S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Coolant Bleeding Procedure?

Old 05-12-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant Bleeding Procedure?

Hello all as you may know I have had my S apart for a couple months prepping for going FI. Well part of my upgrades was a customized intake manifold/hondata img/koyo radiator/flexalite fans/mugen fan switch/mugen thermostat... this being said I definately got air into my cooling system during the install process and I can't seem to get it to bleed out. I cannot open the bleed valve on the front of the valve cover by the TB because coolant no longer flows through there as the hondata IMG blocks off that port altogether... I have tried to run it and heat cycle it warm and then let it cool to try and bleed the cooling system but the heater still blows cool air and the bottom radiator hose never gets warm. the top hose gets hot however so I think air pockets are keeping my thermostat from circulating the coolant? I am confised however and would like to hear your ideas for getting this system bled and operating correctly... I have searched and searched and found no solution so I figure posting may have better success...

Thanks

Here is a pic of my work so far...

Old 05-12-2007, 08:07 PM

no ideas?
Old 05-12-2007, 09:26 PM

Received 1,265 Likes on 772 Posts

Engine cold:

To start....suck on the rear pipe bleeder on the firewall (rubber cap) with a turkey baster till you get coolant. Once you get coolant to the tip, cap it off quick with the oem cap.

Make sure the rad is full.

Heat on high.

Start the engine, and hold it at 2500 till you hit 3 bars on the temp gauge. Shut it off and let it cool, you'll be able to top it off again.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:04 AM

Ok used the suction ball to pull coolant out the firewall bleed point... ran the car at 2500 till I got three bars... the heat was working great and I am thinking we got rid of the air in the system... one concern however is the fans never kicked on AND the lower rad hose was not warm... any need for this to concern me? I just shut it down so I will go out in awhile and hopefully need to add... just an update. Any ideas on the lower rad hose not getting warm? I replaced the thermostat with the mugen model so it should be working just fine...
Old 05-13-2007, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a similar problem with my S2000. The heater is not blowing hot air. I have one of those special radiator "cup" devices which screws on top of the radiator. Once screwed on, you add coolant until the radiator is topped off. Then, you start the car and let it run until the fan comes on. When the fan comes on the coolant in this "cup" starts draining into the coolant system and you can see bubbles come up. You are supposed to do this until no bubbles appear. I did this yesterday for about 15 minutes and bubbles were still coming up. Either I have some serious air pockets in my coolant system, or there is an air leak somewhere.

Anyways, just wanted to share that I am having a similiar issue.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by SPECIAL-OPS-S2K,May 13 2007, 08:04 AM
Ok used the suction ball to pull coolant out the firewall bleed point... ran the car at 2500 till I got three bars... the heat was working great and I am thinking we got rid of the air in the system... one concern however is the fans never kicked on AND the lower rad hose was not warm... any need for this to concern me? I just shut it down so I will go out in awhile and hopefully need to add... just an update. Any ideas on the lower rad hose not getting warm? I replaced the thermostat with the mugen model so it should be working just fine...
I think there is still an air pocket in your coolant system. The lower radiator hose should be warm once the thermostat has started opening. Since the lower hose is cold, I believe an air pocket is preventing the thermostat from operating properly.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,May 13 2007, 07:41 AM
I think there is still an air pocket in your coolant system. The lower radiator hose should be warm once the thermostat has started opening. Since the lower hose is cold, I believe an air pocket is preventing the thermostat from operating properly.
I agree... this is my concern as well... how do I get this air pocket out? I just ran the car again 2000-3000rpm until I got 3 bars on the temp gauge... shot the upper and lower radiator hose with my temp gun and the readings were about 60 degrees apart...

UPPER RAD HOSE: 142 Degrees F

LOWER RAD HOSE: 88 Degrees F

AMBIENT TEMP: 81 Degrees F

Something is causing an air pocket in my cooling system... the car is on jack stands and the back end is lower than the front (I'd say about 6in or so) and I am thinking of lowering the front and raising the back to maybe allow the air to move up into the hose by the firewall so I can bleed it out there? Any other suggestions or ideas? Would my plan even work?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by SPECIAL-OPS-S2K,May 13 2007, 09:19 AM
I agree... this is my concern as well... how do I get this air pocket out? I just ran the car again 2000-3000rpm until I got 3 bars on the temp gauge... shot the upper and lower radiator hose with my temp gun and the readings were about 60 degrees apart...

UPPER RAD HOSE: 142 Degrees F

LOWER RAD HOSE: 88 Degrees F

AMBIENT TEMP: 81 Degrees F

Something is causing an air pocket in my cooling system... the car is on jack stands and the back end is lower than the front (I'd say about 6in or so) and I am thinking of lowering the front and raising the back to maybe allow the air to move up into the hose by the firewall so I can bleed it out there? Any other suggestions or ideas? Would my plan even work?

Thanks
Unfortunately I am still learning on how to work on cars myself. I think that Bill could provide more authoritative answers. The special "cup" that I mentioned above was purchased from a tech at a local Honda dealership. He told me they use it to bleed the coolant system. He told me to keep running the car until no more air bubbles appear in this cup. This cup is very handy--I'll have to take a pic later today.

My lower radiator hose is warm (just like the upper), so I am not having the exact same issue as you. However, my heater is still blowing cool air. My problem could be: air pocket, blown heater fuse, bad heater relay, or something else. I've had some much work done in my engine bay, to include moving the two heater hoses next to the firewall. They could be pinched, and therefore causing my problems.

I am more concerned about the thermostat and fans working properly, and both seem to be doing so. I simply need to have the heater issue troubleshooted.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:47 AM

yeah if you can take a picture of that cup... is it a honda tool? if so is there a P/N? Did you try bleeding the air out of your firewall bleed valve with a suction ball? I did this and it at least fixed my heat problem now all I have to do is get rid of the air making my thermostat fail to open... keep me posted if you try the suction ball it may just work for you!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by SPECIAL-OPS-S2K,May 13 2007, 09:47 AM
yeah if you can take a picture of that cup... is it a honda tool? if so is there a P/N? Did you try bleeding the air out of your firewall bleed valve with a suction ball? I did this and it at least fixed my heat problem now all I have to do is get rid of the air making my thermostat fail to open... keep me posted if you try the suction ball it may just work for you!
No, it isn't a Honda tool. The Snap-on tool truck sells it. If you know any of the mechanics at a local Honda dealership, they could get one for you. I will take a pic today and post it in this thread.

No, I haven't tried that suction ball deal. I'll have to try that though.

Quick Reply: Coolant Bleeding Procedure?