S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

P0720 with Kpro on a MY2006

Old 10-06-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0720 with Kpro on a MY2006

So, I have been seeing the check engine light lately and need to get this solved. Car is a 2006 with Kpro by Hondata tuned on e85. The car is Supercharged and runs great.

I had the car tuned a week ago tuesday and it seems that I have been coding more since the tune. I have seen this code once before though I believe.

In the parameters screen on Kpro, Mase had set the speed correction factor to 15%. I had wondered shy this was so I tried setting it back to 0% and uploaded the map. Went and drove the car and it recoded the P0720 so I returned it to 15%. I figured out why he had set it there, there gear display was incorrect after I set it.

So the testing I have done so far is by the Honda ETM manual.

1. I disconnected the plug at the transmission and checked the voltage from pin 1 and body ground. saw right at 5 volts

2. Tested pin 2 against body ground and saw right at 5 volts.

3. Measured voltage between pin 1 and pin 3, saw right at 5 volts.

4. Measured voltage between ecm plug pin a - 18 and body ground and saw right at 5V.

Thats as far as I got as the next step requires using the Honda Diag Computer which I dont have at home. I may drag the car to work and check it but Im thinking that were good. I did also try a known good sensor off another car and the code returns.

Before I call Hondata Tech I thought Id post on the board and see what I come up with. I suppose it could be in the harness between the factory connector and the rsx ecu, but have not checked that either. I was hoping there was something that someone has seen before.

Thanks!!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guy on 8civic.com had same problem w his flashpro and said it was due to update problem? Don't know if that helps, but hopefully its something easy
Old 10-07-2010, 07:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What is the description for PO720?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:08 AM

DTC P0720: Output Shaft (Countershaft) Speed Sensor Circuit Malfunction

Old 10-07-2010, 10:12 AM

according to my my honda tech site at work the next step is replace sensor, re-learn ecu and check for code. if code returns "Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the output shaft (countershaft) speed sensor and the ECM, then go to step 1."
Old 10-08-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My speedo correction number is also 15%
Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Boofster, thank you for that info. Heres where Im at. I talked with Hondata and they reassured what I have seen as well. The adapter harness for connector A goes straight through from the plug in, to the Factory ECU. Kpro does not run any thing to do with the speed sensor. It is an factory ECU controlled circuit. Everything else checks out fine per Honda ETM, and the sensor is new. The next step is to substitute an ECU. Wiring is good and has the correct 5v reference. I cant very well substitute an ECU with the setup on the car and expect it to run. Seems Ive hit a problem. Seems to be an intermitten software issue in the ECU.

I drove the car last night and it only coded once. The speedo works normal which makes me wonder. I want to plug the HDS into the car and set up a window to watch for the code and record what triggers it. It has to be either a low or high voltage outside the 5v that the ecu is looking for. Any other ideas?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:32 PM

Boofster, thank you for that info. Heres where Im at. I talked with Hondata and they reassured what I have seen as well. The adapter harness for connector A goes straight through from the plug in, to the Factory ECU. Kpro does not run any thing to do with the speed sensor. It is an factory ECU controlled circuit. Everything else checks out fine per Honda ETM, and the sensor is new. The next step is to substitute an ECU. Wiring is good and has the correct 5v reference. I cant very well substitute an ECU with the setup on the car and expect it to run. Seems Ive hit a problem. Seems to be an intermitten software issue in the ECU.

I drove the car last night and it only coded once. The speedo works normal which makes me wonder. I want to plug the HDS into the car and set up a window to watch for the code and record what triggers it. It has to be either a low or high voltage outside the 5v that the ecu is looking for. Any other ideas?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:46 AM

I just started getting the P0720 as well. Same setup as yours. It seems to happen when idling or coming out of gear into neutral. The idle surges to 1200'ish and then throws the code.

This only started happening after I upgraded to the latest KManager.

ILoveMYHonda1984, did you find a resolution?
Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 AM

FYI error code is less frequent after replacing the speed sensor on the transmission. Still no solution.

Quick Reply: P0720 with Kpro on a MY2006