Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rims damaged by detail shop, can't figure out how

Old 06-02-2018, 05:29 AM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
Let me know what shop does the work and how they turn out. If I keep my other set of SSRs, I plan to have them stripped and repainted.
I plan on going here, I stopped by and also got a tour of the facility:

​​​​​​https://www.phoenixrimrepair.com/
Old 06-12-2018, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
It looks like they used a cleaning product that etches bare aluminum. Not at all uncommon for many wheel cleaning products.

Try to find out what they cleaned the wheels with.
He said they used 'Auto Magic' non acid based cleaner on the rims.

Car Care Auto Detailing Products - Auto Magic

He wasn't able to explain exactly the steps they used, he keeps changing the information on me so at this stage I took the refund and moved on.

Can you elaborate on 'aluminum etching'? When you run your fingernail on the areas in the first 2 pics you can feel that section gone, it's paper thin. Is that the clear coat missing? I'm trying to understand exactly what I'm dealing with here before I proceed with an action plan.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:15 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would probably try to polish that area of the aluminum. A spot polish wont give you a perfect result but it should mask the blemish really well.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:41 AM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by JonC
I would probably try to polish that area of the aluminum. A spot polish wont give you a perfect result but it should mask the blemish really well.
You could polish but then you are left with a spot of polished bare aluminum surrounded by clear coated and painted aluminum. You still are going to have to repaint and clear coat the thing.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:26 PM

So is it clear coat that's missing in those spots? If you can imagine running your fingernail along the aluminum edge, when you get to this spot you can feel the material is gone, it's paper thin.

This is what I'm trying to understand, those spots are not blemishes, there is something actually missing and I don't know if that is clear coat or metal...
Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

Our (yours) rims and almost every "silver" OEM rim out there is painted and clear coated. It may look like aluminum but it is not, it is painted. Some widely used wheel cleaners are quite harsh and will erode the clear coat, paint, and in many cases start to oxidize the metal underneath. I don't know how far gone yours are.

I had to repaint my wheels and I did it twice a year apart. There is a definite learning curve. It has been about 3 or 4 years now and my wheels still look great. I used Dupli Color silver wheel paint in the spray cans. Used 3X5 cards inserted between the tire and rim, masked the rest. There is an art form putting the paint down.

My way was not expensive at all, but I had to do it twice before I was happy. I still may have them professional re-done if and when I get new wheels. Not crazy about powder coating as higher temps can compromise the metal integrity. There is low temp (so I have heard) powder coating but the shops in Sacramento have not let on to it.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:38 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

I know I posted this before but again what we're looking at is a failing clear-coat, not missing clear. Just like an Arizona car with fading, milky, rough, patchy paint clear would look like... this is exactly what's happening here.

Now this happened to my AP2V1 wheels and it was after multiple uses of acid.

A. The clear was already failing and that wheel cleaner finished them off because they left it on there for too long
B. They're lying and they used acid (and left it on there for too long)
Old 06-16-2018, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by EOE
I know I posted this before but again what we're looking at is a failing clear-coat, not missing clear. Just like an Arizona car with fading, milky, rough, patchy paint clear would look like... this is exactly what's happening here.

Now this happened to my AP2V1 wheels and it was after multiple uses of acid.

A. The clear was already failing and that wheel cleaner finished them off because they left it on there for too long
B. They're lying and they used acid (and left it on there for too long)
Very helpful insight, and explains a lot. I can't believe how much clear coat is on these rims, I always thought that was aluminum on the edge. Did you ever consider refurbing the wheels to restore them?
Old 06-16-2018, 08:05 PM
EOE

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Guide
Very helpful insight, and explains a lot. I can't believe how much clear coat is on these rims, I always thought that was aluminum on the edge. Did you ever consider refurbing the wheels to restore them?
I did not. Even my 1996 Prelude Si VTEC (what a great car) wheels were cleared with brushed face. I can't even think of post 90s vehicles with non-cleared wheels. You're now left with a few options... Refinish all 4 wheels (won't look right), buy reps (I wouldn't), or buy wheels you've always wanted. To be honest, just buy the wheels you've always wanted... no one will ever match Honda quality so at this point go for Jap wheels instead.

I really mean it.