UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Brake light problem

Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake light problem

My friend was behind me in my S2000 and remarked how my brake lights were flickering when i was braking and so when i got back to mine we had a test and got him to brake for me so i could see. It's a bit of an odd problem because when i brake sometimes it works fine and all 3 brake lights light up fine but then other times its just the lights that light up when the headlights have been turned on light up (which are pretty dim, especially in bright sunlight).

Does anyone have any ideas? i didn't think it would be a fuse because if it was then the lights would not come on at all.

I'm not even sure what it could be?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Coldfuse
My friend was behind me in my S2000 and remarked how my brake lights were flickering when i was braking and so when i got back to mine we had a test and got him to brake for me so i could see. It's a bit of an odd problem because when i brake sometimes it works fine and all 3 brake lights light up fine but then other times its just the lights that light up when the headlights have been turned on light up (which are pretty dim, especially in bright sunlight).

Does anyone have any ideas? i didn't think it would be a fuse because if it was then the lights would not come on at all.

I'm not even sure what it could be?
just go through that again,
Old 05-08-2013, 12:03 PM

dodgy earth connection
Old 05-08-2013, 12:04 PM

or faulty switch
Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 AM

Sorry i may not have explained myself. When i brake, my brake lights don't activate (my brakes work fine) but just the rear side lights come on. Does that make more sense?

How can i check the earth?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:56 AM

My previous S2k, the brake light switch under the actual brake pedal failed and stopped the lights showing altogether.

You can unscrew the nut that holds it in and it pops out pretty easily, I then dismantled mine and cleaned the contacts with some contact cleaner spray and a wirebrush - put it back together and this fixed it.

Worth a try as it's not difficult to do

Just found a guide here:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/842...xed-with-pics/
Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Even more simple than that - have a look inside the wiring shroud that clips to the left boot hinge
Old 05-09-2013, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by RichwiththeS2000
My previous S2k, the brake light switch under the actual brake pedal failed and stopped the lights showing altogether.

You can unscrew the nut that holds it in and it pops out pretty easily, I then dismantled mine and cleaned the contacts with some contact cleaner spray and a wirebrush - put it back together and this fixed it.

Worth a try as it's not difficult to do

Just found a guide here:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/842...xed-with-pics/
Thanks for that, more and more it sounds like a faulty switch after reading that link you posted. I might have to give that a go after i get back from Japfest this weekend.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
Even more simple than that - have a look inside the wiring shroud that clips to the left boot hinge
What do i look for? the lights still light up ocasionally. Its just tempremental!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:33 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You're looking for a break in a wire around the hinge point i'd suspect. Just have a look at where the wire does the most bending, you may need to test continuity with a circuit tester to find the problem one.

Does your remote boot unlock button fail to work occasionally too?

Quick Reply: Brake light problem