Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winter tires? need help

Old 09-08-2012, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter tires? need help

im in need of some winter tires. winters get pretty bad here.

I want some blizzaks ws50 lm22 or something that is just amazing in snow and ice so i feel comfortable dd'ing the car. Went to discount tire to see what deals they had and the kid knew how to read the screen and was very monotone like ohh we have these and these, but was by far not a car enthusiast so he seemed to know about as much as the bottom of my shoe.

What do you guys recommend, oe stock size? and where to get them from
Old 09-09-2012, 01:21 PM

I've gone through two sets of Blizzak tires on my light truck, but never tried them on a S2000. They are amazing and outperformed the Cooper Weather-Master ST/2 tires (also a dedicated siped winter tire) I used on my truck last winter. I don't see how you could go wrong with Blizzaks if they're available for an S2000. They'll still float more than a narrower passenger car Blizzak tire would though, I'm am predicting.

Steve
Old 09-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Blizzaks on my Trans Am and the car did great. My family has also had good experience with them in RWD cars: my stepdad's S-Type R (390hp, 4.2 supercharged), my mom's old Boxster, and her current XKR (420hp, 4.2 supercharged). As long as you drive properly for the conditions you will get through almost anything in the winter. The only time you will run into problems will be when the snow is above the frame of the car or if you happen to be stuck in the unfortunate position of coming to a stop on an incline covered in ice. No tire will get you out of that situation.

I have been running General Altimax Arctic on the S2000 for the past two winters in 205/225 stagger size and they have done just as well as the Blizzaks in the snow and ice. They are a lot worse on dry pavement though--I can reach the limit of grip far sooner on the Generals than I could with the Blizzaks. This only matters if you are like me and want to push your car on those in-between-snow days when the roads are clear but you still have your stupid snow tires on
Old 09-10-2012, 06:28 AM

as another option and alternative to blizzaks, I used to use Gislaveds on my BMW when I lived in Md with fantastic results
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had great success with Dunlop Winter Sport M3 on my previous car
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....inter+Sport+M3

Install stock width, or if possible, one step narrower than stock.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:23 PM

you really recommend running a narrower tire in the rear?
Old 09-11-2012, 05:52 AM

Yes, it will "cut" through the snow and get better grip. The problem is that the sizes aren't usually available.

Another winter tire option is the Federal Himilaya WS2. Looks very similar the the General in tread design, but is available in stock sizes. I have no direct experience with them, but I've heard good things. The price is also hard to beat.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Blizzak's are the best traction in the worst conditions. If you do get a lot of snow the narrower tires will work better. The Dunlop Winter Sport is going to handle better on dry roads but not give the ultimate traction of the Blizzak.
Give me a call if I can help.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 AM

Jim, does the Blizzak come in 205/55/16 and 225/50/16? Those sizes weren't listed on the website when I last checked. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:11 PM

thats the problem im having as well jim. cannot find the blizzaks for my car. i hear nothing but good things about blizzaks. I drive the car part time its not a full dd. so im more concerned in surviving my commute to my pt job and gettings around town maybe highway if need be. went to discount tire and they carry lm22s i believe only for fronts or something goofy, i dont even think the kid knew what an s2000 was so i promptly left.

Quick Reply: winter tires? need help