Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trofeo R vs RE-71r

Old 07-12-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If only I had the money to take two sets of wheels with same size trofeo and re-71r to the track to get you guys some empirical data (not sure I'm a consistent enough driver to pull this off anyway)...maybe we can get the guys that did the re-71r vs nt01 to become the new defacto grassroots motorsports tire lap time journalist and convince them to test the trofeo R...they are both a good price. I would imagine the trofeo and re-71r is more of a drive to the event on them tire, the hoosiers you'd be more inclined to change out at the track at the beginning/end of the day.

I wonder how they assess what a point is...ie. is it a perceived/subjective advantage or an actual certain amount of an advantage over a one minute or two minute course on a particular baseline car? It can purely be based on the treadwear rating, can it?
Old 07-13-2016, 08:55 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by King Tut
Originally Posted by michaelnyden' timestamp='1468269942' post='24014099
No class, just HPDE, time attack against myself basically...just wondering how much quicker the trofeo's might be over re-71r's since it's time to purchase a new set of track tires...
Just buy Hoosier A7s. The difference in price will pay off in seconds on track. Anytime you want to know how tires stack up, refer to what Greg at NASA thinks in the 2016 NASA Time Trial Rules:

1) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: BFG R1S, Goodyear Eagle RS AC (auto-
cross), Hoosier A7, Hankook Z214 (C90 & C91 compounds only), Hoosier Wet DOT (if
used in dry conditions—see section 5.6) +22
2) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: Hoosier A6 +17
3) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires and those with a UTQG treadwear rating of
40 or less not listed otherwise in these rules: BFG R1, Goodyear Eagle RS, Hankook Z214
(C71, C70, C51, C50), Hoosier R7, Kumho V710 +10
4) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: Hoosier SM7 +9
5) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: Hoosier R6, Hoosier SM6 (note:
Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge EC-Dry tires (225, 245, 275) OK) +8
6) The following DOT-approved R-compound tires: Toyo Proxes RR, Hankook TD,
Pirelli Trofeo R +7
7) The following DOT-approved tires and those R-compound tires with a UTQG treadwear
rating over 40: BFG Rival S, Bridgestone RE071-R, Maxxis RC-1 (examples: Kumho V700,
Kumho V720, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup & MPS Cup 2, Nitto NT01, Pirelli PZero Corsa,
Toyo R888, Toyo RA-1, Yokahama A048, etc.) +6
8) DOT-approved (non-R-compound) tires with a UTQG treadwear rating of 120-200
(examples: BFG g-Force Rival, Toyo R1R, Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec,
Bridgestone Potenza RE070, Kumho Ecsta XS, Yokohama Advan A046 & Neova AD08,
Hankook R-S3) +2
An interesting list, however it is a time trial list. The A7 is +22, the R7 is +10. In a 20 minute track day session, with the A7 really remain faster or would it overheat?

The Trofeo R at +7, the Pilot Cup, Pilot Cup 2, Rival S, and RE71r all at +6 seem to support the hypothesis is that there is very little to chose between them on a track day basis. Longevity and consistency over the entire session would seem to be key.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 566 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Im surprised they rated the Maxxis RC1 slicks the same points as the RE71/Rival S! I know they are 100TWR but dang!
I'm not. Hartanto compared the RC1 and NT-01 Here.

http://www.prima-racing.com/update-m...vs-nitto-nt01/

He then compared the NT-01 and RE-71R

http://www.prima-racing.com/bridgest...king-part-two/

S2kc guys confirmed the same using telemetry data with peak g-forces, sustained g-forces, and laptimes.

Auto-x seems to confirm that you need to be on RE-71Rs or Rival-S to win - RS3s aren't even in the running anymore.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:40 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

I just replaced the craptastic Michelin PSS (POS?) street tires on my 500+ hp FD with RE71R. Ran them at Talledega Gran Prix Raceway (aka "little Talledega"). Lateral grip was great, drive grip good/OK but not as good as NT01. At the end of the day the outside rear was worn beyond the treadwear indicators Inside rear was at 3/32. Less than 1000 street miles and one track day, rear tires done I was hooning it up a bit, but still!

I ran NT01s a couple of years ago as street during track season, I found they were pretty good compromise street/track tires. I would bet they are a bit quicker than RE71R at the track on higher power/weight cars. They were fine for two events (four track days), after that rear grip began to deteriorate. At the fourth event, 7th/8th track days on them, no rear grip, a real handful!

Short version: RE71R might be equivalent to NT01 for modest power/weight cars for lap times, but I would bet the NT01s are quicker for higher power/weight. RE71R in my case had less than half the useful lifetime of NT01s. Might be something to consider...

I'm about to replace my rear RE71Rs with NT01s, keeping RE71Rs up front, gonna run the car at Mosport like that. Could be interesting...
Old 07-14-2016, 05:36 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
I just replaced the craptastic Michelin PSS (POS?) street tires on my 500+ hp FD with RE71R. Ran them at Talledega Gran Prix Raceway (aka "little Talledega"). Lateral grip was great, drive grip good/OK but not as good as NT01. At the end of the day the outside rear was worn beyond the treadwear indicators Inside rear was at 3/32. Less than 1000 street miles and one track day, rear tires done I was hooning it up a bit, but still!

I ran NT01s a couple of years ago as street during track season, I found they were pretty good compromise street/track tires. I would bet they are a bit quicker than RE71R at the track on higher power/weight cars. They were fine for two events (four track days), after that rear grip began to deteriorate. At the fourth event, 7th/8th track days on them, no rear grip, a real handful!

Short version: RE71R might be equivalent to NT01 for modest power/weight cars for lap times, but I would bet the NT01s are quicker for higher power/weight. RE71R in my case had less than half the useful lifetime of NT01s. Might be something to consider...

I'm about to replace my rear RE71Rs with NT01s, keeping RE71Rs up front, gonna run the car at Mosport like that. Could be interesting...
The Michelin Pilot Super Sports, now a 5 year old design, are generally considered to be the best street high performance tire. They are not a track tire although some undoubtedly drive on the track.

The RE71r is generally only available in smaller sizes, the largest being a 285/30-18 and a 295/35-19. The NT01 on the other hand has mostly large size, going to at least 315 and up to 335 widths in 17, 18, 19, and 20 inch diameters. They are probably designed around different weight and HP cars.

What sizes are you planning to use?

Old 07-14-2016, 05:39 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Im sure your alignment was way off and your pressure was too high on the re-71. They last much longer than 1000 miles and a 29 cold is a good place to start for grip.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That kind of the same experience that I got from the RE71R. Coming from RS-3 grip was about the same or slightly better but the Potenzas are better on street. However just after two track events and less than 800 miles my Potenzas are below the wear mark.

I'm also in the debate of the trofeo tires. I would like something better than RE71R or RS-3 but not a Hoosier slicks either. The halnkooks TD and the NT01 are on my list
Old 07-14-2016, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you test the NT-01 at TGP also? that track surface is killer on tires, very grainy.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I am going to try trofeo R...unfortunately I don't have re-71r lap times to compare it against, only good data I have is on ra-1, rs3, xs, etc.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
I think I am going to try trofeo R...unfortunately I don't have re-71r lap times to compare it against, only good data I have is on ra-1, rs3, xs, etc.
Do it...definitely in for a review!

Quick Reply: Trofeo R vs RE-71r