S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

05 UOA's

Old 09-20-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 UOA's

Basically posting this here and Bobistheoilguy.com.

Bought this 05 Honda S2000(F22c not the K20 listed) in SC last January. The analysis is on the last 3,400 miles and 10 months. The mileage is from my short 1.5 mile commute (bad), some long highway trips, and a couple of auto-crosses. I drive it enthusiastically when it's warmed up and usually stays in the garage when it's ugly outside (hence the long interval low mileage).

From the analysis it looks like some metal wear in the oil. I went with Mobil 1 10w-30 again at the change, looking for the best strategy moving forward. I'm planning on decreasing the short commutes (shoot for about 5 miles minimum) and drop the interval for 6 months to see if the wear decreases. Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Reid

I'll update if the bitog forum has any good info.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...31#Post2383131

Update 8/3/12: After not liking what the first UOA showed with the Mobil 1 10w-30, I ran it for 5 and a half months and changed to Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 late Febuary. Since then I put 2,200 miles of mixed driving on it, with 2 autocrosses (our corvette club 12 runs a piece), and 3 trackdays (Roebling & 2 days at CMP). ~80% of the drives are now 5 miles or longer. The weekend at CMP was in the 104-106^F ambient range, brutally hot. I replaced the PP with Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 after the trackday and had it analyzed. Based on the results I think I'll run 6 months or 3 trackdays, whatever comes first. Sorry for the small image.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting. I made some comments on BITOG about it, but forgot to ask if you lug the engine at all (drive while using lowest RPM's possible without stalling). The bearing wear looks higher than we normally see.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
Thanks for posting. I made some comments on BITOG about it, but forgot to ask if you lug the engine at all (drive while using lowest RPM's possible without stalling). The bearing wear looks higher than we normally see.
Thank You for the response!

I live in a condo complex. leaving my garage is about .25 mile before i get out of there. I sometimes let the idle speed carry the car out of the neighborhood in the morning. I guess this is considered lugging? And i take it this is bad?

Edit -> From cruising in low rpm (which for the S2000 is like 3k minimum) i don't believe i ever give it gas to the point this detonation occurs, but will pay attention to this.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3K RPM is good speed for the engine IMO. I consider 2.5K and below lugging. Just keep an eye on the Pb and Cu wear rates. If they stay the same or go higher, then you might consider switching to Amsoil ATM 10W-30, ASL, or SSO if you want to stay with a synthetic. A DSTM 130 (copper corrosion) rating of 1a is a good idea too if you look for something else.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:00 PM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

I would try a 5w-30. Is it possible there is residual debris from the previous owners habits?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:10 PM

Received 3,407 Likes on 2,466 Posts

Iron wear looks okay for a 10 month sample, like mentioned the copper and lead are elevated. Oil sheared down a bit which isn't abnormal for this engine, but I wouldn't want my oil going down into the 20 weight region. As far as Mobil1 goes I've seen great reports on their EP formula, if I was going to run Mobil1 it would be Mobil1 EP handsdown, it will hold up well for long intervals up to a year. It doesn't seem to shear down as much as regular Mobil1.

There is a possibility that the previous owner used a conventional oil and the Mobil1 has been doing some residual cleaning, as it tends to be a decent cleaning oil. Some of the extra metal may just be from cleaning attributes. A second UOA will definitely give you a better idea of what is happening, it's great having information like that to help you find out what is happening with your oil.

You have a little bit of fuel and insolubles in the the oil, not very much, but likely from your short commutes. Go Mobil1 EP and see if things improve. Using Honda filters ? - air and oil.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgive me if this is a noob question, but wouldn't the averages be off considering they thought you had a k20? What I mean is, are the numbers they are comparing your car to the incorrect standards?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanK325
Forgive me if this is a noob question, but wouldn't the averages be off considering they thought you had a k20? What I mean is, are the numbers they are comparing your car to the incorrect standards?
I agree.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:40 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

interesting point. Although im sure the people commenting on this are comparing to their own s2000 norms.

what oil filter?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by INDYMAC
3K RPM is good speed for the engine IMO. I consider 2.5K and below lugging. Just keep an eye on the Pb and Cu wear rates. If they stay the same or go higher, then you might consider switching to Amsoil ATM 10W-30, ASL, or SSO if you want to stay with a synthetic. A DSTM 130 (copper corrosion) rating of 1a is a good idea too if you look for something else.
Thanks, i will keep an eye on this. It's conceivable when cold I'm driving in the low rpm range, but only with throttle barely cracked.

Originally Posted by starchland
I would try a 5w-30. Is it possible there is residual debris from the previous owners habits?
Good point. The previous owner took great care of the car, but might have been running conventional. Which synthetic could have been cleaning up.

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Iron wear looks okay for a 10 month sample, like mentioned the copper and lead are elevated. Oil sheared down a bit which isn't abnormal for this engine, but I wouldn't want my oil going down into the 20 weight region. As far as Mobil1 goes I've seen great reports on their EP formula, if I was going to run Mobil1 it would be Mobil1 EP handsdown, it will hold up well for long intervals up to a year. It doesn't seem to shear down as much as regular Mobil1.

There is a possibility that the previous owner used a conventional oil and the Mobil1 has been doing some residual cleaning, as it tends to be a decent cleaning oil. Some of the extra metal may just be from cleaning attributes. A second UOA will definitely give you a better idea of what is happening, it's great having information like that to help you find out what is happening with your oil.

You have a little bit of fuel and insolubles in the the oil, not very much, but likely from your short commutes. Go Mobil1 EP and see if things improve. Using Honda filters ? - air and oil.
Honda 6-pack of filter from http://www.handa-accessories.com/ K&N FIPK air filter. Thanks very much for the thoughts, I'll be seeing how a 6 month interval looks, then go from there.
Originally Posted by omairtheman1
Originally Posted by SeanK325' timestamp='1316663787' post='20994062
I agree.
I believe the universal averages look a lot like another AP2 report i saw, with the F22c being correctly identified.

Originally Posted by starchland
interesting point. Although im sure the people commenting on this are comparing to their own s2000 norms.

what oil filter?
Honda OEM filter.

Quick Reply: 05 UOA's