California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Next EOQ Malibu drive... Sunday April 12

Old 02-19-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Next EOQ Malibu drive... Sunday April 12

Just a heads up that the next EOQ Malibu Drive is set for Sunday April 12. Details to follow in this thread. 27 car sign up cap this time.

I'm beginning to think I have poorly named this recurring drive since we frequently find ourselves scheduling it for anything but End of Quarter. Lol!

We have three confirmed lead drivers committed so we can accommodate 27 cars signing up. We will split into three groups of maximum 10 cars each, and we will ask for at least one car in each group willing to be the tail drivers to keep an eye out for anyone getting lost. It's best if tail drives a bright colored car so the lead driver can easily spot you back there at stopping/turn points, but anyone willing to be the tail is good.

Please sign up and choose your preferred driving group. "EZ does it" is for those out for the first time on a group drive or those who just want to take it easier, enjoy the views, and not risk getting tickets. "Medium" is for those who have done several group drives before and who are completely comfortable at a brisk pace in the corners. "Balls-out" is fast, but sane; there is NO crossing double-yellow and no stupid risks; this is for people who know the Malibu roads well, have done a lot of group drives, are *very* comfortable with their car, and know the risks involved with law enforcement and radar. Speaking of which, we may see heightend law enforcement presence due to some recent negative activity in the area, so keep that in mind.

Sunday April 12, 2015
8:30am in Malibu
Sign-up closes on Saturday at noon. Details of location will be PMd to you Saturday afternoon. If you are coming in from out of town, please let me know in advance and I can advise options of places to stay as well as give a little more local info.

If you own a two-way radio (walkie-talkie), bring it. If you don't, consider getting one. They are really handy on a drive and you can get nice rechargeable ones for less than $50 from Radio Shack or Frys.

example sign up: <screenname or real name here> (car color & type) [preferred group: EZ does it, medium, balls-out]

0) RMurphy (Yellow S2000) EZ does it
0) Cargo (black Abarth) medium
0) Human668 (black CRZ) balls-out

1)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)

COPY AND PASTE THE ENTIRE LIST THEN ADD YOUR NAME.
Please don't flake. And please don't sign up as a maybe.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. ca_s2k
Old 02-19-2015, 12:19 PM

What's an EOQ Drive?
It's a non-denominational spirited drive in the canyons in Malibu that meets roughly every quarter on the last Sunday of the quarter. I say roughly because, well, we seem to reschedule it a lot. But that is so we can make sure we have enough lead drivers. Anyway, all cars are welcome, but we do ask that you sign up in advance and don't just show up. We try to make sure things are well-organized and that we don't end up with some cluster-f@Ck with no one knowing where to go next or what to expect and plan for. Below are some FAQs. And here's a link to part of the thread where some pics from one of our previous drives can be found.... https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/106...t__p__23077458

FAQ:
What should I bring?
It's always bring your own sunscreen, drinking water and a full tank of gas. If you have a passenger, make sure you have some Dramamine just in case your passenger is prone to motion sickness on winding roads! Got walkie-talkies? If you happen to have two-way radios (aka walkie-talkies) bring them along because we use those to keep larger groups together and in case of road hazzards.

Can I skip the driver's meeting?
DO NOT SKIP THE DRIVER'S MEETING IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME OUT. I can't stress this enough. The Safety Nazi speech is there to let you know how we run this thing, help keep you out of trouble, tell you the best ways to deal with the occasional problem that comes up, keep you from getting lost, and to address questions. Do NOT miss it or you could wind up doing something that messes this drive up for the rest of us.

Where do you drive, will we stop for food, will there be bathrooms, what should I expect?
We meet up, socialize for about 20 minutes while we wait for everyone to arrive, have a quickie driver's meeting (aka Safety Nazi speech), then drive some cool roads that lead us up to the top of The Snake. We pit there for pics of cool cars, possible Leno sighting, and scenic views, then head to lunch via some more twisties (usually the Pavilions shopping Center near Point Dume; there is a Subway sandwich shop there, a pizza place, pastries shop, or you can bring something light to eat with you). After lunch we do an extended drive from the vicinity of Encinal Canyon through the Santa Monica mountains and ending eventually at PCH in Malibu at the bottom of one of THE coolest little driving roads known to man (or woman). Drive can end anytime between 2pm and 4pm depending on traffic and whatnot. Make potty breaks at the meet up point and at lunch. There are NO restrooms at the Snake or elsewhere along the drive.

Can I keep up? Is my car up to this? Am I up to this?
This is a very spirited drive (not a cruise), but we keep it safe. This is NOT a track day. We are on public roads! No crossing the double yellow, be mindful we are sharing the roads with other cars, bicycles, motorcycles, joggers, and sometimes even the local wildlife, coming to complete and full stops at all stop signs and red lights, keeping top speed near the posted limit on the straightaways, and just generally not being stupid. Nobody wants to crash or get a ticket, but we do want to enjoy what the S2000 or any performance-minded car was designed to do best.

A word of caution: if you are habitually crossing the double yellow line or looking like you are struggling to keep it safe, someone in the group (probably the lead car driver or the organizer of the drive) will likely ask you to please adjust your driving (or your car) such that you stay within your lane during the drive. There are some risks not worth taking, and crossing double yellow, spinning out, or impacting stationary objects (or -- god help us -- other moving objects!) is NOT something we want to see on this drive.

What about Law Enforcement (LE)?
Yeah, they are out there. They are *always* out there. It's their job. Some months more than others and you just never know when. If you are running something that screams, "HEY I'm heavily modded and cops love to ticket me," then you might think twice about putting everyone else in this drive at risk by bringing your LE magnet out for the drive. Yes, tickets have been given to members of our group over the last several years we have been doing this drive. Generally speaking, the cops don't hassle us if we aren't doing anything stupid. But that's not always the case.

This may seem obvious, but the "organizers" of this drive assume NO responsibility for if people who go on this drive get tickets, crash, have a crappy time, get sunburned, don't like lunch, or experience a paper cut. Your car, your responsibility. We are happy to hand out free advice and tips on what to expect out there on the road, but each individual is responsible for his/her own vehicle and for keeping it safe and between the lines! We are not responsible if you screw up. We will, however, take all the credit for if you have a good time.

So if you are getting all sideways, endangering other motorists/cyclists or property, and generally driving like a douchebag, it's not our problem, BUT we will all hate you and some folks may not want to drive near you.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:22 PM

example sign up: <screenname or real name here> (car color & type) [preferred group: EZ does it, medium, balls-out]

1) CA_S2k (balls-out)
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
11)
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)
21)
22)
23)
24)
25)
26)
27)

COPY AND PASTE THE ENTIRE LIST THEN ADD YOUR NAME.
Please don't flake. And please don't sign up as a maybe.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Balls out.........
Old 02-19-2015, 01:22 PM

done.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) CA_S2k (balls-out)