Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You drive your AP1 in the rain?

Old 07-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default You drive your AP1 in the rain?

Reason why I say AP1s is because of no VSA. Its time for new tires for me and rainy season is coming around. What gets me worried is the car suddenly losing it on a rainy highway while turning. I watched this, a car very similar to the 2K. Or should a good set of tires be just fine? Definitely want to test the limits of the car on one of these courses, and not find out on public roads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8qggahGNH0
Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whether you have good tires or not if you are heavy on the throttle you WILL lose the rear. Good driving > tires when it comes to rain, I've seen people do it on RS3's and stay in a complete straight line. While others will do it on all season tires and lose it on just about any corner.

Just my 02. Practice makes perfect, go slide around in a parking lot free of posts, and speedbumps when it rains near you and learn a bit about your car. Just be sure to respect the power, and remember how AP1's are prone to oversteer.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't drive like a moron in the rain and you won't crash your car. Simple as that.

Attempt to be Vin Diesel with 1/2" of standing water on low tread summer tires and you'll get exactly what you have coming.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 PM

I don't have an AP1, but I do have an '05...meaning no VSA either.

It doesn't rain here often, but when it does I don't take the S2000 out. I have taken it once or twice in the rain to see how it does, and even with a light throttle around corners you can feel it slip and slide a bit.

Of course you CAN take it out and survive if you stay very light on the go pedal, but I'd rather take one of the other cars in the garage.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I do in the rain is drive at 60mph like a grandma and stay in one lane, but I still do have all seasons tires that I got when I first bought the s2k. It's contential extreme DWS (something like that incase you want to know what kind of tires).
Old 07-01-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate
Whether you have good tires or not if you are heavy on the throttle you WILL lose the rear. Good driving > tires when it comes to rain, I've seen people do it on RS3's and stay in a complete straight line. While others will do it on all season tires and lose it on just about any corner.

Just my 02. Practice makes perfect, go slide around in a parking lot free of posts, and speedbumps when it rains near you and learn a bit about your car. Just be sure to respect the power, and remember how AP1's are prone to oversteer.
Is there a possibility of damaging anything in the car while sliding around in a parking lot? Will it being wet wear the tires less from sliding?
Old 07-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Thateguhate

Both driving and tires are important. No matter how good of a driver you are, I'm sure you don't want to get caught on the highway in a massive downpour with hard bald poorly-inflated tires.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dwight
Originally Posted by Thateguhate' timestamp='1341203481' post='21827067

Both driving and tires are important. No matter how good of a driver you are, I'm sure you don't want to get caught on the highway in a massive downpour with hard bald poorly-inflated tires.
No you don't but it's not necessarily life or death either if your not stupid about it. Obviously he knows enough to ask about this and that alone proves he's fairly level headed enough, Therfore if he can scrape by through a storm or two to get tires by all means do it but be careful.

I never said throw slicks on and go to town.. Hell no, Nobody should constantly drive on bald tires but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Originally Posted by Si Isnt Enough
Originally Posted by Thateguhate' timestamp='1341203481' post='21827067

Is there a possibility of damaging anything in the car while sliding around in a parking lot? Will it being wet wear the tires less from sliding?
Far less than what you would wear out when its dry outside. What you will be wearing down the most would be your clutch.. So making a full day out of it is not advisable but if you wanted to go take your car on an old set of tires it only betters your experience and trains you how to be a better defensive/offensive driver.

I'd try and find the largest and most secluded lot possible though and make sure the business is closed at the time.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Syn
Don't drive like a moron in the rain and you won't crash your car. Simple as that.

Attempt to be Vin Diesel with 1/2" of standing water on low tread summer tires and you'll get exactly what you have coming.
I don't drive like a moron. I know how easy it is for it to oversteer even when dry out. I wanted opinions, I am a very careful driver. Obviously, I'm not some dumb shit kid speeding and shit. I'm coming from German V8 sedans to an S2K, I've learned lots about it but I wanted .02, of owners with more experience.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 PM

If anything you should be more worried about the people around you than yourself.

Quick Reply: You drive your AP1 in the rain?