Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do most people hate knock-off wheels?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all relative, I wouldnt knock anyone for spending 3K on rims, I've done it in the past. Its just how 1 person chooses to spend his money over another. In situations where you can get almost the exact same thing for a 1/4 of the money its pretty baffling though. I would much rather get the Meister knock offs and donate 2K to poor people and just lie about them being real
The following users liked this post:
YrboyKen (02-03-2022)
Old 12-21-2010, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -Jordan-,Dec 21 2010, 03:10 PM
It all made sense to me, you must need the ability of "intelligent thought" to grasp the concept.

Walmart shoes are to Nike's, what an S2000 is to a high end Porsche. At the end of the day, there is always a higher calling given any category or segment of any vehicle/article of clothing. An S2000 is a cheap, entry level roadster, Honda copied European roadster design, they didnt invent the 2 door convertable, so its kind of ironic that people driving the cheap japanese roadster are calling knock off wheel "fake"... fake really suits the car
It's your opinion that the S2000 is an exact replica of a European roadster, which Euro roadster is it a copy of? I've never heard anyone ever make that claim before. And I've heard some people who are ignorant on the subject claim that roadsters were invented by the Europeans, but it's such a broad term encompassing many definitions. I won't make any personal attack about your potential for "intelligent thought", but if you're claiming your personal opinion as a proven fact, you might need to think a little deeper about it...if that's possible for you.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Not Sure,Dec 21 2010, 02:29 PM
^^^lol speaking of bad analogies....

You are misunderstanding what a cheap knock-off is as defined in this thread. If Honda did absolutely no R&D and just made a car that looked exactly like a Carrera but minus the performance, and called it Currera...then it would be a cheap knock-off.

But Honda did do their own R&D, and the car you call a Carrera knock-off actually has its roots in F1 racing as we all know...so, bad analogy. No one buys an S2k thinking "Everyone will think it's a Porsche".
A lot of people do think its a porsche for some reason though lol

But I agree with you 100 percent
Old 12-21-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by -Jordan-,Dec 21 2010, 04:22 PM
I guarantee with minimal effort one could find old wheel designs that pre-date Volk or Work. They're generic designs in most situations and people get way to worked up about a 5 or 6 spoke rim. There isnt a whole lot of "art" involved in a rim, its simple styling, market feedback, and supply and demand.

The only thing these knock off companies "stole" from these brands was the understanding of what people want. Work and Volk have created and discontinued a lot of wheels in the past and the market has determined what wheels will be bought up. If anyone is to blame its the consumer, we create the market for a knock off
I think u missed my point I have no problem with copycats... in fact that sort of thing drives design forward....

What I have a problem with is copycats that don’t push the design further... yes I’m sure the look of a volk work (insert any brand name) wheel is similar to another but what isn’t the same is the weigh/strength/fitment etc. If you are copying something and making it worse than that to me is stupid and hurts the original design.
In recent years even Volk has “copied” they TE37 making a race version that was lighter and in certain aspects stronger than the original.

I guess what it really comes down to is what is said in here… most people only care about how something looks not how it functions… personally I have Owned meisters, Volk RE30, Advans, currently have 949 racing wheels (which were DESIGNED in the US and are very light, cheap, and look decent IMHO) out of the wheels my favorite were the RE30 which I was able to compare with the rota knockoff… and they look nothing alike just holding the RE30 you can tell why the cost is higher.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by -Jordan-,Dec 21 2010, 09:23 AM
Material is material. I work for a Canadian manufacturer and I've compared the parts built in our plant side by side with parts built in our Chinese suppliers plant. If they follow the same manufacturing proceedure, their parts are identical. Cost is not.

Point being, when you buy a work or volk rim, you're paying for a wage so someone can live in Japan where the cost of living is incredibly high. You buy a rim from Taiwan or China you're paying for some guy to live in a small bunk off the side of a large factory. Many chinese manufacturers house their employees right at the shop and pay them dick all. THIS is why a knock off is 1/3rd the cost yet perceivably the same product. There is nothing wrong with "knock offs." Its all about branding and people wanting to be baller.

People hate knock offs because it cheapens their wheels, if you spend 3K on Volks you wouldnt want people thinking the guy next to you with sportmax rims paid the same as you, but that is the reality. Now that someone is making cheap replica meisters, meisters dont hold the same appeal as most people will now assume you have the knock offs because they're cheaper and a lot of people will start having them. Its like fake clothing, when you wear the real thing you almost have to go out of your way to tell people you're wearing/holding the real thing. This is why women constantly blab about how expensive their bag was when they're in public.
^Bingo!!

