tires to last, and your experience with RWD.

Regarding your experience with RWD, consider this: If you don't know how the many facets of how oversteer works, and how to control it, potentially you could be putting yourself at risk no matter what tire you're running. But the problem might even be slightly magnified as the ever-so-grippy star specs put you at a higher speed before breaking loose due to some driver input error.

I mean, instead of worrying about what's the best super-grippiest tire, think of it in a different light. What works best for your life, and will optimize your driving needs with the S for the lifespan of the tire during the time you'll be using them. After all, if this whole "give your S the BEST" gung-ho crap was true, then I'd expect a lot more people to be running slicks.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by ms32s2k
Originally Posted by s2kmiami69' timestamp='1330479713' post='21460822
[quote name='ZOMG.S2K' timestamp='1330478099' post='21460729']

I bought an S2000 for it's handling, agility and responsiveness. I don't care if it is mainly just a daily driver. The Dunlop SS is my choice. I understand it is a bit over the top, but so is virtually any car that we all love. Do we all need 550 + HP sedans like the CTS-V, and 280 HP Accords and Camry's? It's all over the top and way more than necessary.

By some logic in here, why would Honda, or any manufacturer for that matter equip their sports car / sports sedan with extreme summer tires?

I don't feel that these companies should just equip these cars with less aggressive tires because most people won't track the cars.
[/quote]

According to tire rack the Potenza S-02's are max performance, not extreme performance.

The OP is talking about a daily driver, yet people seem to be ignoring that.

Originally Posted by mister x
Star Specs are a pretty good value considering price and performance, plus they look good. If you bring up the DD overkill argument, why drive an S, get a Yaris.
The S isn't a super car Many people DD their S.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I like the confidence the SS provides, even during daily driving - which most of us will do spiritedly at somepoint. The feedback is great - it really changes the car quite dramatically, even when not at the limit - however its important to remember that the limit is raised and thus so is risk. The tire choice definately is important on this car. While a cheaper tire may be fine as well, It wont provide the same experience. Plus, its nice to have the SS if you want to do a track day, auto-x.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by ZOMG.S2K
Originally Posted by ms32s2k' timestamp='1330481564' post='21460914
[quote name='s2kmiami69' timestamp='1330479713' post='21460822']
[quote name='ZOMG.S2K' timestamp='1330478099' post='21460729']

[/quote]

According to tire rack the Potenza S-02's are max performance, not extreme performance.

[/quote]
well i believe ap2s came with bridgestone re-11s which are in the extreme performance category
Old 02-29-2012, 04:12 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

re050s? cr got re11?
Old 02-29-2012, 04:22 AM

I like the different points of view presented thus far, I will say however that because a car is referred to as a DD does not mean that it isn't driven extremley hard. For instance, I am stationed in germany currently, my S is my daily, however, it regularly see's 150+ mph on the autobahn, some very aggresive mountain backroads, and the occaisional trip to the ring. I think the term DD shouldn't be looked at as a badge of a babied car, rather a car that is expected to perform reliably on a daily basis, with as much comfort as can be expected with modifications (doesn't mean that maximum performance is something that the driver WANTS to sacrifice). My question was, more or less, is the star spec the best performing street tire on the market for our autos or is it a tire with some very good performance with a price that most can stomach. I will agree that the fan base is staggering, but then i see other tire recommendations from other board members with vast experience.

Quick Reply: Star Specs "The Tire" or affordable substitute.