UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Please select tyres you've used on an S2000 and would recommend
Avon ZZ3 16+
0.74%
Bridgestone RE050a 16
10.06%
Bridgestone RE050MZ 17
17.88%
Continental ContiSportContact 2 16
1.30%
Continental ContiSportContact 5 17
1.86%
Dunlop SP Sport Maxx TT 16+
0.74%
Falken FK452 16+
7.08%
Goodyear Eagle GSD3 16
2.05%
Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 2 17
15.46%
Hankook Ventus K110 V12 evo 16+
4.10%
Kumho Ecsta KU31 16
1.49%
Pirelli PZero 16
0.74%
Toyo T1-R 16+
7.26%
Uniroyal Rainsport 2 16+
1.86%
Yokohama AD08 16+
13.97%
Toyo R888 16+
2.61%
Yokohama A048 16+
2.23%
Toyo T1 Sport 17
0.56%
Bridgestone S001 17
2.79%
Bridgestone RE002 16+
5.21%
Voters: 537. You may not vote on this poll

The Tyre Thread - Want to know about tyres? Then look here

Old 04-03-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After rather nervously deciding to get a set of michelin pilot sport 4, to replace the Goodyear AS2, which made,the car (and me), very nervous, twitchy and unpredictable, I've just done around 200 miles on the PS4's. What a difference ! I feel that I've got the car back that I'd been driving for 5 years, but better.
I can't give an un-subjective opinion on these tyres, only a first impression on dry, warm roads.
Cornering: Crisp, precise, predictable. Good through chicanes. A lot of grip. Confidence inspiring.
More comfortable ride than Potenzas and car feels more in contact with the road on rough surfaces.
No noticeable tram- lining on road markings/ tarmac seams.
Steady at high speed in straight lines.
I haven't driven any long and prolonged fast curves so can't comment.

I think that a contributing factor to the poor handling of the car with AS2's on the rear, was that I still had MZ Potenzas on the front and the combination of soft walled tyres on the rear with a lot of grip, and part worn stiff tyres on the front, really unbalanced the car.

In conclusion, my provisional opinion on changing to the PS4's all around, is that the car handles better than on the MZ potenzas. Far, far better than the AS2 / MZ combination. I've got my confidence back driving it, I can feel the car on the road and generally feel part of the car.
Roll on the summer !!
Old 04-03-2016, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's very encouraging news KG!
Old 04-04-2016, 01:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by K G CLE
I think that a contributing factor to the poor handling of the car with AS2's on the rear, was that I still had MZ Potenzas on the front and the combination of soft walled tyres on the rear with a lot of grip, and part worn stiff tyres on the front, really unbalanced the car.
I can second this... My rears were at the limit a couple months ago. Replaced them with as2's. The potenzas up front still have around 4-5mm left on them. I've found the combination is OK at lower speeds however when you get to about 65mph then the rear starts to "wobble". I have combated this slightly by increasing the rear pressure by a couple psi (think they were at 30psi and now at 32psi) and the wobble doesn't kick in until about 75mph. I may try upping the pressure again slightly.

As previous poster, once the fronts need replacing I could replace them with as2's and the issue might go away. Otherwise the only alternative I think will be to replace all 4. You never know I might get fortunate and all 4 may need replacing next time around...
Old 04-04-2016, 02:23 AM

I ran the as2's at 35 on the back and the MZ's on the front at 32. this gave a slight improvement in the handling.
Originally Posted by gav86
Originally Posted by K G CLE' timestamp='1459723821' post='23927084
I can second this... My rears were at the limit a couple months ago. Replaced them with as2's. The potenzas up front still have around 4-5mm left on them. I've found the combination is OK at lower speeds however when you get to about 65mph then the rear starts to "wobble". I have combated this slightly by increasing the rear pressure by a couple psi (think they were at 30psi and now at 32psi) and the wobble doesn't kick in until about 75mph. I may try upping the pressure again slightly.

As previous poster, once the fronts need replacing I could replace them with as2's and the issue might go away. Otherwise the only alternative I think will be to replace all 4. You never know I might get fortunate and all 4 may need replacing next time around...
Old 04-04-2016, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a joke....SWMBO moaned at me and said 'Why are you wasting your time on those forums. Why aren't you ringing up Technical at Bridgestone?'.

