Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get Toyo RA-1's Cheap?

Old 05-31-2002, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where to get Toyo RA-1's Cheap?

I need to buy a set of RA1's and since our buds at Tire Rack don't sell'um I've had to look local. Holy shmolly, they aren't cheap! Discount/America's $180/front $200/rear installed!!!! I found a cheaper place but they are still $170/front $180/rear, $790 installed, no better...

Where can I get them cheaper?? That's a lot of green backs for tires, $30/corner more than S02s.
Old 06-02-2002, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Erik,

did you ever find RA-1s for a reasonable price? I paid way to much for mine at Les Schwab six weeks or so ago, 'cause no one else in the country had the sizes I needed (235/45R17 & 255/40R17) to fit the 17" CE28Ns.

Are you looking for sizes to fit the stock 16" wheels? Try www.treadepot.com, they may have them a little lower than you listed, like $159/$169. Let us know what you find.

Ted
Old 06-03-2002, 02:50 AM

That's about the right. That's within the ballpark. I purchased my Toyo's from Treadepot.com, after delivery, mounting and balancing. It ended up 'bout 750. Then after 4 track days, I found my tires left tires wore faster than my right tires, from running tracks that wore heavily on the left side. So add another $100 to switch the tires left to right. Since the Toyos are directional. Almost $900.

That's why I'm going to the Michelins, because they cost about the same, give or take a hundred bucks. The Michelins are not directional. No need to remount.

Couple of things on the Toyos. You need to have them SHAVED. If not, BE CAREFUL! Racetire.com, only sells them shaved. Another reason for going Michelins. They are also whiny, however not as bad as the A032Rs. However, they are consistent and are quite similar in characteristics as the OE S02s with much high limits. Actually its a perfect natural progression from the OEs. They slide predictably. They wear about the same, the Toyos are a bit faster wearing.

Compared to the S02s they are dollar for dollar a much better buy, if your use the FUN quotient.

There's no question the Toyo are durable. The Michelins are questionable. However, I don't know, whether a shaved Toyo will last any longer than an unshaved Michelin. Gregg, Vrm Vrm, g-s2k and Mikey all use Michelins. Maybe they can tell us how long these tires lasts.

Gotta pay to play. The better the tires the safer you can go faster or the faster you can go safer. Either way works.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$750/set mounted and balanced is about the best I can do. I can get them cheaper (a bit) online but then there is shipping so it works out to be a bit more. I'm getting them at Discount Tire. They get them from America's Tire which is the same company. It takes a week to get them in in the sizes I want for stock rims. They've done all my tire stuff so I'd like to give them a bit of business.
Old 06-04-2002, 10:21 AM

That's why I'm going to the Michelins, because they cost about the same, give or take a hundred bucks. The Michelins are not directional. No need to remount.
Just an FYI to pass along. I'm running Kumhos. Both the Victoracer and Ecsta V700's have a directional arrow and directional-looking treads. However, they really aren't, as validated by the Rack and from Kumho. The recommended rotational direction is superior for wet weather traction, but makes no difference in the dry.

I'll swap mine from side to side for each DE, if not for each day at a DE.

Just something to consider as y'all sort out your R comp choices.
Old 06-05-2002, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Khumo Victoracer 245's are on world-wide back order for another two-three weeks. Not really an option for the crowd going to Thunderhill.