Health & Fitness A place to discuss health and fitness to help promote a healthy and active lifestyle.

How active?

Old 08-31-2015, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 31 years old I'm getting back into going to the gym after a back injury that happened last May, and am now going 3-5 times per week. I'd like to up to 5-6 regularly as I used to.
I feel like I am in alright shape apart from still recovering from the injury and have to be extra careful still.

I'm about 3/4 non active and about 1/4 active at best throughout the day on average, if you consider a 24 hour day and account for sleep and obviously being on the computer too right now is non-active.
I'd like to get it closer to 50/50 though like Junky..and he really is in excellent shape and has a build that cannot be had in a year's worth of training..naturally--which of course he is. Pretty much the build I've always been going for myself, and haven't been able to make it anywhere close. Of course now after the injury I went back a long ways and have to regain a lot of strength just to get where I was back in May, and that will certainly take some effort. On average I eat about 3,000 calories a day, but back when I had a high metabolism I used to eat as many as between 5,000 to 6,000 and was able to stay lean'ish at around 185..back around age 25. There is a catch, as many as 2,000 calories of that was weight gainer that I'd take in the morning and at night..looking back that seems no healthier than fast food, which I could get away with back then and usually don't do at all any more.

Most of my gym activity has been lifting, but occasionally I will swim in the pool or do the rowing machine too. On days that I swim that might mean a second trip even.

Food/diet plays a very important role, and it all depends on the person, but I feel like I make the best gains if I eat about 4,000 calories a day--1,000 more than I've been averaging though lately. My body fat is usually between 10-14%, and currently at ~165 and 11% body fat I'd like to gain ten pounds of muscle if possible without packing on more fat, or at least retaining the low'ish (by my standards) body fat percentage I have now.

Supplement wise I've just been doing whey protein and an amino energy drink as of lately, if I struggle with gains I may go back to something with creatine.

I have to stand on my feet for 8 hours a day at work, but it is more standing and walking than anything else so it doesn't really seem like a workout in itself.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:53 AM

Received 219 Likes on 78 Posts

I try to get out and run three days per week, outside on roads. That's usually about 50 miles in a month, more or less. It's been as low as 38 miles and I've done 100 in a month but that's too much for my knees to handle.
I have a desk job at a factory, so I bought a fitbit to see how many miles I walk at work and it's usually between 12-20, which is a lot more than I'd guess but our place is huge.
Hell, I get 2.5 miles in when I use the walk behind to mow the yard.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

im an electrician, on my feet 8 hours a day up and down ladders

workout at least 4-5 days a week

i could never count calories and macros and all that, id rather just eat healthy and not limit my portions

and just dont over indulge in sweets, and dont be devouring carbs within 6 hours of bedtime

thats the simple version
Old 07-19-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I work a desk job like most of you guys here. I am currently running a 6 weeks cycle where I would lift 3 to 5 days per week depending on the week (Candido's). The rest of the time I try to bike or hike at least once a week. My diet is mainly high protein and carbs with very low fat where I don't count calories or have a fixed portion.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

34 years old, desk job. I race mountain bikes at a very competitive level, long endurance (6-8hr races) and shorter xc. This puts me on a bike an average of 12hrs a week, some weeks are 8 others are 18. I race best at 172lbs, problem is my natural weight is closer to 185. For diet I am very disciplined aside from beer (god I love beer). I eat for a purpose, so to either perform or recover and I eat the same things every day for most meals. It makes life simple, if I need to cut weight I just eat less!! Downside is vacation, which is where I happen to be now, I bet I gain 10lbs from eating different stuff and not riding

Good news is that I am on a bit of a break from racing till September, so I will have some goals to focus on for the next month!!
Old 07-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
34 years old, desk job. I race mountain bikes at a very competitive level, long endurance (6-8hr races) and shorter xc. This puts me on a bike an average of 12hrs a week, some weeks are 8 others are 18. I race best at 172lbs, problem is my natural weight is closer to 185. For diet I am very disciplined aside from beer (god I love beer). I eat for a purpose, so to either perform or recover and I eat the same things every day for most meals. It makes life simple, if I need to cut weight I just eat less!! Downside is vacation, which is where I happen to be now, I bet I gain 10lbs from eating different stuff and not riding

Good news is that I am on a bit of a break from racing till September, so I will have some goals to focus on for the next month!!
Location?

I friend of mine from high school lives in Fort Collins, CO and does a lot of mountain bike racing.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:00 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Columbus Ohio
Old 07-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Columbus Ohio
Ahhh!
Old 07-20-2016, 01:16 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Desk job 5 days a week. I exercise about 15 hours a week, 5 days a week. Large amount of weight lifting with some moderate cardio and calisthenics/dynamic stretching. I eat moderate carbs/large amounts of protein and track everything I take in; I minimize salts, sugars, and fats.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:29 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Fokker
Desk job 5 days a week. I exercise about 15 hours a week, 5 days a week. Large amount of weight lifting with some moderate cardio and calisthenics/dynamic stretching. I eat moderate carbs/large amounts of protein and track everything I take in; I minimize salts, sugars, and fats.
15 hours is pretty impressive. I can say I average 6-8 hours a week. 10-12 if I can score some tennis court time

Quick Reply: How active?