Same concept goes with tires, just go look at some tires and compare for example Japanese vs Brazilian, same weight/speed rating/load factor/ traction/ wear yet one is much more then the other just because where it's made .
Old 12-21-2010, 03:33 PM

Well this has been a fun read. Lots of knowledge in here, but also a lot of assumptions as well.

I don't post a lot on this forum, but I do from time to time when I feel that I have some of value to contribute. What do I have to contribute here? I am the Marketing Manager for Extreme Dimensions (a replica body kit company if you didn't already know). Although I know this is the wheel section, I feel that a voice from the replica market might be interesting to fuel some discussion here.

There are many things that I want to touch on from this thread, but I will limit my response to some of the highlights in lieu of writing a novel's worth of a response. I understand that attention spans only last so long.

Ok, first of all there was mention of how much work is actually done in the mother land (Japan) from those super exclusive JDM companies. As an assumption there is actually a LOT of truth here. Nothing that I can prove, or even really discuss in much detail online, but this assumption isn't far off. Some of you hardcore JDM addicts would be stunned at the things I have seen...seriously.

Another point that I want to touch on that gets overlooked frequently is the claim that all replica companies aren't contributing to the community, but rather taking away from it. Many feel that replica companies just sit back and think about which part they want to copy, some stuff happens, and then profit with little to no work. This is not the case at all. I can't speak for every replica company (and I wont attempt to do so), but I can speak for the company I work for. Take, for example, the material that we use. Our Duraflex material (and yes, we were the first on the marketing with this type of flexible fiberglass material) took many trials to do just right. We went through a lot of R&D to come up with this material. It has proven to be hugely popular, and many other companies have since copied our idea. Are we hurting about it? No. We have a strong customer base, and sales couldn't be better.

Another example (and this isn't just for our company, but many other "replica body kit companies) is our own line of products. We make hundreds of our own products. Whether they be fenders, hoods, wings, or complete body kits. Our company is even licensed with Mattel Hot Wheels to do Hot Wheels branded body kits. You think we stole the designs for those kits? Absolutely not. In fact those designs come directly from Mattel, and our graphic team as a collaboration. Same with our Christian Rado (Rado Series) products, and our Neil Tjin (Tjin Edition) products. So while we are "replicating" other kits we are also investing time, and money into our own R&D. In fact you will even find at least one thread on S2ki where our online representative is asking members what they would like us to make. Give us a unique idea, and we will run with it if we feel that it can be profitable. You guys asked us to make a single outlet AP2 rear bumper, and we did.

People that buy authentic parts are going to buy authentic parts regardless if there is a replica product on the market. They do it for many reasons, but we have found its mainly because it's a status thing. People want bragging rights, and that's fine. Our market is completely different. We are targeting people that have the desire to modify their cars, but might not have the paycheck to support buying parts that would take a year to save up for. I laughed at the comment about "just save a bit more for the authentic". Why don't Porsche Turbo owners save for the GT2? Just save for a little bit longer to get a slightly better product, right? Different needs for different people. Heck, there are well known members on this board running a mix of authentic parts and replica because they couldn't think about tracking their cars, and possibly destroying a $1500 bumper.

I agree with the people here that say something along the lines of "it pisses me off when someone copies something and tries to play it off as the original". Sure, yes, you have a legit concern there that I absolutely agree with. But not all replica companies do this. So please don't lump replica companies into the same category. Remember, even beloved ASM have taken designs from Porsche (look at the Carrera GT front bumper, and the GT3 rear bumper...now look at the ASM bumpers. See something similar?). It's ok, because they turned it into something that we all love. It's a wonderful design, but completely original? No. Where was their time in research coming up with that design? Probably someone behind a computer researching high performance super cars that provide function with a design that could be incorporated on the S2000. Kudos really need to be made to the person that designed the Porsche's, but do any of us give props to them? No. An argument could be made that maybe the person that came up with that design for the Porsche took cues from another car. Who knows? Who cares? It works. It looks, and functions very well which was the goal of the project. Yes, I know that ASM also puts a lot of R&D into their work as well, and I am not trying to pull away from that. I have seen the pictures, I have read the blogs. I have big respect for ASM (and similar companies). My point is that even highly respected companies like ASM sometimes pull inspiration from other things.

