S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cosworth Motor Oil

Old 02-06-2006, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cosworth Motor Oil

Check this out:

http://www.liquidcosworth.com/oil/default.asp

Cosworth motor oil...perhaps Road Rage can comment on the specs. and MSDS?

They say it's tested in Champ Car and F1 engines...and costs about the same as Redline or Motul.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

MSDS -> http://www.liquidcosworth.com/oil/Cosworth...r_Oils_MSDS.pdf
Old 02-07-2006, 04:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of the information on this oil is fairly impressive.
The only major factor that was low was the TBN (Total Base Number).
The TBN of oil is the measure of the alkaline reserve, or the ability of the oil to neutralize acids from combustion. The higher a motor oil's TBN, the more effective it is in suspending wear-causing contaminants and reducing the corrosive effects of acids over an extended period of time. Severe depletion of the TBN results in acid corrosion and fouling within the engine. All of the oils Cosworth offers show a TBN of 8.8, which isn't that great. A number above 11 is much better.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all.

I would like to agree that Total Base Number does neutralize acids caused by combustion by-products, but it does not keep contaminants in suspension.

To a large degree, the acidic combustion byproducts are a result of a reaction with sulfur in the fuel. With the introduction of low sulfur gasoline in the US several years ago (sulfur in gasoline cause the rotten egg smell) and the imminent introduction of low sulfur diesel fuel (because sulfur contributes to particulate emissions) the balance of good performance oil formulations has tipped away from high initial TBN. And in practice, the many additive types that provide TBN have different initial values and consequently the better measure is TBN retention.

The additive that keeps contaminants in suspension is a dispersant. High dispersancy prevents sludge "puddles" and oil thickening. As a side note, it may even cause a new oil to turn dark quickly, since it picks up deposit related materials left from the previous oil charge.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:04 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

There's no 10W-30 grade. Anyone know if the 0W-30 is usable in the S2000?

Is this just OEM branding of someone else's oil, or is this really a new product? I don't think of Cosworth as a lubricant company, but with new ownership (Champ Car), I could certainly see the motivation to use the brand name for other things.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmo,Feb 19 2006, 07:04 AM
There's no 10W-30 grade. Anyone know if the 0W-30 is usable in the S2000?

Is this just OEM branding of someone else's oil, or is this really a new product? I don't think of Cosworth as a lubricant company, but with new ownership (Champ Car), I could certainly see the motivation to use the brand name for other things.
I saw an interview with one of the new owners on a business channel several weeks ago. He was going on and on about the branding opportunities. It seemed that they were going to push the name like crazy. I'm leery based on that one interview.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:06 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey, Cosworth is a fantastic name brand to exploit. If it helps add to the stability of open-wheel motoring, more's the better. Just my opin.

In any case, I see from their site that they're claiming the oil products are not re-brands. Interesting. I guess we'll have to watch for exploding Cosworth motors in Champ running Cosworth oil.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing I find most impressive is that this oil is the exact same oil they are running in their F1 and Champ car engines. It's not everyday that a F1 engine manufacturer sells their oil to the public. Maybe Honda F1 will come out with something too, instead of the rebranded stuff they sell at dealerships?? Even though McLaren have Mobil 1 stickers all over their F1 car, I can guarantee you they don't use the same Mobil 1 oil that you buy off the shelf.

Btw, 5W40 is available and one of the two grades recommended for our car.

Here's a link to the section talking about Cosworth's In-House Performance Tests (see last page):

http://www.liquidcosworth.com/oil/Cosworth...scussion_v1.pdf

I also cut & pasted an exerpt from their Champ car engine test:

XFE Endurance Test
Cosworth Performance Engineered Motor Oil performed flawlessly in a recent Champ Car endurance test. In a continuing effort to validate the durability of the turbocharged 2.65L XFE engine, Cosworth Inc. in Torrance, California, conducts dynamometer evaluations simulating a combined 1200 miles of the Fontana and Elkhart Lake race tracks. The objective is to run to the life expectancy of the hardware and evaluate the status of the most critical or consumable parts. Knowledge from this testing directs engineering to recommend longer allowable life for some parts or adding strength to others, all to ensure a bullet-proof power package for competitors.

Fontana and Elkhart Lake are simulated because they represent the oval and road course with the highest duty cycle. The test is almost 12 hours long and over 7 hours is at full throttle. 820 gallons of methanol are consumed and almost 4 1/2 minutes are at the high boost, high RPM Push-to-Pass condition.

The procedure does not allow fuel enrichment, and consequently the intake charge and cylinder head temperatures run hotter.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in comparing the specs on Cosworth oil with Amsoil. I am sure there is a some specs on previous posts somewhere....
Tho I am most happy with Amsoil 10-30 in my car and not really interested in chasing the "newest and latest"
Old 02-22-2006, 09:16 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This sure looks like a nicely developed labeling program and promotion. We know Cosworth is not an oil company and the details read like a specification, not a special formulation. Who makes this lubricant?

We have reliable proof that over 99% of engines do fine with a regular motor oil so I question the need or expense when something like this comes up.

Quick Reply: Cosworth Motor Oil