The Windy City - Off Topic A place to relax and unwind. Off topic section of the UMW.

UMW Formula 1 Discussion Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 08:46 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Pros:
--Verstappen being verstappen and taking himself and Kimi out of the race. Always love seeing his dumbshit low-percentage moves end in disaster for him; sorry it knocked Kimi out though. Would rather it had been Vettel.
--The little kid -- that was adorable. Even Kimi was smiling.
--ALONSO PASSED SOMEBODY ON A STRAIGHTAWAY HOLY SHITBALLS
--Hamilton winning -- still not a fan technically but I'll take him over Vettel any day.
--Strategy played such an interesting role in this race, and it was very visible. I heard Vettel say in the pre-podium room that he 'had no idea where his 8 second lead went' -- it was strategy (and Bottas) that made it go away

Cons:
--Vettel finishing second. 'nuff said
--Poor bottas. He seemed in pretty good spirits about it though. I think that he received high marks from the team for holding Vettel up for those four laps -- without that Vettel would have won.
--Whatever happened to Alonso at the beginning to send him through the gravel. I would have loved to see him with a little better shot at some points
--WTF is with Lance Stroll? That guy must have graduated from the Pastor Maldonado School of CrashDriving.
--My fantasy F1 team did NOT do well this weekend. ugh

Most enjoyable race of the year for me so far. Looking forward to the weekend after next for many reasons!

EDIT: Agreed on the Rosberg thing. Everybody just seems so much more comfortable off (and on) the track. There have even been a few moments when it actually looks like they having a little bit of *gasp* fun!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:48 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I REALLY enjoyed this race.

As a Ham fan, that is reason one.

But also, Ocon is The Truth and generally great to see Force India near the front.

Wehrlein drove a GREAT race. That dude should've gotten Bottas' seat (and that's even after Bottas' great performance holding up Vettel yesterday).
Old 05-30-2017, 06:12 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,910 Posts

So....Monaco was a bit of a bore.

How bout that Indy race though
Old 05-30-2017, 06:14 AM

i think everybody at the bar we watched from knew that something bad happened on lap 179... my reaction was perhaps a little loud.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
So....Monaco was a bit of a bore.

How bout that Indy race though
Yes and yes.

Indy was GREAT. I've never watched the 500 before...but they've got me. Kind of want to attend the Indy race at Road America in a few weeks.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:32 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Originally Posted by chazzguitar
i think everybody at the bar we watched from knew that something bad happened on lap 179... my reaction was perhaps a little loud.
I'm not the biggest Alonso fan, but I did want him to win. Could not believe what happened, I felt so bad for him

Edit: Sato winning was pretty cool though
Old 05-30-2017, 06:35 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

I really was surprised Sato won. Good for Honda and Andretti also. I felt bad for Alonso. Minus the grid spot penalty , he could have been a top 5 qualifier and it would have made an interesting race.

Monaco continues to underimpress me. After qualifying, it's basically parade laps on Sunday.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:38 AM

Monaco is far and away my least favorite race of the F1 season. I don't think I'll ever watch that race again.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Yes and yes.

Indy was GREAT. I've never watched the 500 before...but they've got me. Kind of want to attend the Indy race at Road America in a few weeks.
Dude, RA is an excellent place to watch Indy. I typically go up on the Friday; on that day the ticket comes with paddock/pit access so you can get right up close to the cars, teams and drivers if that's your thing. And, the variety of vantage points around RA you can choose your own adventure. Last year my favorite vantage point was on the outside of the exit to the carousel and entrance of the kink -- they fcuking FLY through there and it's really something to behold.

That being said, I'm going to be up there on Saturday this year because my Baird guy puts an event together with RealTime Racing Pirelli World Challenge team (the factory NSXs this year!) every year for the first time the PWC is supporting Indy... hospitality access to the RTR garage, pit walk and getting up close with the cars (the last few years they were running TSXs which were cool in their own right... this year is going to be so freaking cool), food/booze, etc.. If you're thinking of coming up on Saturday let me know and maybe I can wrangle another lanyard! Could at least meet up and walk around.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:39 AM

Ooooooo.

I'll look into that. Need to peep ticket prices & such.

Quick Reply: UMW Formula 1 Discussion Thread