Everyone is going to copy something. There are very few completely original ideas out there anymore (across any industry). Don't read too much into that. I understand that a Ferrari 430 is an original design compared to the Ferrari 360, for example. But one could argue that they are 'similar', no? Minor tweaks, and changes here and there to make something that worked very well into something new - I get that idea. But was the 430 a completely unique idea? I would argue no. Want another example? Look at a polo shirt hanging in your closet. You think whatever brand label is on that shirt was the first company to ever create a polo shirt (read - I am not talking about the design on the shirt, but rather the concept of a polo shirt)? OMG! You're supporting a replica company! Breathe. It's ok. It's bound to happen.

Anyway, I have rambled on for far too long. I am sure I am going to be stirring up some love or hate with this response. Fair enough. This is the internet. I'm allowed to voice an opinion, no? Happy interneting
Old 12-21-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by ap1 George,Dec 21 2010, 02:45 PM
People do it for the status, I don't mind owning originals and knock offs as long you rock them properly. Give me a set of rotas I'll even leave the centercaps on big deal. As for R&D arguement, exterior body parts also use R&D because they are functional for downforce purposes and yet there are people who rock original wheels with replica front ends etc etc. R&D?

As for the purpose of status some people won't buy rota D2 but they would buy either work meister or ssr professor which look like these JDM brands copied each other anyways. Won't buy Konig Renegades but will get Advan RG1 which also look like ssr type c. It's ok for Japanese to copy each others design cause it's still JDM but when Philippines and Taiwan do it it's not ok? hahahha
Exactly, as long as the wheels are used properly, but wouldn't that include using the wheels sometimes at their limits?
There is a difference if you are using te37 reps for looks or for performance, is the extra 2000$ worth it to have the peace of mind while going through a high speed corner in a canyon with a 400 feet drop? For some people it would be worth the extra money, but just like you said in other situations such as for daily driving and looking "good" the extra confidence in the integrity isn't as crucial.

Haha completely agree with the 2nd paragraph, it just seems like the concept of "Chinese" and "Bad quality" that most of the world had for the longest time is now being applied to the wheels.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by NoBottleJustThrottle,Dec 21 2010, 04:33 PM
Well this has been a fun read. Lots of knowledge in here, but also a lot of assumptions as well.

I don't post a lot on this forum, but I do from time to time when I feel that I have some of value to contribute. What do I have to contribute here? I am the Marketing Manager for Extreme Dimensions (a replica body kit company if you didn't already know). Although I know this is the wheel section, I feel that a voice from the replica market might be interesting to fuel some discussion here.

There are many things that I want to touch on from this thread, but I will limit my response to some of the highlights in lieu of writing a novel's worth of a response. I understand that attention spans only last so long.

Ok, first of all there was mention of how much work is actually done in the mother land (Japan) from those super exclusive JDM companies. As an assumption there is actually a LOT of truth here. Nothing that I can prove, or even really discuss in much detail online, but this assumption isn't far off. Some of you hardcore JDM addicts would be stunned at the things I have seen...seriously.

Another point that I want to touch on that gets overlooked frequently is the claim that all replica companies aren't contributing to the community, but rather taking away from it. Many feel that replica companies just sit back and think about which part they want to copy, some stuff happens, and then profit with little to no work. This is not the case at all. I can't speak for every replica company (and I wont attempt to do so), but I can speak for the company I work for. Take, for example, the material that we use. Our Duraflex material (and yes, we were the first on the marketing with this type of flexible fiberglass material) took many trials to do just right. We went through a lot of R&D to come up with this material. It has proven to be hugely popular, and many other companies have since copied our idea. Are we hurting about it? No. We have a strong customer base, and sales couldn't be better.

Another example (and this isn't just for our company, but many other "replica body kit companies) is our own line of products. We make hundreds of our own products. Whether they be fenders, hoods, wings, or complete body kits. Our company is even licensed with Mattel Hot Wheels to do Hot Wheels branded body kits. You think we stole the designs for those kits? Absolutely not. In fact those designs come directly from Mattel, and our graphic team as a collaboration. Same with our Christian Rado (Rado Series) products, and our Neil Tjin (Tjin Edition) products. So while we are "replicating" other kits we are also investing time, and money into our own R&D. In fact you will even find at least one thread on S2ki where our online representative is asking members what they would like us to make. Give us a unique idea, and we will run with it if we feel that it can be profitable. You guys asked us to make a single outlet AP2 rear bumper, and we did.

