Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

TRACK: Northwest Track Information 2006

Old 01-02-2003, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is intended to be one stop shopping for S2000-related track and event information for the Northwest region.

I am looking for contributions on additional tracks, schools, club events, reviews, etc. If you have anything to add, please post it to this thread, and I'll edit it into the top post.

Stuff that will be here:
  • Frequently Asked Questions about taking your S2000 to the track
  • names, locations and other details about road-racing tracks in the Northwest where we can participate with our S2000s
  • members' reviews of various tracks and schools
Stuff that won't be here (These would all be good subjects for other threads.) :
  • information about autocross locations and events
  • information about drag racing locations and events
  • information about karting locations and events
  • information about spectator events
Upcoming Track Event Listing:
Please see this thread for:
  • dates, prices and other details of driver's education and lapping days
  • links to other threads about specific events
  • discussion of who's going to what event
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=98084

Track FAQ
The fine print: I'm not a race car driver, mechanic, lawyer or your mother, I'm just a guy who's done a few track days and had a great time; use your own judgement and seek other opinions. Do not sue me.

Q: Is it safe?
A: While nothing is completely safe, especially when it involves cars, there are several reasons why the track is safer place than you would imagine. Everyone is going the same direction, with no cross traffic, hidden driveways, or kids darting out onto the road. Everyone is paying attention to what they're doing, instead of talking on a cell phone, changing radio stations, and reading a map. There are corner workers keeping an eye on all parts of the track, ready to alert you with a flag if there's something you should know about around the next turn. All in all, it's safer to drive fast at the track than on the street.

Q: Are these events really racing?
A: No, no racing is involved at most of these events! Passing is allowed only when the driver being passed gives a 'point-by' to the driver wishing to pass, and even then only at designated 'passing zones' or more accurately 'let-by zones', usually the straights.

Q: What should I do to my car to prepare it for the track?
A: The S2000 is amazingly well suited to go to the track without any major changes. The one area that you might think about changing before your first track day is the brakes: while they are excellent for street driving, the pads and fluid aren't up to the heat produced by the repeated heavy braking you'll do at the track. Some drivers have no problem at their first few events. Good DOT 4 brake fluid and a set of performance brake pads are all you really need. Search this site or ask other owners for recommendations. At the track, you'll want to take anything loose or removable out of your car: floor mats, sunglasses, the spare tire and tools, basically anything that could move around and either hit you, get in your way, or be a distraction. Plus, a light car is a fast car. Also consider having your car's alignment checked; many S2000 owners have found that their car wasn't set to the 'factory' suggested alignment when they got it, or the settings had drifted. You can find many, many threads and posts here on alternative alignment specs for higher performance (at the expense of tire wear during street driving).

Q: Can you tell me more about brake pads and fluid?
A: The stock brake pads may glaze, wear out, or crumble under heavy track braking. Glazed pads result in reduced stopping ability, requiring increased brake pedal effort; glazing will eventually wear off. You don't want to find out about worn out or crumbled pads! Popluar replacement pads inclulde Porterfield R4 (track only), Porterfield R4-S (track/street), BrakeMan #3 (track/street), and Carbotech Panther Plus (track/barely usable on the street), among others. Several site sponsors sell these pads. The stock brake fluid will boil under moderate to heavy track braking. Boiling the brake fluid causes air bubbles in the fluid; the air compresses more easily than the fluid, which you feel as a 'mushy' pedal. This reduces your braking ability, especially your ability to control your braking. Popular replacement fluid includes Ate SuperBlue and Motul RBF 600 fluid; the SuperBlue is, believe it or not, colored blue, so you can tell when you've got all the old fluid out. I alternate between the two. In the Seattle area, SpeedWare Motorsports carries both of these fluids and Proflow Design carries the SuperBlue.

Flushing/bleeding brake fluid FAQ:
https://www.s2ki.com/article/articleview/8/1/33/

Step-by-step changing brake pads:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=123081

Q: What else do I need?
A: You'll need a helmet to participate in track events. If you have a decent motorcycle helmet, many track events will allow you to use it. They may require it to have a 'MA90' or newer rating, and of course it should fit you properly and be in good condition. Some events require 'car' helmets, which carry an 'SAxx' rating, where 'xx' is the last two years of the rating standard. My helmet, for example, is a 'SA95' helmet, because it was designed to the 1995 standard for Special Applications. Some of this site's sponsors sell helmets, or you can ask members for local shops. Some events have loaner helmets available, but be sure to reserve one in advance. Short of getting a race seat, harness, and a rollbar (which should all be added together or not at all), a seatbelt locking clip is the best way to keep your butt planted in the seat under Gs. You can either get the CG-Lock (sold in the marketplace on this site), or just go to Toys R Us and pick up a babyseat clip.

Q: What about rollbars?
A: Those arches behind the seats in the S2000 are designed to support the car in the unlikely event of a rollover. They, along with the windshield frame, are quite beefy under the plastic trim and are attached to the car's frame. There have been reports of S2000 roll-overs where the occupants were protected by the stock roll hoops. It is possible, however, that you will run into a track event where they are uncomfortable with the S2000 as-is, and may require an aftermarket roll bar or cage. In some cases you may be able to convince them with the above information to allow you anyway. Keep in mind, however, that for events where you will have an instructor in the car with you, that instructor must be willing to risk their head, too... I recommend that you verify with the organizers of any event you are signing up for that they will accept the stock S2000 roll hoops at the time you register.

If you need help convincing an event organizer that the S2000's roll hoops are more than cosmetic, try this:[QUOTE]The windshield surround is specially strengthened by a tubular brace. The driver's and passenger's integrated roll bars are made of 1.5-inch diameter high-strength steel pipe with a .080-inch wall thickness. The roll bars are securely anchored to the high X-bone floor frame. The reinforced door pillars, and reinforced windshield posts and windshield frame all contribute to the car meeting the Federal standards for occupant protection in a rollover accident
Old 01-02-2003, 07:23 PM

Just reserving this spot in case I need to add more info.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:34 AM

Cool - more tracks than I'd realized!
Old 02-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in for 2 or 3 events this season...assuming I don't run outta money again...
Old 02-14-2004, 11:32 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Nice job Ted, we appreciate you taking the time to compile all this!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by RT
Nice job Ted, we appreciate you taking the time to compile all this!
yeah, let me plant a big wet one on your other cheek!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found a low-speed Pacific Raceways instructional video at http://www.pacificraceways.com/prtv/videos/prlap.wmv...
Old 03-11-2005, 03:29 PM

Slightly updated for 2005.

Thanks to Mike G for the Pacific Raceways construction update report.

More new info to come later.

Ted