UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Letter to Honda UK regarding suspension problems

Old 01-26-2006, 05:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Letter to Honda UK regarding suspension problems

Here is a draft I prepared this afternoon. I intend to send it to one of the senior contacts to whom some were introduced at the Institute visit last week. I am just waiting for Budgie to give me the details.

I have gone for a conciliatory opening (thanks for the visit etc.) rather than getting straight to the point. I know the Club would like to nurture links with Honda UK and the Institute visit marked the start of that process. Naturally we don't want to sour things straightaway by getting too uppity, but equally Honda must realise that the concerns regarding suspension problems are genuine and mounting.

************************************ DRAFT READS **************************

[I]I am writing to you following the Club's successful visit to your Institute on 20/1/06, firstly to thank you for your hospitality, and secondly to raise a technical matter that is concerning many of our members at the moment.

The visit appears to have been hugely enjoyed by all those that attended - sadly I couldn't manage the trip down from Scotland myself - and judging by the comments on our internet forum, all have become even more committed Honda owners, if that were possible. The tour, presentations, and in particular the explanation of how VTEC works. were all appreciated. Thank you once again for a well organised and well received day.

The technical matter I wish to raise concerns the replacement of worn suspension bushes, something that owners are now encountering as their cars age. The problem centres around that fact that replacement bushes are not sold separately as they are integral to the wishbones. For example, one member's car has just failed its MOT due to worn front bushes and he has been quoted over
Old 01-26-2006, 06:02 AM

Picking up on StevenM's post in one of the other threads, I think I need to also point out that irrespective of bush wear, the corrosion problem can itself lead to new wishbones having to be fitted.
Old 01-26-2006, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good to me
Old 01-26-2006, 06:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]However, in the case of the S2000, the same problem at all four corners might easily result in a bill for over
Old 01-26-2006, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look very slick to me, non confrontational and well structured.

Only thing I can think of that could help Honda to help us is offer contact details any older (or newer cars) to enable them to inspect cars of various ages and mileages to see how they are wearing. This would help them to understand the scale of the problem. I'm sure any genuine enthusiast would be willing to help.

I imagine the key decision makers here will be the beancounters doing a risk assessment. The more data we can give them the better able they will be to make a decision.

Good job!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:15 AM

[QUOTE=StevenM,Jan 26 2006, 03:07 PM] Could be over
Old 01-26-2006, 06:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiskine,Jan 26 2006, 03:15 PM
Do you want a commission on that pic ...
I would accept a free set of bushes plus fitting from Honda
Old 01-26-2006, 06:24 AM

I'm heading out for the next few hours, so will react to your feedback when I return ...
Old 01-26-2006, 07:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally content seems reasonable. Particularly like the non confrontational approach and complement at the start (if I'm typical of my company then I take pride in the product and when people start insulting the product it can be natural to get defensive). Essentially the cars affected are outside of warranty so for any action it is reliant on a Good Will Gesture from Honda.

Changes I would suggest:
1. Try and bullet point it as much as possible whilst keeping the tone of the letter. It'll be read once or twice by people at Honda and then used for reference so it'll be much easier to find the point.

2. Clearly seperate the two items. Header and underline the so it's nice and clear and people aren't having to search the whole letter for relevance to one particular point.

3. I'd drop the reference to TVR specifically and change it to a bulleted point of a seperate bush costing
Old 01-26-2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by fluffyninja,Jan 26 2006, 04:55 PM
1. Try and bullet point it as much as possible

2. Clearly seperate the two items.

3. I'd drop the reference to TVR specifically

4. I personally would include one or two examples of occurences including service history, VIN numbers, age of car, when found, how found
It's such a short letter, I'm not sure bullet-pointing will improve clarity that much. It's hardly a nightmare for the reader to navigate. However, I will improve the distinction between the different items discussed ...

I'll replace the reference to TVR with "my last sports car". I wanted to convey that I had experience of another marque and to indicate that I had "defected" from TVR to Honda (gently implying that if they don't play ball I can easily defect again).

I may well cite Bada's and StevenM's VINs as two cases (stating I have more) and that will give them something to be getting on with. However, the fact is that this is a problem about which far more people are worrying than have actually experienced it. Our case file is not as large as you might imagine ...

Quick Reply: Letter to Honda UK regarding suspension problems