UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Ask me another question about detailing

Old 06-27-2008, 11:07 AM
Xd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ask me another question about detailing

Okay, so what do you want to know, don't mind anything, as long as its loosly based around cleaning and polishing cars.

Unfortunately this old baby will have to be retired as there is nearly 1000 entries in there;

The one and only

But it starts a little like this;

The full Monty;
Washing the car;
Washing the car is the most likely point where you will cause swirls so you need to take a few simple steps to minimize these. Hose the car down first to remove the majority of the dirt. Then, by using two buckets of water (one filled with hot water and the other with soapy water), start from the top, where it is cleanest and wipe in one straight direction from back to front. Each time you do so, rinses the mitt in the fresh water and repeat again in the soapy water. It is better to use a wash mitt rather than a sponge because it will capture any grit within its pelt, rather than wiping over the paintwork. When you get near to the bottom of the car be more vigilant about rinsing the mitt in fresh water, as this is the most likely spot any grit may remain.
Now you need to clean the wheels; start by spraying the wheels with a wheel cleaner, then using a spoke cleaner work the product in between the spokes. Rinse this off thoroughly using a wash mitt and some fresh water. This is the grubbiest part of the car so you may want to keep a wash mitt specifically for doing this.

Lee
Old 06-27-2008, 11:12 AM

sensei
Old 06-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Xd

Oh my, why thank you sir
Old 06-27-2008, 11:52 AM

TM what's your opinion of SSR2.5? I've just bought some as it was recommended (normally I use Menz and Megs) but TBH I find it dries far too quickly clogging pads and reducing work time. Using QD mid way through seems to create even more problems (residues on the pad turn to mud). What brand are you currently favouring polish wise? Have you tried 3M?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 AM

Great thread, very useful, however I have a question. How about cleaning the Glass? Any tips for that see through clarity? Get so much greasy stuff on the inside aswell. (And yes I have cghanged the pollen filter - that was amazing dirty after 22k miles.)
Old 06-27-2008, 12:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't you think it is a bit gay to spend so much time rubbing your car?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM
Xd

s200k I use 2.5 quite a lot, the beuty of it is that it breaks down quickly. Clogging up is happening if you are applying too much of the stuff. Drying out I find rarely a problem.

Couple of useful tips in prepping a pad and keeping it going. Whenever you have a fresh pad give it a couple of sprits with QD or water and knead it with your hands to work it in. First time you apply and compound, the pad will suck it up so make a cross across the pad first go and then rub the pad over the car over around 18 inches square. now take it to number one and work it all in a little more and slowy work your way up to 4 where you will keep going until all goes clear. Bring it down to two and then stop. Now get a soft short brissle brush and dust over the pad. Next time two skittle sizes of compound should be all you need, work it in and dust it off. When the pad is fully prepped it should feel slightly damp and no clogged up pores at all, if they are clogged brush the pad with the short bristle brush. Get this right and the pad should be good for half a car before it start to lose its cutting effect.

Main compounds I use are Meg DACP, Menzurna intensive polish and all finished off with poorboys SSR2 or 1 depending.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Xd

Nnervo, I use Zaino glass polish on the outside glass to get rid of glare, inside I use deionized water, if there is any grease then a small amount of distilled vinegar in the water to cut through it.

Steven, yup, totally agree that why you need to get someone like me to polish your car so you can keep your manhood
Old 06-27-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

To be honest, I always thought that paying someone a couple of hundread quid to clean my car was a waste of money.
BUT after reading your thread, I could honestly say I would. You certainly know your stuff Shame your so far away.

Plus I can't be arsed to do all that myself, A wash and a wax is enough cleaning for me
Old 06-27-2008, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tango Man,Jun 27 2008, 09:11 PM
s200k I use 2.5 quite a lot, the beuty of it is that it breaks down quickly. Clogging up is happening if you are applying too much of the stuff. Drying out I find rarely a problem.

Couple of useful tips in prepping a pad and keeping it going. Whenever you have a fresh pad give it a couple of sprits with QD or water and knead it with your hands to work it in. First time you apply and compound, the pad will suck it up so make a cross across the pad first go and then rub the pad over the car over around 18 inches square. now take it to number one and work it all in a little more and slowy work your way up to 4 where you will keep going until all goes clear. Bring it down to two and then stop. Now get a soft short brissle brush and dust over the pad. Next time two skittle sizes of compound should be all you need, work it in and dust it off. When the pad is fully prepped it should feel slightly damp and no clogged up pores at all, if they are clogged brush the pad with the short bristle brush. Get this right and the pad should be good for half a car before it start to lose its cutting effect.

Main compounds I use are Meg DACP, Menzurna intensive polish and all finished off with poorboys SSR2 or 1 depending.
I'm pretty well versed in prepping and maintaining pads but the clogging seems to be happening in the two areas where the product has been applied - it just seems to dry out far too quickly! The Megs and Menz (#83, #80, IP3.02 and P085) just seem that much more oily and IMO finish down better than the SSR although the Menz suffers similar clogging problems in humid cold conditions as it uses wax as a lubricant. I'm wondering if the PB suffered a siilar fate on me as the weather was quite humid when I tried it. I'll give it another go to see if I can get by with it because it does seem quite an efficient compound

Quick Reply: Ask me another question about detailing