S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

nrg etd with puddy mount review

Old 03-09-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nrg etd with puddy mount review

i bought the nrg damper because it has the ability to change its damper setting. either with soft or hard inserts. not only that, because for the same thing... i didnt want to shell out an extra 150-200 just for j's brand name or spoons.

for those who dont believe in etd, you have to try it out!

i bought two etd, one for myself and another for my friend. we installed it in my friends car, and we both noticed a big improvement in shifting feel. but its not my car... it prob shift like that before...

so i took the time to install my kit; after receiving the puddy mount.

i have to say that the puddy mount is one beefy piece of bracket. i play with r/c monster trucks, and the 0.187 inch thick of t6 alum is so much thicker then the 3mm frame that my monster truck uses... and my truck takes a lot of beating!

welds are very nice and very clean, only problem i have with the kit... is that the holes are 1-2mm off. i had to dremel it.

installation was a bi*ch... i prob cut myself in the process 5-6 times... but otherwise install looks very oem.

i prob removed each bolt 5-7 times perhaps more... just trying to get it to fit right.

the hole template was also off by 1/4 inch. but it clears. im too lazy to take everything off and re-cut the hole.. my back is sore from leaning over and workin on the car... i had to call it a day after workin from 6-11pm (with home depot breaks of course)

when installation was complete... i have to say.. the mod was well worth the time and cash.

i use to get 4th to 5th gear shift clunks... but not its smooth as butta.

1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th... everything is smoother... less clunking...

i read up on most of the post... regarding etd... skeptics.... etc... and i was a skeptic myself as well... but i came across a good deal on the etd... so i jumped on it... and its def. worth it!

Old 03-09-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the write up! Without the Depot runs, how long did the install take?
Old 03-09-2007, 10:24 AM

i don't see any pics...?!
Old 03-09-2007, 10:31 AM

hm... i would say... 3 hrs. because i had trouble removing the heat shield... but once i got the hang of it... its pretty easy....

and also isntalling the mount... it was a pain in the ass... it would be easier if you had smaller hands...

good thing i had the right set of tools that my gf bought me... lol

i had a 2 hrs dinner. and couple runs to home depot... for drill bit, hole saw, washers... etc...

try again... i see the pics...
Old 03-09-2007, 10:34 AM

must be the darn gov computer filters lol.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank you for your review, it helped me with many modifications that I have made to my kit

I would like to start by saying that I can pull a motor in 3 hours.

This is not a three hour job, to install three bolts and two nuts.
A PuddyMod bracket, with the right tools, should take no longer than 30 minutes, tops to install.
I give 4 pages of instructions and a template to install the mount. There is also a picture of an installed mount to make reference to.
Like most men, I look at the pic on the instruction and toss them (LOL) but, even if you do that, it should not have been this bad.

Holes being off center or not lining up
This I take blame for, I underestimated the variance between cars and model years. I made the holes in the mount just large enough for the bolt to pass through. I should have made them a little larger to compensate for difference between one car and another.
I have had only a few that did not line up and I took care of it by exchange or by refitting the return.
Below are pics of the returned mounts in my car. You will see that they all line up perfectly.

To be safe, on all new orders, I am drilling one hole larger to allow more room for lining the bolts up.

There is one bolt (the one closest to the fender) that is a S.O.B. to get to. You will have to use a long handle wrench to get to it.
If you have someone you know with small hands, recruit there service for this bolt, it will make the job that much easer.

[COLOR=blue]The template hole is off by a
Old 09-05-2008, 07:14 AM
S2X
Former Sponsor

To purchase Puddymod Bracket check out my specials here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=436701
Old 03-10-2011, 07:04 PM

Are the two tabs where this bracket mounts strong enough to deal with the wrenching of the engine? I have just started to look into ETD's and i really think i am going to go with this set up, i just need some extra encouragment haha.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 PM

I have this exact setup, NRG ETD w/ PuddyMod, will install next week, but everything looks great so far!
Old 03-29-2014, 06:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hey i wanted to know what bolt did you use to connect the bracket to the engine?

my NRG kit only came with 2 bolts, and they are the ones that hold the damper to the brackets.

Quick Reply: nrg etd with puddy mount review