Mid-Atlantic S2000 Owners Members from Maryland, DC and Virginia

Roll Bar Is Installed!

Old 05-15-2011, 10:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Roll Bar Is Installed!

So I finally decided I was going to install a roll bar in my car. I turned to the services of Oleg and David, since they are very competent with power tools and this is a very large job. I got to Oleg's at 8 am sharp and David was already there. After we chatted for a few minutes waking up and getting the cobwebs up, I drove my car into the garage and we got it up on jackstands. I went inside to use the restroom and when I came out the rear wheels were already off and they had at least one seat out! Thank goodness for power tools and an air compressor So we (er, mainly they) spent the first part of the morning removing the interior, which involves removing the seats, glove box, rear plastic panels, and factory roll hoops/bulkhead (part the seat belt.

We finished this part of the job by 11:30, and decided to take a lunch break. This is what we had so far:

This is the comparison of the factory hoops to the bar:

We did a quick test fit to see how it would line up:

After some Chipolte threatened a food coma, we stopped at Harbor Freight, where I bought Oleg a 4 1/2" grinder and a new drill bit to make the next part easier, mounting and bolting the bar to the chassis.

We got back, and Oleg got his safety equipment on:

And began cutting...look at the sparks!

Meanwhile, Dave took the drill and began to drill out the holes. I stood around holding the flashlight, looking nervous

So Oleg finished cutting enough, and the holes were drilled out.

So we could mount the bar.

This bar was designed really well. Oleg held the mounting plates so Dave could screw in the bolts from the top.

Once it was all bolted in, it was just a matter of putting back whatever of the interior could be put back in and putting the seats back in. I bought the new bulkhead replacement bar, and had the seat belt tabs welded, so retaining the stock belts was a snap. Here it is:

Old 05-15-2011, 10:24 AM

Continued...

Finished!

The bar clears the soft top by millimeters...it is really an amazing design. Utilizes the maximum interior space.

For all "our" hard work, we had a victory beer

Oleg's mama was awesome and would not let us drive immediately after drinking a beer, so she made us tea and gave us rolls and butter to eat while we sat for a few minutes. Thanks to Oleg and David for their help, and to his mom for the tea and rolls!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I could help. The bar looks awesome and I can't wait to see it on track!

Oh, and what kind of beer were we drinking? It was good and I wouldn't mind getting some more.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Now the most important question: When will we see it on track?!?
Old 05-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice work guys!
Old 05-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not seen the bulkhead replacement bar before - great idea.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by yeaitsahonda
Glad I could help. The bar looks awesome and I can't wait to see it on track!

Oh, and what kind of beer were we drinking? It was good and I wouldn't mind getting some more.
It was good, wasn't it? It was Flying Dog Amber Lager...remember, "Flying" Dog for installing a "Hard" Dog roll bar
Old 05-15-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by metros
Now the most important question: When will we see it on track?!?
Haha, I'd like to as soon as possible. Next weekend I am getting new tires, brake rotors, pads, lines, axles and radiator installed. After that, I should be good to go. I need to find an event that will put me with an instructor though, I am a total newb at this
Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty much all events will pair you with an instructor. There are several s2000 guys going to Summit Point hyperfest event on June 18/19.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! This write up made the install sound easy! I was glad to help, anything to see more s2ks on the track!
Get the car setup right Kevin, and we will see you at the track!

Quick Reply: Roll Bar Is Installed!