UK & Ireland Meets & Events - Past Archive of old meets in the past

North & South Big Day Out at Vulcan XM655 - Sun 25th May *

Old 10-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default North & South Big Day Out at Vulcan XM655 - Sun 25th May *

After the recent thread discussing the North/South divide, blue monster and me both felt there was a need for a joint day to allow folks to get together and get to know one and other properly. Having both run meets last year we had a chat about merging our previously successful photo shoot and picnic days.

We needed a venue that was interesting and as close to half way as we could find. We think we've found such a venue; XM655. It's not quite dead centre, if you use Heathrow and Manchester airport as arbitrary starting points it's about 30 miles out. I've had an email from the 655 Maintenance and Preservation Society to outline details of a day there; it's a VERY attractive package:

"Maximum size would be 24 people per group, and we are able to accommodate two groups on the chosen Sunday with the first starting at 1000 and the second at 1400, so theoretically we could manage up to 48 visitors. There is also a small wartime museum at the other end of the airfield that is open on Sundays – it might be an idea to split the morning/afternoon sessions in this way, although you would have to make your own arrangements with the museum (who do charge a nominal fee for entry). There is also a very popular airfield café situated near the museum.Suggested minimum donation for visiting XM655 is £10 per person.

The visit would include (dependent on aircraft serviceability) a demonstration of the aircraft electrical and hydraulic systems, cockpit tours (in group of 4), guided tours of all our other facilities, tea/coffee, and access to our shop and DVD viewing"

There will also be an opportunity for a group photo with our cars and the aircraft. If there's time we should be able to get individual shots too.

We have booked the 25th May 2014 as our date, this is the 2nd May Bank Holiday which will allow an extra day to get over part two of the event, the social bit For the first part of the day we have arranged that we can have more people than the original 48 on site, but the aircraft tours will still be limited to 48. If you are bringing a +1 who is not interested in the tour please let us know so we can manage the numbers accordingly. Inclusion of the aircraft tour will be on a strictly first come, first served basis.

I am also proposing that everyone makes at least the minimum donation whether on the aircraft tours or not; this is after all a very precious part of our engineering heritage, supported only by the public.

Current numbers don't warrant two sessions so the proposal is we run one big session. We need to be at Wellesbourne Airfield for an 11:00 start with up to 28 people accommodated on the tour.

The evening entertainment will comprise a meal and drinks here Staverton Park and is optional for those coming to the day.

meeting times, venue and onward routing to the hotel are confirmed as:

Time - The tour starts at 11:00 so I suggest we arrive no later than 10:50. I'll be aiming to be there at around 10:30. A map of the site can be found at the bottom of this page.

Venue - Vulcan XM655 is located next to the South Warwickshire Flying School, CV35 9EU. Entrance off Loxley Lane.

I'm not planning a convoy for those going on to the hotel, but there is a route I'm planning to take here, it takes in a bit of the Fosse Way.

Hopefully this covers it, if anyone wants anymore info, please just ask
So, who's interested? Please PM Vixen, indicating how many people will be in your car and if you would be interested in the social part.

Vixen has very kindly done the Project Manger thing and created a spreadsheet to keep a track of who's coming and eating etc. which can be found here: Attendance List

IMPORTANT BOOKING INFO:

Costs:
Tour - as above donations are requested and these will be taken on the day.

Dinner £25 - excl drinks (I will circulate menu for you to choose before hand) (+£5pp for non S2KUK members - so renew/join! http://www.s2kuk.com)
Rooms £79 for double occupancy and £68 for single occupancy B&B (I am assuming pay on departure but need to check this) £29 offer on some websites.

The club are kindly covering the cost of the function room, hence the extra £5pp for non members.

To Pay for the meal... please send a bank transfer to:
UK S2000 Owners Club
HSBC
40-38-20
With Reference: NorthSouth

This will be non-refundable and required in the next couple of weeks to ensure we can secure the room.

Please PM Vixen when you have paid and if booking hotel room so she can keep track

[hr]Edit by Minvo:
On S2KUK Calendar - Yes
On S2KUK Schedule - Yes
Committee Oragnised - No
Public Roads Included - N/A
Possible Attendees > 12 - Yes
MSA Permit Requested - No
MSA Permit Accepted - N/A
[hr]
Old 10-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE="PaulF"]After the recent thread discussing the North/South divide, blue monster and me both felt there was a need for a joint day to allow folks to get together and get to know one and other properly. Having both run meets last year we had a chat about merging our previously successful photo shoot and picnic days.

We needed a venue that was interesting and as close to half way as we could find. We think we've found such a venue; XM655. It's not quite dead centre, if you use Heathrow and Manchester airport as arbitrary starting points it's about 30 miles out. I've had an email from the 655 Maintenance and Preservation Society to outline details of a day there; it's a VERY attractive package:

"Maximum size would be 24 people per group, and we are able to accommodate two groups on the chosen Sunday with the first starting at 1000 and the second at 1400, so theoretically we could manage up to 48 visitors. There is also a small wartime museum at the other end of the airfield that is open on Sundays – it might be an idea to split the morning/afternoon sessions in this way, although you would have to make your own arrangements with the museum (who do charge a nominal fee for entry). There is also a very popular airfield café situated near the museum.Suggested minimum donation for visiting XM655 is £10 per person.

The visit would include (dependent on aircraft serviceability) a demonstration of the aircraft electrical and hydraulic systems, cockpit tours (in group of 4), guided tours of all our other facilities, tea/coffee, and access to our shop and DVD viewing"

There will also be an opportunity for a group photo with our cars and the aircraft. If there's time we should be able to get individual shots too.

We are trying to get a Bank Holiday Sunday next May which will allow us to hold part two; a social evening where we can eat drink and be merry. There are a number of hotels in the local area, most of which are offering decent rates at the moment; I'm sure a group booking will secure a decent rate anyway.

As mentioned above numbers will be strictly limited to 48 people. We are trying to negotiate a larger group should people not be interested in the aircraft tour.

So, who's interested? Please add your name to the list below, indicating how many people will be in your car and if you would be interested in the social part.

1. PaulF and Wifey - day and social
2. blue monster + 1 - day and social
3. Rtvgreeneagle + 1 - day and social
Old 10-15-2013, 02:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

4. Soupdragon & Tiny Clanger - day and social
Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

5. Caboose +1 - day and social.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

EDIT: Now the date has been chosen I think the chances of me getting the B/H off will be slim.

Sorry.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:35 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

1.PaulF and Wifey - day and social
6. Minvo and McMinny - day and social (depending on which B/H date is chosen in May. McMinny is working on the 1st B/H and I'm down for a shift on the 2nd B/H).
7. LG - day and social
Old 10-16-2013, 03:20 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

6. Minvo and McMinny - day and social (depending on which B/H date is chosen in May. McMinny is working on the 1st B/H and I'm down for a shift on the 2nd B/H).
7. LG - day and social
8. Toms1989 + 1 Day & Social
Old 10-16-2013, 03:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

7. LG - day and social
9. Bucksfez +1 - day and social
Old 10-16-2013, 03:33 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

7. LG - day and social
10. Daytona-Dave + 1 Day and social
Old 10-16-2013, 03:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

7. LG - day and social
10. Daytona-Dave + 1 Day and social
11. Kim-S2K Day and social

Quick Reply: North & South Big Day Out at Vulcan XM655 - Sun 25th May *