S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Challenge OEM Style Carbon Fiber hard top w/ lexan

Old 01-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Challenge OEM Style Carbon Fiber hard top w/ lexan

Interest in an OEM Carbon Fiber hard top?

Ive been wanting to do this project for years, and finally have a facility i trust that can do it, and well. Top would be made in the USA by our facility that makes many roof panels, body parts, GT wings etc that works with many Indy car and Speed World Challenge race teams also.

We would use a full carbon constuction with a core material on the flat section for strength. the interior ceiling would be lined with carbon kevlar for roll over protection. It sheilds the CF from splintering all over. All oem seals would be used and supplied with the roof. OEM latches/catchers would not be supplied, but we could offer it with a fixed bracket mounting system. A US made lexan rear window would be included if we did this as well. We would use vacuum infusion to make this part. Quality level would be close to like an authentic Mugen roof IMO. Let me know what you guys think, and what you may expect to pay for such an item. If anyone is really on board, also please make it known here. I know for SURE it will cost around 4k, just FYI

This should be one of the lightest, if not THE LIGHEST carbon roof for the s2000.

Challenge - Carbon roof for S2000

- 100% Vacuum Infused Carbon Composite construction inside and out, all layers
Kevlar composite added for roll over protection from CF splitering
-100% Made in the USA. Designed at our facility and produced and a facility that regularly supplies parts and components to top Indy car and Speed World challenge race teams.
- OEM window seals and trim metal included for side windows.
- Lightweight formed scratch resistant Lexan OEM size window for maximum weight savings and visibility.
- Lightweight hard top mount kit for bolt-down attachment.
- Side molding shaved for a clean look and better aero.
- Compatible with OEM latched and catchers ( not supplied)
- Compatible with OEM glass rear window if desired (not supplied)
- Compatible with OEM interior plastic if desired (not supplied)
- Estimated finished weight to be only 25-30 lbs!
- Lexan can be subtracted if owner would like to buy oem rear glass.
- Customer can specify 1x1 or 2x2 weave finish at no extra cost or wait time.

INTRO MSRP: $3995.00

Customers can specify 1x1 or 2x2 weave finish at no extra cost or wait time, as the tops would be made per order here domestically.

Here are a few photos we did this week and just finished editing for our website - www.challenge-usa.com

more soon.....

1x1 Carbon roof - pre window installation

Optional Time Attack spec 4x4 V-weave with lexan window installed

PROJECT IN PROGRESS!

Mold pics.

Parts being layed up now

Here is a quick shot of the first test lexan window

Inner frame midway through trimming

Outter carbon skin is layed dry and ready for resin infusion

Here are a few snaps of a recent pre production Challenge M3 sedan trunk we are producing:

Old 01-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3k is really too much in this poor economy. i dont know manufacturer location is important or not. seibon is made in china. their fitment/quality is improving these days. their dry carbon hood/trunk goes under 2k. you dont use much more material on a hardtop, do you? if you make it 3k+, 1.5k-2k copy will be released soon.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jemje2006,Jan 19 2010, 02:55 PM
3k is really too much in this poor economy. i dont know manufacturer location is important or not. seibon is made in china. their fitment/quality is improving these days. their dry carbon hood/trunk goes under 2k. you dont use much more material on a hardtop, do you? if you make it 3k+, 1.5k-2k copy will be released soon.
we are already molding off and OEM roof, soooo not much for someone else to copy from us. Seibons quality is not even close to comparable on the stuff we put out to be bluntly honest. We use ALL carbon, not a pretty outside layer only and all fiberlgass everywhere. Also, most of their parts are wet lay up.

The carbon content is way higher on a roof of this nature, there is about 3 layers on the outside, plus core and Kevlar, the skeleton is usually about 3 layers too. Its a sem-structural part as well, so it has to be reinfoced well.

the ONLY CF roofs out ther around 2500 even in CF are replica products, and made in carbon and FRP from what ive found.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned

you dont know what i am talking about. believe or not, the seibon's wet CF HT can be sold for only 1000.

however, do whatever you want. not my business.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think its be dope! i mean if the quality is there like a OEM, then OEM price is fair. My brokeass will prob never have a hardtop cause theyre so damn expensive. lol
Old 01-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@jemje2006: LOL...

This seems like a great idea, should be extremely lightweight. The rear window on the Mugen always looked a bit unprofessional to me, hopefully you guys could make yours look close to what the OEM window looks like in quality.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Banned

a retard always lol when he doesn't know shit.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jemje2006,Jan 19 2010, 03:15 PM
you dont know what i am talking about. believe or not, the seibon's wet CF HT can be sold for only 1000.

however, do whatever you want. not my business.
If you know where seibon is selling 1k wet carbon roofs, PM me a link. Never seen anything like that
Either way, its not apples to apples at all in my opinion, or anyone that has alot of experience in race engineered composites. no need to call people names. calm down a bit
Old 01-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Swift GT,Jan 19 2010, 03:20 PM
@jemje2006: LOL...

This seems like a great idea, should be extremely lightweight. The rear window on the Mugen always looked a bit unprofessional to me, hopefully you guys could make yours look close to what the OEM window looks like in quality.
It would be directly molded from the OEM glass, made by one of the top suppliers of race windows. Quality should be spot on.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Motoring,Jan 19 2010, 03:30 PM
If you know where seibon is selling 1k wet carbon roofs, PM me a link. Never seen anything like that
Either way, its not apples to apples at all in my opinion, or anyone that has alot of experience in race engineered composites. no need to call people names. calm down a bit
ive seen them on ebay.. with NO hardware and NO glass. Get all of that and you have a knock off for 2500ish. I would much rather spend a little more and get one that fits and isnt cheap.

I already have an oem hardtop but assuming this gets done i would consider purchasing a cf one. I could sell mine for 2k and spend 1k difference for cf

cant wait to see the results

Quick Reply: Challenge OEM Style Carbon Fiber hard top w/ lexan