So I did. I asked them what tyres would they recommend as being close in handling and performance characteristics to the original Potenza S-02 originally specified. Especially as there are a pair of these on the front. The answer? "We don't have any details available as to the specification of the original S-02's and so can't recommend anything. We suggest you try another tyre manufacturer who would have also supplied original tyres to the S-2000 and ask them". I replied that as far as I was aware Bridgestone were the only tyres factory-fitted and could he tell me which other manufacturer he was referring to. He couldn't.

So then I rang Honda and the girlie said 'Speak to your local dealer or I can send an information request to our technical department and they will get back to you in 2-3 days'. So I rang my local dealer. They rang me back and said "Turanza T001". Um, let me see now...from the little research I have done the Turanza is classed as a 'comfort' tyre...nice soft walls, soft ride...just what you need on an S2000 especially with S-02's on the front. So I rang Honda again and this time got a chap. "I'll give technical a call" he says. Long wait (0845 on a mobile ) ...."Sorry for the wait...they don't recommend any particular manufacturer but they can give you the specification".

Oh goodie, I think, maybe, at best, I might get some decent technical details as a starting point but, at worst, those soppy EU ratings. Nah....even worse than that. "The specification is 225 50R16". I told him where he could stick his 'technical specification'.

So after a long chat with the very knowledgeable local tyre chap - who suggested asking on forums (sensible chap) - we've come to the conclusion that I'll stick a pair of RE002's on the back and see how they go - especially as a mix with S-02's on the front. From the excellent information on this forum I think that they should work together OK...Time will tell and I'll get back to you with any feedback. If they don't then I'll have to bite the bullet and put a pair on the front as well.

Edit: I subsequently went back to my local Honda dealer and asked them where they go the information from regarding the Turanza's. They said 'their tyre dealer' to which I replied 'Well, you might like to check whether they really are suitable'. He promised to get back to me.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:21 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by countryman
So after a long chat with the very knowledgeable local tyre chap - who suggested asking on forums (sensible chap) - we've come to the conclusion that I'll stick a pair of RE002's on the back and see how they go - especially as a mix with S-02's on the front. From the excellent information on this forum I think that they should work together OK...Time will tell and I'll get back to you with any feedback. If they don't then I'll have to bite the bullet and put a pair on the front as well.
FWIW, I'd consider getting some RE002s for the front as well. Mostly because I suspect the S02s on the front are likely to be very old (my assumption based on the low mileage) and will not be working as well as they once did.

Given RE002s are about £50 each for the fronts, it's a no-brainer
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b2792s2...5_16_205_55R16
Old 04-06-2016, 08:14 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Just looking at the AD08's 0n Blackcircles

215 40 17 £108.08

215 45 17 £88.03

is it going to make much difference in the side wall being a 45 over a 40, im on coils so can adjust to accommodate the differance im just curious to know
Old 04-06-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's supposed to be a 45 on the front. Win win.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by countryman' timestamp='1459768404' post='23927355

FWIW, I'd consider getting some RE002s for the front as well. Mostly because I suspect the S02s on the front are likely to be very old (my assumption based on the low mileage) and will not be working as well as they once did.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b2792s2...5_16_205_55R16
I have to agree with you. On closer inspection, one of the front tyres was so old it was starting to crack. There wasn't that much tread on it and so a bit of a no-brainer. So I bit the bullet and have four new RE002's. Initial impressions? Mmmmm....can't put my finger on it but wish the S-02's were still available.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by countryman
Originally Posted by lovegroova' timestamp='1459768901' post='23927361
[quote name='countryman' timestamp='1459768404' post='23927355']

http://www.camskill....55_16_205_55R16
I have to agree with you. On closer inspection, one of the front tyres was so old it was starting to crack. There wasn't that much tread on it and so a bit of a no-brainer. So I bit the bullet and have four new RE002's. Initial impressions? Mmmmm....can't put my finger on it but wish the S-02's were still available.
[/quote]

Exactly, the S02' were probably the best Bridgestone tyre for the car, but of course everyone since those tyres became 'extinct' thinks that any Bridgestones will do, it comes as no surprise to me that they won't. You're in double difficulty, finding tyres to replace the S02 and 16" wheels. As I am sure you know, one of the most compelling reasons for changing the wheels to 17's is they allow for more choices of rubber, and my advice to you would have been that, change your wheels and then the tyres (preferably away from Bridgestone) - I know this adds to the cost but in my opinion the most important aspects to the driveability of the S2000 are the tyres it is sat on, and unfortunately since the S02 there is not much if anything available for 16" wheels, of course careful consideration is required on 17's too.

Quick Reply: The Tyre Thread - Want to know about tyres? Then look here