S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Shipping Advise, Please?

Old 10-04-2013, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shipping Advise, Please?

My loan was just approved to purchase my S, now I face the next challenge: Ship it or drive it? I've received quotes from $500 to $1400 dollars to ship, but I'm told there is no guarantee the car will arrive within a precise time frame; "it could sit there for up to a week before anyone touches it", the sales rep tells me. Not to mention the possibility of damage during shipping as a result of the driver's carelessness or stupidity.

I've also given consideration to driving her back from Charlotte to San Diego, but I'm wondering if doing that would be just as expensive as a safe, reliable, honest, and careful trucker to move my car for me. I'm not a rich man by any means, but I have no problem paying for proven quality.

Has anyone shipped their S before? Which company should I consider? Which to avoid? Any thoughts on either choice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I'd probably drive it and enjoy the trip. Weather would be perfect right now.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,918 Posts

I had a car shipped from Seattle to Michigan a couple years ago. The carriers are good, they are also insured. I paid around $900 for covered transport. I used a company called Carmoza.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

A week for shipping company to pick it up seems very good. When I sold my last car to someone in CA, I waited 3 weeks for it to be picked up. Common routes will be quicker to pick up but I'm surprised NC to CA is one of them.

If the car is lowered it is almost certain the bumpers will get damaged, even on stock ride height the front bumper could be scraped if the driver is careless. If you're going to have it shipped, make sure the dealership takes plenty of high quality pictures BEFORE shipping to confirm its condition, and if the car arrives with damage you have proof of it happening in transit.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend used DAS to ship a couple of Corollas from LA to Atlanta. I think it cost him $600 each. They did drag the muffler off of one when they were loading it.

http://www.dasautoshippers.com/auto-transport
Old 10-04-2013, 09:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

driving it back is an unbelievable experience so i would consider it. i live in NY and picked mine up in Ohio. not nearly as long a ride as you would have but it definitely makes you fall in love with the car from the jump.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
x2
Old 10-04-2013, 10:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Orjinal
A week for shipping company to pick it up seems very good. When I sold my last car to someone in CA, I waited 3 weeks for it to be picked up. Common routes will be quicker to pick up but I'm surprised NC to CA is one of them.

If the car is lowered it is almost certain the bumpers will get damaged, even on stock ride height the front bumper could be scraped if the driver is careless. If you're going to have it shipped, make sure the dealership takes plenty of high quality pictures BEFORE shipping to confirm its condition, and if the car arrives with damage you have proof of it happening in transit.
San Diego is a major shipping port, probably why there is a good delivery schedule.

Maybe the dealer/seller can put the spring spacers in before delivery?

10 years ago, no brainer. I would have taken a week off from work and did the road trip solo or with a friend. Now, I don't think I could tolerate 8 hours a day in this car for a week. Plus, there is some very monotonous driving through Texas on this route which would challenge anybody's sanity.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:58 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 9g
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1380901555' post='22811031
x2
x3

Picking my S up in Virginia and driving it back to Ohio was a great trip with great memories.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:58 PM

I picked up my S2000 in Kentucky and drove it to Los Angeles. I would do it again given the opportunity. Gas, hotels and food cost me $900, and that was going the long way. If you have the time, go for it.

Quick Reply: Shipping Advise, Please?