S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

rear caliper rattle HELP

Old 06-17-2012, 04:45 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default rear caliper rattle HELP

I am having a problem with my rear caliper, it rattles really bad over bumps in the road. I know its the rear caliper because if I go over the same bumps with the ebrake engaged the rattles (more like clunks stops). I posted a video to show the rattle. This happened after I put new pads(hawk HP+), rotors, SS lines. any help would be great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oSCV...yer_detailpage
Old 06-17-2012, 04:55 AM

Received 3,385 Likes on 2,456 Posts

That looks weird, but here are a few things to check.

Does the rotor meet the proper specs for a new part in terms of thickness ?. Is the rotor centered in the opening of the caliper bracket or is it sitting off-center ?. Did you torque the caliper bracket to spec which holds the bracket to the hub ?. Also did you install the caliper pins in their proper location , they are oriented for top and bottom use (though I doubt the would cause that specific issue if mixed up). Double check the part numbers of the brake pads and make sure they gave you the proper pads. Lastly, did you center the caliper piston properly over the small pin on the in-board brake pad so the piston cross-hairs slide over the pad pin, if it doesn't slide over the pin it will be cocked crooked and can cause some issues. The cross-hairs of the piston have to be oriented to mate up with the inboard brake pad on the rear brakes.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:00 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Looks like far too much play on the slider pins that hold the caliper to the carrier - almost like one of the bolts is either missing or just not tightened in.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:04 AM

Stupid question ... but you did align the pads to the crosshatching in the piston? And did you pump the foot brake a few times before driving off so that the piston is wound out correctly and is holding the pads - also have you refitted the anti rattle shims between the pads and the caliper?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:05 AM

everything is tight on the caliper and the rotor that i can think of slider pins, caliper mounting bracket. I gotta check part numbers later but I ordered everything from tire rack. I thought the auto adjust caliper would just tighten it down because if I use the hand break it stops the noise. I might try and put my oem pads on and see if it still does it
Old 06-17-2012, 05:07 AM

Just give the brake pedal a few pokes and check it has closed the pads up to the disc first.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
Stupid question ... but you did align the pads to the crosshatching in the piston? And did you pump the foot brake a few times before driving off so that the piston is wound out correctly and is holding the pads - also have you refitted the anti rattle shims between the pads and the caliper?
I think they are align (that little pin goes in the plus size of the caliper) I pumped the brakes and have driven over 150 miles and it still does it (I slammed the breaks on the highway a hand full of times) I did not put the shims on because I think hawk has there own shims connected to the pads but i could be wrong
Old 06-17-2012, 05:09 AM

I'd make sure the shims are fitted as well as checking the pads are the right ones. Mine rattled like hell over rough surfaces until i replaced the missing ( thanks Honda) anti rattle shims.

That's what should be fitted and was what was missing on mine.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:16 AM

the top thing in the middle? mine is there maybe I need a new one?

The pad that goes on the inside maybe I put the wrong pad on the wrong side? the one with the little metal clip(that sticks out of the pad toward the inside of the car) how do I know which side goes where?
Old 06-17-2012, 06:18 AM

When I put hte read pads in it was a real pain had to rent a caliper reset tool wonder if that could have caused any harm?

Quick Reply: rear caliper rattle HELP