UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Building a custom body kit - opinions please

Old 10-26-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a custom body kit - opinions please

Hi every one i have put this post on the international forum here but i haven't had much reply’s am planning on making a custom kit to fit my S2000 gt to make it look a bit more better sharper and something a bit more unique updated more aggressive but not to over don or nothing with to much Wight as its only stock php. some thing which can just go with the cars shape.

I was just going to buy a kit but there not much out there as a complete kit for the preface lift i seen a couple of lips on ebay but didn't really like them . I need to make a lip for the front bumper side skirts rear spats may be a spoiler.

am not really planning on changing the wheels or putting complete bumpers on it has to be kit for the preface lift models stock bumpers.
please all opinions and ideas pics welcome.

Am gona add every thing on here as i complete the kit so gona keep the post going.

Many thanks advance.

[attachment=86757:image1 (9).JPG]
Attached Thumbnails Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image1-9-.jpg  
Old 10-27-2015, 12:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fs section, flybikeslee front splitter side skirts and rear spats. Job done.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd say if you're leaving the standard wheels on any modified bumpers will just look odd.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:06 AM

^^^ I agree
Old 10-27-2015, 02:55 AM

I'm all for people trying new things, and fair play if you pull it off, but chances are this will just cost loads and look like a fast and furious reject
Old 10-27-2015, 12:27 PM

How exactly do you intend to make these bits that will attach to the existing panels? Sculpt in clay/foam then lay up moulds to recreate in fibreglass?

This is going to require some well thought out design work prior to manufacturing anything to help you avoid this looking like the crap that used to litter the adverts of the late max power magazine!
Old 10-27-2015, 05:25 PM

Many thanks guys I really appreciate all the feedback .

I have looked at the bottom blade that flybikeslee does but that’s moreuniversal type and am looking to go with a bit of shape as well to go with thebumper and the rest of the body. A lot of the lips he’s doing a are really nicebut more for the face lift bumper.

I have got 9j rims whichare mostly used on the tracks. But am trying to create a more genuine look withthe stock wheels but as you guys are saying they might not go well with what I puton the car. What if I create the front lip to go with the wheels and may begive them a different colour as well?

And rich I was disheartenedbecause I didn’t get much respond on the first post but all you guys have madereally good points and have already given me loads to work with so shouldn’t bea problem pulling it off.

And lol guys please amnot the type to use pritt-stick I have been around fiber glass andmanufacturing for last 27 years. I got loads of fiber glass kits around theworkshop that I manufacture for a few racing companies will start with whatgoes with the car and start cutting it modifying it and then molded of.

I started on the lip today.Here is a bit of update. Some pics.

[attachment=86801:image1 (11).JPG] [attachment=86802:image3 (2).JPG] [attachment=86803:image7 (2).JPG]

[attachment=86804:image4 (2).JPG] [attachment=86805:image5 (2).JPG] [attachment=86806:image6 (2).JPG]

I used a rally lip from one of the race cars i put it on and cut the corners of it was still looking a bit to round towards the wheel arches so used the corners i cut the other way around from left to right it goes with the wheels and it wont smash of the curv when parking close. which one looks better the white tape and the plastic to clamps are holding the 5 pieces together.

Attached Thumbnails Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image1-11-.jpg   Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image3-2-.jpg   Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image7-2-.jpg   Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image4-2-.jpg   Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image5-2-.jpg  

Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image6-2-.jpg  
Old 10-29-2015, 04:28 PM

more update joined the 5 the spoiler pieces and started body work.

[attachment=86931:image8 (1).JPG] [attachment=86932:image2 (5).JPG]
Attached Thumbnails Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image8-1-.jpg   Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image2-5-.jpg  
Old 10-30-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably just me but splitters so high up just look odd. Have you got plans to lower the car?

Sounds like you have plenty of experience and know what you're doing (guys reading this may start to take it more seriously) but for me, following the line of the bumper works better.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by kw_21
It's probably just me but splitters so high up just look odd. Have you got plans to lower the car?

Sounds like you have plenty of experience and know what you're doing (guys reading this may start to take it more seriously) but for me, following the line of the bumper works better.
Thanks for the reply fella much appreciated this is what the forum is all about get more brains better ideas from enthusiast and put your heart in to getting things don better and right.

The cars on the jack from the other side thats why it looks high up it is pretty low.

I have gone according to the bumper line that's why i had to cut the lip in 5 different places this was a bit of a challenge because of the shape of the bumper after the centre of the grill going back to the corners of the wheel arch its a big angle the bumper falls back.

so i have lined it with the bumper line from the wheel arch up to the grill then put about half inch drop in the centre of the lip following the grill corners down.
hope fully see the details once i mould it and paint it.

here is some pics you should see a bit better detail of the lines and shapes according to the bumper and what i don in the centre. and on the corners it blends back in to the bumper so it dosent get hit on the curb when parking.

It primed and nibbed down with find paper and water ready to mould of tomorrow.

I all so painted the wheels panther black and the callipers red as well.

[attachment=86971:image5 (3).JPG] [attachment=86972:s2....JPG] [attachment=86973:image5 (5).JPG]

[attachment=86974:image5 (4).JPG] [attachment=86975:image5 (6).JPG]
Attached Thumbnails Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image5-3-.jpg   Building a custom body kit - opinions please-s2....jpg   Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image5-5-.jpg   Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image5-4-.jpg   Building a custom body kit - opinions please-image5-6-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Building a custom body kit - opinions please