S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Oil Guide/Refrence

Old 10-05-2010, 07:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Guide/Refrence

Ok gentleman I have looked and I didnt see any thread that detailed oil and recommended etc. I have been researching myself looking for the specifications of what oil to use with my greddy kit but also safe for my car. I have seen some oils not good for bearing tolerances and other oils not good for JB turbos and so forth. I was thinking not necessarily me but if someone could maybe make a stickied thread to where we could have a guide. For instance, what kit works with what oil and is safe for the car. I chose 15w-50 for my car as the Greedy thread states thats good. I dont drive my car much but when I do i drive it hard and I track it. Therefore thats why people tend to recommend the oil that I am using. So with that being said I would like information that could be recommended for the everyday application, track applications, and so forth. That way people could collective see what they would benefit from and go from there. Just food for thought as I know this website has always been a cluster of useful information why not try to compile it.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:53 AM

As much as this questions gets asked I thought more people would have responded... Guess I was wrong there
Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icemans2k02,Oct 6 2010, 05:53 AM
As much as this questions gets asked I thought more people would have responded... Guess I was wrong there
There was a pretty big thread on this not to long ago.

You didn't look to hard did you.

Just the other day I was looking for something and I went back *gasp* 13 pages until I found it.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 AM

I would love to find the thread. Again that why I requested it to be stickied. I have been doing research on this for a while and there are so many conflicted threads. Hence why i wanted it all the information under one thread. Everytime I troll through the FI thread there is "this oil is the best" "Mobile 1 is bad" "15w-50 is to thick for bearing tolerance" nothing established....
Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 AM

i.e.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry16688942
The first page is a different oil every time

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry15015689

same here. Everyone has a difference of opinion but no one states. "WHY" this oil. I know climate, application, etc has factors but just like the DIY thread where they have stickies posted why cant there be compiled info like this?
Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by icemans2k02,Oct 6 2010, 10:26 AM
i.e.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry16688942
The first page is a different oil every time

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry15015689

same here. Everyone has a difference of opinion but no one states. "WHY" this oil. I know climate, application, etc has factors but just like the DIY thread where they have stickies posted why cant there be compiled info like this?
I defiantly answered the "Why" in many different threads.

Short synapse:

XXw - 40 due to higher oil temps with a turbo

No Energy Conserving label so that the ZDDP levels are higher

As for Synthetic vs Standard, I change my oil more frequently and don’t worry about spending the extra on synthetic for everyday driving. If you were going to be racing Synthetic will offer a greater resistance to heat.

High Mileage Oil = Extra Seal Conditioner and Detergents

In addition Royal Purple is not recommended

According to others Amsoil has been removing some of the ZDDP from their oils (I have not verified)

Personally I prefer Mobile 0w-40 Synthetic (Good for Winter and Summer) or standard 10w-40 but brand does not make much difference if you follow the above guide.

At the end of the day most of us are going to lose the motor to a dropped valve, detonation, hydro lock or head gasket failure so it does not matter much. The only concern that has ever been addressed is the thrust bearing when using a heavy pressure plate and TCT where the ZDDP level will make a difference.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 AM

FWIW, here's how I decided:

The Greddy kit required synthetic and gave a range of acceptable weights. I thought about it for a while and chose 5w-40 since I never track my car and don't usually drive it hard.

Mobil 1 5w-40 was unexpectedly hard to find at the time, so that lowered it in my personal ranking. (I didn't want to go to great lengths to begin using an oil that might become unavailable later.)

5w-40 synthetic wasn't stocked in any of the local stores in my area. (Meaning no brand got the nod due to easy availability.)

In the Greddy threads, Chris mentioned that Royal Purple seemed to have a high rate of turbo failures (among Greddy turbo owners). That ruled Royal Purple out immediately.

Looking at it from another angle, there seemed to be concerns raised on the internet about several of the major brands of synthetic oil. Of course, I have no idea if those are true or not, but nevertheless it's a data point. That helped narrow down the list of choices.

I didn't really notice any internet concerns re: Redline. I've always wanted to find a way to justify having Redline oil, and now I could do so. (Despite it being so expensive.) Thus I'm using Redline 5w-40 and am quite happy.

Scientific? Heck no. Worked for me? Heck yeah.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:10 AM

I chose Amsoil 10W-40 to run with my base SOS SC; was using their SSO 0W-30 when N/A. I will have a Blackstone Oil Analysis done on it when I change the oil next. I rarely drive the S2000, so I'll just change it in a year (next August) and see what the report says.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:11 AM

Awesome. Thanks Gentlemen. I am printing this out for my reference. Both of your responses are greatly appreciated
Old 10-06-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by icemans2k02,Oct 6 2010, 11:11 AM
Awesome. Thanks Gentlemen. I am printing this out for my reference. Both of your responses are greatly appreciated
You oil choice depends on what you plan to do w/the car, AND your motor build. Stock motor bearing clearances are ALOT tighter usually than a built motor, this will factor into your decision as well as climate and don't forget fuel type.

20 50 in a cold climate would burn a bearing on a stock motor for example.

Quick Reply: Oil Guide/Refrence