S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread

Hey all, I was really wanting to hold off on starting a build thread until after I got the car running but I just can't wait anymore. Before I get into the build, I'd like to give you a little background on me: I have been taking things apart and building stuff since I was about 7 (Asian) and love designing and making things. Served 5 years in the Navy as an aviation electronics technician but spent most of my free time in the machine and metal shops. I've been working on cars for over 10 years doing everything from simple maintenance to custom wiring harnesses, to engine builds, and turbo builds. I bought my first S2000 about 3 years ago and absolutely fell in love with them! Just like many of you, I quickly realized that the s2 was lacking in 1 specific area: bruit force. I've been browsing the FI pages for years, watching and learning from others' builds; successes and failures. I knew it was only a matter of time before biting the bullet myself and boosting my car. However, I was not too excited about spending all the money for an "off the shelf" kit (as nice as some of them are). Being the hands-on guy that I am, I decided to piece together my own turbo kit.

I will be addressing 5 main areas in this build thread: Turbo setup, 350z transmission swap, 350z differential swap,oil cooler/ filter relocation, and fuel surge tank. As stated above, I do all the design and fabrication around parts that are available, but can't weld or machine so bear with me on the downtime! I will update as I progress and will be sure to take plenty of pictures! Now let's get on with the build!

Turbo Setup:
PLM sidewinder divided T3 manifold and 3" downpipe
GTX3582R duall ball bearing turbo, .82 AR T3 open housing, 3" v-band outlet
Dual Tial 38mm wastegates
Custom dump tubes
Custom 2.5" IC piping, Ebay 32x12x3 intercooler, HKS BOV
4 bar MAP sensor
Custom 3" exhaust
AEM EMS v.2
Bosch 1600cc injectors from Five-O Motorsports
~4.5 liter fuel surge tank with internal Walbro 416 pump fed by Walbro 255 pump in main tank
GM ethanol content sensor
Stock fuel hardlines/ fuelrail/ fpr
Stock F20C with AP2 retainers/ keepers
Custom oil filter relocation and thermostatic cooler setup (filter relocation is not required with this manifold)

Transmission Setup:
06 CD009 6 speed (mating surface machined to account for adapter plate)
Mazworx Z33 to S2K adapter plate
Competition Clutches S2000 twin disc set with 350z friction discs (by machining the mating surface of the bell housing, I will be able to run the regular flywheel that comes with the clutch)
Hydraulic throwout bearing
Custom drive shaft
Custom or modified rear trans. mount
Modified shifter assembly

Differential Setup:
Stock Automatic 350Z (locking 3.357 gear)
Custom mounting brackets (similar to the InlinePro kit)
Hopefully stock axles will work (according to another thread from 2011-2012, the z diff. is little less than 1.5" wider than the stock diff. so that should be okay considering people install axle spacers after lowering their cars)
Custom VSS since the Z trans. doesn't have one

Fuel Surge Tank:
I wasn't too sure what this was or how it worked until I saw the Radium tank and then it became another challenge to build my own
I opted for simplicity so it just consists of welded sheet aluminum
Walbro 416 (E85) pump
6AN fittings
Approximately 4.5L volume with the pump installed

Oil Filter Relocation/ Cooler Setup:
Delete stock oil cooler plate
B16 thread fitting
Ebay filter relocation kit
10AN fittings and braided lines
Ebay oil thermostat distribution block (opens @ 180*)
Ebay oil cooler

As of today (Dec. 17, 2013), I have the turbo setup completed, waiting on the clutch from competition (30-60 days =[), need to get the bell housing machined but won't be doing that until I get the clutch for precise fitment, differential rear mounting brackets are complete but need to test fitment, fuel surge tank is ready to be welded up just waiting for the cannon plug, haven't ordered any parts for the oil cooler setup yet. These are just some of the pictures I have of the parts and where in the build I'm at, I realize it currently doesn't look like much but after the new years things will pick up. I hope everyone enjoys this thread as much as I will, feel free to post comments, questions, or suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread-turbo-build.jpg   Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread-turbo-build1.jpg   Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread-turbo-build2.jpg   Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread-turbo-build3.jpg   Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread-turbo-build4.jpg  

Old 12-17-2013, 10:20 PM

Love the set up! Awesome build! If you don't mind me asking what did your turbo set up run you minus the turbo?
Old 12-17-2013, 10:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking forward to seeing the progress. Thumbs up for doing something different for a trans, everyone goes with the v160. Nice to see some originality. Mazworx does good work.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by redboost10
Looking forward to seeing the progress. Thumbs up for doing something different for a trans, everyone goes with the v160. Nice to see some originality. Mazworx does good work.
X2 gl with build cant wait to see the outcome
Old 12-18-2013, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome build AE I was a AS and I remember a few of your guys coming down to help up when we use to build stuff good luck with the build man
Old 12-18-2013, 06:18 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Neat stuff on the whole making your own fuel surge tank thing. I was surprised to read that you're using a 255 in-tank with a 416 in the surge. I would have figured that you'd need the 416 in both locations?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by benes2k
Love the set up! Awesome build! If you don't mind me asking what did your turbo set up run you minus the turbo?
Thanks! Here's what I have for the price breakdown on the turbo setup:
PLM manifold/ downpipe set - 475
Intercooler piping, FMIC, and HKS BOV - 300
Walbro 416 pump - 120
1600cc Injectors - 500
Map sensor - 40
Ethanol sensor/ connector - 75
Tial wastegates - 450
Aem V.2 - 1000
3" custom exhaust - 250
Dump tubes - 75
Total: $3285 before the turbo

Thanks, I really wanted to do an affordable transmission swap.

Originally Posted by Phill24' timestamp='1387371103' post='22928283
X2 gl with build cant wait to see the outcome
Thanks Phil! I read through your build the other day and was very impressed, nice work!

Originally Posted by Jmays2k
awesome build AE I was a AS and I remember a few of your guys coming down to help up when we use to build stuff good luck with the build man
I was an AT lol, did more electronic stuff than wiring.

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
Neat stuff on the whole making your own fuel surge tank thing. I was surprised to read that you're using a 255 in-tank with a 416 in the surge. I would have figured that you'd need the 416 in both locations?
Thanks bro, I read in another build thread that guy was using a 255 to prime 2 044 bosch pumps.
On another note, here are some pix of some BBK brackets I made to fit '07 RL calipers and 350Z rotors on the S.
Attached Thumbnails Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread-feb13-176.jpg   Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread-feb13-177.jpg   Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread-feb13-343.jpg   Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread-feb13-342.jpg  
Old 12-18-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL AT AE I was close haha
Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, interesting build here...good luck. What numbers are you aiming for?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:57 AM

Nice!

Quick Reply: Kai's Mega DIY Build Thread