S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

Hardtop latch adjustment

Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hardtop latch adjustment

I had an 04 with OEM hardtop. Now 08 CR with of course a hardtop. The 04 was fitted by Hardtop Guy. The 08 CR hardtop rattles. I cannot see any adjustments and I have done a search and read most of the posts. Still don't see a good solution.

Thought I would try the CR group to see if anyone had a good solution to making the latches close tighter and to reduce / eliminate the rattles.

Thanks.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a post from the owner's thread on using mounting tape on the latches:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/855...t__p__20519047

I applied some 3m mounting tape which eliminated the rattle...for about a week and it came back full force so I just said forget it
Old 07-22-2011, 08:33 AM

yeah, i just learned to ignore the rattle from the hard top
Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 AM

I have had this problem on my 2008 CR since 1800 miles. It has been to the dealer multiple times with shims being installed and taken out and even the area rep coming and test driving with me. The best way to get the front latches to get better purchase is to line everything up (rear strickers in holes but not latched) then lift up on the lower edge of the back of the hardtop pull it up about 1 inch then close the headliner latch. Leave the stricker open go to the other side and repeat. Once you have the second headliner latch secured then enagage the strickers. You should be able to physically feel the front latches grab and pull the hardtop towards the front of the car. This has worked well and my latch noise and wind noise has been reduced a noticable amount. This is also what Honda techline suggested.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I suffered from ridiculous rattles on both front latches, and wind noise around the back side of the drivers window. I fixed it all last week in less than 30min! Wish I did not wait so long to do this!

I tried using the lithium ion grease on the latches, I used plastic hose and electrical tape on the hooks of the latches, and I followed the TSB and stuffed the foam inside the latches. The best of all those was the plastic clear hose and electrical tape. I would try all of those first, then move onto adjusting the top itself.

Get a friend to help you. Use the hardtop adjustment pdf (http://www.diccaldwell.co.uk/images/...structions.pdf). Inside it shows which bolts are for adjustment and how to measure the clearances. I first measured my clearances and found my top to be out of spec, meaning, there was more gap between the body and the hardtop. I did always notice my top never sat that tightly on the car.

Remove the top, put it on a blanket on the ground. Pull off the side panels on either side where the latches are located. Put the top back onto the car and loosen the 3 nuts on either side (6 total). Naturally the weight of the top will push the top down and the latches will in turn move upwards in the slots. Give the top a shake or two then tighten the hardware and measure again. I did this twice and at the end got my top to be at the very bottom of the given clearance range. I also played around with my seals along the window frame to get those snugger around the glass.

After these adjustments I immediately noticed that my front latches required more effort to close, and felt much tighter once closed. My top is 100% rattle free and feels nice and tight now. Before it used to sound like my top was going to fall off! Easy fix.
The following users liked this post:
boys2k (05-16-2020)
Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Kieran650@msn.com
I have had this problem on my 2008 CR since 1800 miles. It has been to the dealer multiple times with shims being installed and taken out and even the area rep coming and test driving with me. The best way to get the front latches to get better purchase is to line everything up (rear strickers in holes but not latched) then lift up on the lower edge of the back of the hardtop pull it up about 1 inch then close the headliner latch. Leave the stricker open go to the other side and repeat. Once you have the second headliner latch secured then enagage the strickers. You should be able to physically feel the front latches grab and pull the hardtop towards the front of the car. This has worked well and my latch noise and wind noise has been reduced a noticable amount. This is also what Honda techline suggested.

Forget the dealers! They will basically try to make you pay for them to learn how to properly adjust the top. Shims are the absolute last solution! In all honestly, the one and only real fix/solution is to adjust the rear latches. It would appear that every single S2000 with a hardtop is out of spec from the factory. The specs and how to measure are out there so do some research and you should be able to fix it permanently yourself. A local guy here in AZ has adjusted probably 5 different peoples cars. He found all of them out of spec, and once he adjusted them, they have never had a problem since.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
I suffered from ridiculous rattles on both front latches, and wind noise around the back side of the drivers window. I fixed it all last week in less than 30min! Wish I did not wait so long to do this!

I tried using the lithium ion grease on the latches, I used plastic hose and electrical tape on the hooks of the latches, and I followed the TSB and stuffed the foam inside the latches. The best of all those was the plastic clear hose and electrical tape. I would try all of those first, then move onto adjusting the top itself.

Get a friend to help you. Use the hardtop adjustment pdf (http://www.diccaldwell.co.uk/images/...structions.pdf). Inside it shows which bolts are for adjustment and how to measure the clearances. I first measured my clearances and found my top to be out of spec, meaning, there was more gap between the body and the hardtop. I did always notice my top never sat that tightly on the car.

Remove the top, put it on a blanket on the ground. Pull off the side panels on either side where the latches are located. Put the top back onto the car and loosen the 3 nuts on either side (6 total). Naturally the weight of the top will push the top down and the latches will in turn move upwards in the slots. Give the top a shake or two then tighten the hardware and measure again. I did this twice and at the end got my top to be at the very bottom of the given clearance range. I also played around with my seals along the window frame to get those snugger around the glass.

After these adjustments I immediately noticed that my front latches required more effort to close, and felt much tighter once closed. My top is 100% rattle free and feels nice and tight now. Before it used to sound like my top was going to fall off! Easy fix.

Adam, so what you're saying is, throughout all the threads on latch rattle, the issue is realistically the levers in the back that are out of spec causing the top to not sit correctly, and therefor the latches are unable to attach with the right amount of force causing them to be loose and thefore rattle?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a really REALLY old thread that I had made a few years back detailing how to re-tighten the latches.

Worse comes to worst, I have a liner that I use to absorb the rattle. I can mail you a piece that should last you quite a long time.

*edit*

s2ki search failed me. Google got it on the first try.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/754...-rattle-fixed/
Old 07-22-2011, 09:35 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
There's a really REALLY old thread that I had made a few years back detailing how to re-tighten the latches.

Worse comes to worst, I have a liner that I use to absorb the rattle. I can mail you a piece that should last you quite a long time.

*edit*

s2ki search failed me. Google got it on the first try.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/754...-rattle-fixed/
Nice write up Mike, I've never seen that before. I can't believe one of your screws completely came out!! It looks like potentially it could be some loose-ness of the strikers up front and re positioning of the lever's in back, and the latches have never really been the issue?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The strikers ARE the issue... they have notch marks where the latch latches on... I fill in the gap with a liner now anytime I put the top on.

Did you notice any rattles driving my car?

Quick Reply: Hardtop latch adjustment