UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Help Please! FINAL UPDATE

Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right! Hopefully, closure on this issue!

Having thought the problem through, and with a busy Christmas period coming up, I decided to 'bite the bullet' and go for the ultimate solution which was a 'call out'!

The fitter turned up this morning, as arranged, and set about checking the system. First off was the siren unit, which is housed in the black box mounted on the inner O/S/F wing. He confirmed that this was in good order, and that there had been no water penetration. Next he checked the ultrasonic sensors inside the vehicle and confirmed that they were working correctly.

This confirmed that the problem was almost certainly the circuit board in the main control unit, which is located under the carpet beneath the driver's seat. Access to this entailed removal of the driver's seat, and most of the cabin trim that side, so that the carpet could be lifted. A new circuit board was fitted and all the trim replaced, with the whole process taking just under an hour and a half.

The new circuit board comes with a new key fob, obviously necessary as it has to be programmed to the new board. From this he reprogrammed the two existing key fobs.

I was very impressed with the workmanship carried out in extremely cold conditions. It was obvious that the fitter knew far more about the Honda S2000 than I ever will, and I've had this car from new!

At the current rate of VAT (17.5%. It increases to 20% on 4th January), I had been quoted £191.53 for a replacement board via first class post. The 'call out', with the checks and labour included, cost £229.13. I felt it was worth it for the peace of mind (and new warranty on the alarm system) that it gives me.

AND. Before any of the usual posters say that the H&P system is a PONotVeryGoodEquipment and you should rip it out and fit a XXXX alarm, Google XXXX, or any other manufacturer, and you will find that they all have their own problems!
Old 11-29-2010, 03:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

at least it's sorted, Dennis!

I was going to respond to your earlier post:

"Problems that go away by themselves, come back by themselves"

There are always other options out there, of increasing complexity and cost so if what you've got does the job you want it to, then stick with it!