S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Acura RL caliper coversion

Old 02-09-2013, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Acura RL caliper coversion

Im a bit of a gearhead...and always fiddling with my cars sometime for good and bad.

My question has anyone looked into a conversion for the Acura RL 4-pot calipers to the S2K?

Ive tracked my S2k once so far and drive a canyon daily since buying it a few months ago and the stock brakes are great they just dont look good(as good as the RL's) and theres always room for improvement.

Ive got no problem making my own backets and doing the machine work, just wanting to know if its remotely possible before spending the money.

thanks, Andrew
Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

People have done the Accord calipers but the results seem a bit scattered.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

i dont know how much bigger the RL calipers are, but Ive successfully installed DC5R brembos on my S.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jack_in_the_Box
i dont know how much bigger the RL calipers are, but Ive successfully installed DC5R brembos on my S.
Yeah ive got a set of Super Latemodel nascar brakes in my garage, but since those cost about 2,000$ and are wayyyy to big i cant use them. the big brake conversions cost around 1,500$, the acura RL brakes are almost as good as the Wilwoods and are a quarter of the price. (can get a pair for 3-400$)
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen someone do the TL brembos. Do a search, should be on here somewhere
Old 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big problem is that the brake bias on callipers from a car that weighs like twice as much as an s2000 is going to throw off brake balance big time...
DC5 conversion is a better match to the s2000 weight, but the reason people upgrade brakes to a BBK on the s2000 for the track is increased heat capacity in the larger rotor which combats break fade. The DC5 calliper fits an OEM diameter rotor. Your best bet is to just buy a nice stoptech BBK and call it a day, plug n play, perfect bias, bigger rotors and bling bling.

Monoblocks will help brake feel and modulation, however it will not increase heat capacity much if at all. Bigger rotor = more endurance, Monoblock Caliper = weight savings and better feel.

And remember, tires are what make your car stop in a shorter difference not fancy brake callipers.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

go with Stoptech of you can make them fit.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Croc
go with Stoptech of you can make them fit.
I 2nd this decision. Stoptech kits are engineered for each specific application. While I trust my fabrication skills, I will not mess around when it comes to brakes. That's just something that's too important.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:10 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Another question to ask is- does any manufacturer produce quality brake pads for those calipers, or will you be stuck with oem and cheap autopart store replacements.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 AM

I tracked my car quite often with this exact setup and have had zero issues with brake bias. Plus installing a adjustable proportion valve is the most simple thing on the planet. I use one on my drift car and our teams rally car along with most rally cars out there competing. It only takes about five minutes on the track to dial in. So ive been there done that and have had no issues. People give out way too much inaccurate or discourageing information, when they themselves have little or no experience with the matter.

The braking was almost perfect with out adjusting the proportion. Also there is plenty of aftermarket pad support out there for these calipers. I am running a carbon kevlar pad at the moment. The bracket fabrication wasn't extremely difficult, but you will find out with the way these calipers mount you will have no room to play with. A aftermarket setup will be the easier option but these calipers are lighter and larger than the brembos and even some alcons ive had my hands on. Many Nsx guys have used these and are very happy with the results.

Name:  DSC01888_zps4f73ad40.jpg
Views: 6868
Size:  104.0 KB
Name:  DSC01890_zpse3e52ddf.jpg
Views: 4217
Size:  109.1 KB

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/997...w-ball-mounts/

Quick Reply: Acura RL caliper coversion