People that buy authentic parts are going to buy authentic parts regardless if there is a replica product on the market. They do it for many reasons, but we have found its mainly because it's a status thing. People want bragging rights, and that's fine. Our market is completely different. We are targeting people that have the desire to modify their cars, but might not have the paycheck to support buying parts that would take a year to save up for. I laughed at the comment about "just save a bit more for the authentic". Why don't Porsche Turbo owners save for the GT2? Just save for a little bit longer to get a slightly better product, right? Different needs for different people. Heck, there are well known members on this board running a mix of authentic parts and replica because they couldn't think about tracking their cars, and possibly destroying a $1500 bumper.

I agree with the people here that say something along the lines of "it pisses me off when someone copies something and tries to play it off as the original". Sure, yes, you have a legit concern there that I absolutely agree with. But not all replica companies do this. So please don't lump replica companies into the same category. Remember, even beloved ASM have taken designs from Porsche (look at the Carrera GT front bumper, and the GT3 rear bumper...now look at the ASM bumpers. See something similar?). It's ok, because they turned it into something that we all love. It's a wonderful design, but completely original? No. Where was their time in research coming up with that design? Probably someone behind a computer researching high performance super cars that provide function with a design that could be incorporated on the S2000. Kudos really need to be made to the person that designed the Porsche's, but do any of us give props to them? No. An argument could be made that maybe the person that came up with that design for the Porsche took cues from another car. Who knows? Who cares? It works. It looks, and functions very well which was the goal of the project. Yes, I know that ASM also puts a lot of R&D into their work as well, and I am not trying to pull away from that. I have seen the pictures, I have read the blogs. I have big respect for ASM (and similar companies). My point is that even highly respected companies like ASM sometimes pull inspiration from other things.

Everyone is going to copy something. There are very few completely original ideas out there anymore (across any industry). Don't read too much into that. I understand that a Ferrari 430 is an original design compared to the Ferrari 360, for example. But one could argue that they are 'similar', no? Minor tweaks, and changes here and there to make something that worked very well into something new - I get that idea. But was the 430 a completely unique idea? I would argue no. Want another example? Look at a polo shirt hanging in your closet. You think whatever brand label is on that shirt was the first company to ever create a polo shirt (read - I am not talking about the design on the shirt, but rather the concept of a polo shirt)? OMG! You're supporting a replica company! Breathe. It's ok. It's bound to happen.

Anyway, I have rambled on for far too long. I am sure I am going to be stirring up some love or hate with this response. Fair enough. This is the internet. I'm allowed to voice an opinion, no? Happy interneting
Nice informative post, but I do have to point out that some replicas are different in their function,

Just like you said I would much rather buy a replica bumper and take it to the track rather then wreck a 1500$ bumper, I do so because in my opinion it is the best financial choice that will not hinder the performance on a major scale. (Neglecting minute differences in downforce/airflow or whatever)

But In some cases for example like wheels, sometimes if a replicas is notorious for breaking under high stress on the track, the extra money will make a huge difference. I am not sure of any turbo replicas, but it's the same concept - the real thing in this situation is most likely a necessity rather then a status symbol.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by EastS2k,Dec 21 2010, 04:53 PM
But In some cases for example like wheels, sometimes if a replicas is notorious for breaking under high stress on the track, the extra money will make a huge difference. I am not sure of any turbo replicas, but it's the same concept - the real thing in this situation is most likely a necessity rather then a status symbol.
Yes, and I agree with this point completely. When it comes to safety you don't want to skimp. But I fear that people tend to over exaggerate when looking at examples of flawed replica wheels. Just because some sets of wheels broke doesn't mean that all will. The question is if you want to take that risk. But honestly that fact (obviously in very different manners) can be said about just about every company. Every company (just about) will have some flaws here and there. I have even seen pictures of a new Ferrari 458 with a slew of paint imperfections, and bumper alignment issues for example. The problem is that there will always be human error when humans are involved in production. No one is perfect.

People are always going to take a risk. That's how a lot of companies stay in business. Look at the companies that produce racing seats. You think that all of them are certified? Nope. Will people still buy them because they look like the high end versions, and want the look? Absolutely!
Old 12-21-2010, 09:31 PM

I learned my lesson buying knockoff products, I always end up buying genuine after I buy a fake, wasting money trying to save money.

Quick Reply: Why do most people hate knock-off wheels?