The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

UMW Formula 1 Discussion Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

That would have been funny, but I doubt Red Bull would be willing to risk the constructor's championship no matter how "in hand" it was just to spite Ferarri. I think they were happy to have any red car move down the grid. The constructors don't REALLY care about the driver's championship.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ruexp67
That would have been funny, but I doubt Red Bull would be willing to risk the constructor's championship no matter how "in hand" it was just to spite Ferarri. I think they were happy to have any red car move down the grid. The constructors don't REALLY care about the driver's championship.
True. Maybe Vettel should have thought of it????

I was really impressed with the race. Was exciting to see Vettel and Hamilton go back and forth and the action towards the back was excellent. I'm curious to see how live vs tv compared once I see Mocky.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I would have been tempted to hike up the tower and watch a bunch of the race from there

I wonder if there will ever be grid manipulation again. It would seem that the track will be matured by next year, providing no real advantage
Old 11-21-2012, 02:05 AM
JHo

With how important the starts are, I don't know why the series don't do the following Friday night before the race:

Develop a street tire tire with the right compound for the race cars. Run a line of barrels down the center of the track on the start straight. Get 50 cars and put these tires on them. Have them do down and back laps driving through the start boxes. This would help clean up the dirty side and make it a bit more fair. Probably would have to be Miatas to match the track width of the F1 cars?

Other idea is to make qualifying start position pick spots and then let the drivers pick the spot they start from. Then the person who qualified 2 could start from the 3 spot if he thought there was an advantage.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
I would have been tempted to hike up the tower and watch a bunch of the race from there

I wonder if there will ever be grid manipulation again. It would seem that the track will be matured by next year, providing no real advantage

I think there is grid manipulation pretty often actually. This was just the most blatent form I've ever seen. And many, many tracks have a problem with the "dirty" side of the track. It has to do with lesser used tracks getting dusty and dirty all year.

Also, I don't think the plan to lay down rubber will work. Well, in some places maybe, but I'm thinking about Abu Dhabi where there is so much sand, that the aero on the F1 cars would just blow it around and recreate the dirty side immediatly.

Also, while I like the idea, a Miata couldn't have tires wide enough to do what you are suggesting. It would be like painting a wall with a detail brush.They'd need a Viper or something with the really wide tires. Of course, it's F1, so theyd probably just purpose build some cars for that.

Was there a GP2 race at Austin? If so, that could have helped too.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,614 Likes on 1,916 Posts

Well that was an exciting race.

Felt really bad for Lewis, it would've been really nice to see him and Jenson on the podium together.

Still not a Vettel fan.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Good race to watch

Hulkenburg was certainly over anxious. If he had just waited, his car was clearly better in the wet, and he would have likely passed Hamilton anyway. Most likely would have won the race.

Vettel and RBR had bad strategy all day. Played the start too safe, and got caught up in the normal mid pack stupidity. Then played the tire change wrong. They were fortunate it did not cost them, though Webber could have conceded a position, like Massa did.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:11 PM
JHo

That was an amazing race. I wish Red Bull was bit in the ass with the worst race strategy EVER!!!! That was terrible, and if it wasn't for Sebastian passing everybody and their mother again, he should have lost the driver championship. After that he's right there with Fernando as best driver in F1 right now. Even if he is into himself.

I wish we would see the incredible Hulk in the McClaren next year. His drive was awesome until he got a little excited.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM

No question McClaren picked the wrong driver to take Hamilton's place

Allegedly, Perez brings big sponsorship $$$, but I can't believe they need it
Old 11-27-2012, 02:31 AM

I don't know if Hukenberg got too exicted, or the car that was in the way was just THAT much slower than Hamilton/Hulkenberg were.

They showed the replay of Vettel passing under a yellow, but then claimed that those were track condition lights. That seemed like to me.

They announced that Alonzo has 2 championships, but has lost 3 championships on the last race of the year. Harsh.

Overall, the craziest race I've ever seen. AWESOME show.

On a final note, Sam Posey was so freaking awesome in the booth. He had interesting and intelligent things to say. He REALLY showed up all three of the regular announcers. That said, I will miss Bob Varsha, but will NOT miss David Hobbs. He talks like has his mouth stuffed with clag, calls the drivers by the wrong names (sometimes on purpose) and is just generally annoying. I was hoping ONE good thing would come from a move to NBC.

Quick Reply: UMW Formula 1 Discussion Thread