Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weights, OEM baseline 2007 ties/wheels

Old 01-25-2010, 10:07 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Weights, OEM baseline 2007 ties/wheels

Well, time to think about replacing the OEM's on my 2007 and my preference is winter tires on the OEM wheels and something light in a wheel/tire combo for "summer".

I've been using the search function, found a couple of references to "But I do have the 17" weights at 17.6 lbs front and 20.5 lbs rear" which is a good start but for OEM tires, nothing newer than 2002. Is this info readily available? Before I spend $$ on wheels/tires, it would be great to know the new unsprung gain (er, loss).

TIA...
Old 01-27-2010, 06:45 AM

OK, maybe the info is NOT readily available, or the topic is simply not interesting.

Tire Rack got back to me on wheels called TR F3 (sounds like that Triumph I always get parked next to at British Car shows), weights look good but $$$. For tires, maybe I can self-actualize on this one, if lucky the OEM's are on Tire Rack's site and I can find out that way. Sadly, two years into owenrship I do not recall what the OEM's are but that's what sidewalls are for.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 AM

OK, I know more. Contacting Tire Rack yet again, asking about OEM Vs "Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec " which seems like an interesting choice, they patiently responded:

"RE050 215/45-17 weigh 22 pounds each. The rear, 245/40-17 weigh in at 26 pounds.

The Dunlops are 23 pounds on front and 26 on the rear."

So, added to the wheel info below from Tire Rack and this website, it looks like net change would be 1 LB (38 vs 39) lighter per front corner and 4.1 LB (42.6 vs 46.5) loss per rear corner... check my math

I wonder if this much loss, particularly so little in the front, is noticable on a 2800+ LB (heavier than I'm used to) car and worth, what, two and a half grand.

I am am somewhat inclined to order them regardless.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:19 AM

I read on another topic that the TR F3 requires no additional purchase on an S2000 -- center caps, lugs, mounting rings. If true, great. Is there a particular valve stem recommended? Or just whatever Tire Rack's "generic" choice might be?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No you will not notice that weight difference. The benefit of the increased grip from the star specs is probably greater than 100 to 1 to the weight increase from the tire. The Generic valve stem they ship should be fine, but with the obsession with weight there are aluminum valve stems on the market that are lighter than the polished steel ones you'll most likely get from tire rack.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by rioyellows2k,Jan 31 2010, 09:09 AM
with the obsession with weight there are aluminum valve stems on the market
...I guess I had that coming. really I presume I should not have to "watch grams" on this. Whatever Tire Rack includes should work fine in terms of valve stems.

Cannot believe I'm dropping thi$ much, especially as I'm about to embark on a kitchen remodel. But, in almost 36 years of driving, having a car for 2 years unmodified is a record for me... must remedy that.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:38 AM

Last night my wife asked "well, have you ordered them yet?" so I guess that was the hint that I had been lingering too long over the decision. So, this AM, I went on the Tire Rack website to place an order; partway through I received the warning "Important Notes: Rear: Wheels with a 45mm offset will be very aggressive on the rear. The bulge of the tire will stick out past the fender edge! Fender modification may be required!". EEK! Car is at ride height, but not thrilled about modifying the bodywork (I do not own a baseball bat or whatever is used these days), not sure how serious this is or if there is a load-on-the-wheel-bearings issue. And I thought this was a specific-to-S2000 wheel -- this came as a surprise.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 AM

Got yet more great feedback from Tire Rack "I am showing the TRM F3 has a 55mm offset. Those will be fine. It will be 10mm further into the wheel well than what that note is alerting you to".

So, Wheels and tires are ordered. Looking forward to this. There's a slow leak on the LF of the OEM's, I have been topping it off with the bicycle pump every morning, that should be over with shortly; I could have had the tire plugged or whatever is wrong with it, now I'll retire the OEM wheels to snow-tire duty (more $$$).

Hunter at Tire rack has been very patient with the questions on this one transaction; if the results are as I expect, I'll be happy indeed with the purchase.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you know, i always think its funny how people are concerned about 1lb. go on a DIET. i myself could stand to lose some weight....that would make the car decidedly faster carrying 40 less lbs in the drivers seat
Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by street_ruler,Feb 2 2010, 08:25 AM
you know, i always think its funny how people are concerned about 1lb. go on a DIET.
I agree, although I do not consider myself overweight. However, and you know this as well as I, unsprung weight is very different indeed.

By the way, this would be almost whimsical except for the trouble it might have caused: on the Tire Rack website, after selecting the cars as an S2000, and choosing the wheels, I proceeded to shop for tires, and added the Dunlops to the "cart". What I did not notice, and should have, was that somehow it selected 255/40-17 FRONT tires! My contact @ Tire Rack, Hunter, caught it immediately and fixed it (I went in later and tried shopping for tires w/out picking wheels first, and it went straight to the correct size). A simple "glitch" but it's great that someone was watching my order, or I'd have had a massive return-to-supplier on my hands. Great customer service!

Quick Reply: Weights, OEM baseline 2007 ties/wheels