S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Wiring extra sensors into AEM series 2 explained

Old 06-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiring extra sensors into AEM series 2 explained

07/25/12 Edit - everything confirmed working - this is now an informative thread, not me asking a question

AEM series 2 has these channels available for extra sensors:
Available 0-5v channels: C6 (ADCR11), C24 (ADCR13), D8 (ADCR14)
Available Sensor Grounds: A7, A31, D9

Here is how to wire these extra pieces in:
Boost Solenoid Wiring: 1 wire to ignition switched 12v, 1 wire to pin D16 (polarity does not matter)
Oil Pressure Sensor: D6 for +5v wire, D8 for 0-5v signal wire, D9 for sensor ground
Wideband Sensor: Signal wire going to C16 (replacing the factory C16 input wire) - This is how to wire it when using the AEM wideband gauge, I am not sure how to do it if you only have the UEGO sensor, although I am sure the same pin is involved.

Oil temperature is a little tricky. You will need a 2.2k ohm resistor to create a "pull-up resistor". Radio shack has these readily available. Here is how to wire it in using the resistor as a jumper between the +5v wire on the oil pressure sensor and the signal wire of the temperature sensor (this turns it into a pull up resistor).
[attachment=24368:Aem sensors wiring.jpg]

And finally, here is a link to the serial gauge calibration file I am using. It will read oil pressure, oil temperature, boost (if using a 3bar map sensor like I am), coolant temp using the stock sensor, and air temp using the stock sensor. Please only use it for help setting yours up, this way I am not responsible if you blow something while trusting the gauge

Link to the AEM manual with pin layout for reference:
http://www.aemelectronics.com/Images...%2030-6052.pdf

Link to a great write up by "averageJoe" for programming the serial gauge:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/946...#entry21640711

And since I had a hard time finding the D connector for my ems, here is the AEM part number for it: 3-1002-16. Note it does not come with the pins and you need to buy those too. I bought both of these things from summit.
Attached Thumbnails Wiring extra sensors into AEM series 2 explained-aem-sensors-wiring.jpg  
Old 06-29-2012, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second this question for I wanna run an electronic boost controller
Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM

how goes it?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 PM

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/946...t__p__21640711
Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 AM

I have read that post multiple times in anticipation of programming these sensors once wired in, but in this thread, I was looking for specific instructions on which pins to use to wire these sensors in...

Thank you a bunch for that great write up though
Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 PM

If you have removed the factory air pump (emission crap) you should use C24 as your oil psi input because this is already wired up and you can use the existing wiring. The power/sensor/ground is already there.
The current sensor is behind the driver side fender, near the side marker. You can unplug this and simply make an extension harness. This can be done without tapping the factory wire loom at the ECU and easily restored if you're into that thing.
That is exactly what I did.

keep your signal inputs and signal grouds paired. so if you want to use C6 as an input, use C7 as the ground.

the boost solenoid and wideband look correct.
but be sure to ground the wideband's signal ground wire(not 12v power gournd) very close to the Ecu.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for compiling this info - it's really helpful! A question regarding the boost control wiring. Looks like this is driven by D16, which is not part of the OEM harness. Is D16 the only option here or is there another place on the stock harness that I could wire up the EBCS?

I understand you can buy the D plug, just trying to see if there's an easier way.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Sergei
Thank you for compiling this info - it's really helpful! A question regarding the boost control wiring. Looks like this is driven by D16, which is not part of the OEM harness. Is D16 the only option here or is there another place on the stock harness that I could wire up the EBCS?

I understand you can buy the D plug, just trying to see if there's an easier way.

Theoretically, you could connect it to d16 without using the plug, just put an extra pin (that came with the ems) on the end of the wire, plug it in and tape it up. If that's the only wire you would be using the d connector for I could see it working out just fine. Regardless, I would recommend just buying the connector being as it is only like $5.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by averageJoe
If you have removed the factory air pump (emission crap) you should use C24 as your oil psi input because this is already wired up and you can use the existing wiring. The power/sensor/ground is already there.
The current sensor is behind the driver side fender, near the side marker. You can unplug this and simply make an extension harness. This can be done without tapping the factory wire loom at the ECU and easily restored if you're into that thing.
That is exactly what I did.

keep your signal inputs and signal grouds paired. so if you want to use C6 as an input, use C7 as the ground.

the boost solenoid and wideband look correct.
but be sure to ground the wideband's signal ground wire(not 12v power gournd) very close to the Ecu.

So even though c7 is listed as "dedicated, sensors only" and not as "avail, sensor ground", it is ok to use?? I guess that is where my confusion lies.

So tell me if this will work ok:

Oil pressure sensor - D6, D8, & D9
Oil Temperature sensor - C6 & C7
Old 07-09-2012, 11:17 AM

I took a look at my ecu harness today and noticed there is already a wire going into c7. So not sure if I can replace that with the temp sensor ground wire or not??

bump?

Quick Reply: Wiring extra sensors into AEM series 2 explained