S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Cosworth Motor Oil

Old 02-28-2006, 04:53 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for sharing all this info and your recommendations with us!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LiquidCosworth,Feb 28 2006, 05:38 AM
The F1 engines run to 19,000+ and use 0W-20.
Wow...that is some thin oil you are using at 19K+. Guess you are using as thin an oil as possible to maximize power output and relying on the additive package to protect the internal engine surfaces...after all the F1 engine only has to last 2 race weekends and no more, otherwise you are being too conservative and the solution is not optimal.

The S2000 owners manual recommends 2 viscosity grades; 10W30 or 5W40. I understand that a 0W30 and 10W30 have the same 30 viscosity at the point where the high temp. measurement is taken (100 deg. C?), however what about beyond that temp. Will the 0W30 thin out quicker than a 10W30 at temps. beyond that point? Wouldn't 5W40 be a better choice considering our owner's manual specifically recommends that grade?

I personally would prefer to buy your product from a store shelf so I can at least see the product first. Even though it's only the bottle that is visible (I mean oil looks like any other oil), it still gives the buyer some more comfort with a new product in the market place. Too bad you don't offer free shipping to Canada.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hecash, thank you. Many others have been equally generous!

The fluid dynamics are such that the faster the speed, the thinner the oil can be because the moving part pulls oil under it. The faster you can "surf" the less likely you are to sink. And since idle speed is ~7,000 RPM, it all works out.

Beyond 100C is a good question, and it is answered by measuring viscosity at both a higher temperature and higher shear rate; more like how the engine sees the oil. Therefore, part of the SAE J300 viscosity grade classification system is HT/HS viscosity, which is measured at 150C and 10E6/s shear. The minimum for an SAE 30 is 2.9 cP, the 0W-30 is 3.3 cP. The minimum for an automotive SAE 40 (i.e. 5W-40 or 10W-40) is also 2.9 cP, while for a commercial SAE 40 (i.e. 15W-40) oil it is 3.7 cP. Our 5W-40 is 4.04 cP. Obviously, either grade will do fine.

Hmmm. We'll have a think about how to best replicate the visual impact in an online setting. Thanks for the comments, and please feel free to email or PM if you have additional comments.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LUVNMBRS,Mar 1 2006, 01:43 AM
Wow...that is some thin oil you are using at 19K+. Guess you are using as thin an oil as possible to maximize power output and relying on the additive package to protect the internal engine surfaces...after all the F1 engine only has to last 2 race weekends and no more, otherwise you are being too conservative and the solution is not optimal.
You have to remember that an F1 engine is nothing like what we are used to.. it is designed to allow a certain amount of blow-by.. in fact it expells quite alot of oil in the exhaust when running normally. With requirements dramatically different than street cars I am not sure the claim that the oil is the same as F1 lubricant means much. Not saying this lube is bad, just that we have much hype going on here when there are fine alternatives currently available.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, cdelena.

Not any more. Current CA and TJ engines carry ~5 liters (depends on customer.) They can't afford to lose oil, nor burn it, as it creates piston top and combustion chamber deposits that affect burn rates.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdelena,Mar 1 2006, 06:14 AM
You have to remember that an F1 engine is nothing like what we are used to.. it is designed to allow a certain amount of blow-by.. in fact it expells quite alot of oil in the exhaust when running normally. With requirements dramatically different than street cars I am not sure the claim that the oil is the same as F1 lubricant means much. Not saying this lube is bad, just that we have much hype going on here when there are fine alternatives currently available.
Yes, the requirements of an oil in F1 is different than street cars...they are much more severe. Thus, for the oil to be able to perform in that environment, daily street driving would be a walk in the park...Overkill perhaps, but so is buying a 100% titanium Amuse exhaust for $2000. Some people can appreciate it, others cannot.

These oils are not that much more than mainstream stuff like Mobil 1, but instead of the money you're paying going to the profit margins of the manufacturer for their advertising budget, it's going to a better product (oil) for your car.

I'm telling you, Mobil 1 is not the same as it used to be since they lost that lawsuit to Castrol. The advertising just makes you believe so. I mean they reformulate to a cheaper formula, blending in less costly group III oils (which cost half as much) without passing on any of the savings to their customers, improve their profit margins, slap on & advertise a catchy phrase like "SuperSyn" and most people buy into it.

If you really must have Mobil 1, get the Mobil Delvac 1 for commercial diesel vehicles. This is the good stuff that's comparable to "Real" Synthetics like Redline, Cosworth, etc.