S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Retuned Today W/ Bigger FMIC

Old 10-17-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retuned Today W/ Bigger FMIC

Well guys, today I took my happy self over to Jacksonville where I met up with Mase and the guys from Stage 6. I had just had my front bumper repaired and the new fmic led me to lower boost to 15psi from the 19psi it was set at prior to the new fmic. Mase greeted me with a smile and was just as anxious to get the car on the rollers to see what kind of power he could make with my setup.

After doing some base pulls, we were both surprised to see my #s at a mere 310whp Now, I know that this dyno is a dyno dynamics dyno and that it was 85 deg. w/ 54% humidity and I just drove my car for an hour and a half to get to the shop...but I figured I should have read closer to 350 considering that my original dyno from Inline Pro was 374whp @ 17 psi on their dynojet. After getting a little more airflow to the fmic to more accurately simulate normal windspeeds, my power increased a wee bit, Mase also noticed the weird drop when VTEC kicked in @ 5500 and set it further back to 6100 to clean that rough spot out, which helped, but it was obvious something was just holding my car back from making the power it should.

Mase asked me some basic questions about the setup, checking if everything was up to par and to just make sure that nothing needed replacing (like the sparkplugs), then checked the ignition timing. After checking everything, Mase started tinkering with timing and the air/fuel ratios. A few pulls later and some skillfully employed new values in the EMS, 350whp was seen by the dyno dynamics screen. We were finally getting somewhere, but it still wasn't exactly where I was hoping it would be.

This is when I realised what a good choice it was to pick Mase over the standard tuner/shop...he recalled his previous experience with another turbo s2000 and how the filter was located in a rather crappy location, like mine was with the Inline Pro kit (not to bash, it's just the truth). Realizing that it was probably sucking in a boatload of hot air and sucking in the already burnt exhaust gasses that were coming out of the dump tube from the ext. wastegate, he decided to slap on a different intake pipe that led the intake out from under the valve cover and in front of the engine. One dyno pull later and wow, ~35whp was instantly gained. That's right, 35whp on a dyno dynamics was gained from moving the intake to a cooler place and not touching anything else.

Sitting at 385whp, 400whp was just knocking at the door, and Mase knew just how to get there. Of course, a few pulls, some advanced in timing, and ~2psi more of boost later, 412whp is made. I'm extremely happy with the results of this tune, ESPECIALLY considering where the car started out at on the base run...I simply couldn't believe it wasn't even making 320whp on this dyno. Mase is truly as good as his reputation, I suggest anyone considering a good tuner call him up before making any other commitments.

Of course I'll post up the dyno charts below.

As you can see ^ my air fuel ratios were extremely rich on the base dyno pull...which also helps explain my 18-19mpg averages when I'm not gunning the car at all.

The car drives SOOO much smoother and stronger than it did previously, its just ridiculous the nigt/day difference...makes me really hate having to sell it. I do have a question for you guys, and I don't want this to start a debate, but don't dyno dynamics dynos read between 10 and 15% lower than a standard dynojet?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:11 PM

What turbo and manifold?

I made that at 10 psi.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 PM

gt3076r cartridge .82 a/r Inline Pro manifold

It's inline Pro's kit.

Don't you have a full race kit? and (this is not trying to be rude)is your car running right now? What dyno did you use?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:25 PM

Power: Tubular>Log
Reliability: Log>Tubular

Settled.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheCarGuy2021,Oct 17 2007, 07:25 PM
Power: Tubular>Log
Reliability: Log>Tubular

Settled.
This isn't a debate or bashing session, I'm just asking him some questions like he asked me.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:43 PM

Yeah no debate at all.
Just curious

I had the same turbo but the full race mani, dynoed on a dynojet 255 or something like that.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:44 PM

Car is sleeping for winter, i sold the full race kit, the mani was too much of a pain.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:47 PM

yeah, if you dyno'd on a dyno dynamics dyno you'd have read about 40whp less.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I was thinking at some point to move the filter up a little bit so I didn't get the "ramair" effect at highway speeds as much. This is even more of a reason to do it

Anyway you can get another pipe sent out to me from your tuner?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Oct 17 2007, 07:48 PM

I was thinking at some point to move the filter up a little bit so I didn't get the "ramair" effect at highway speeds as much. This is even more of a reason to do it

Anyway you can get another pipe sent out to me from your tuner?
Sadly it has to be custom fabbed. I don't know why Inline Pro didn't fab up an intake pipe that put the filter out in front of the engine to begin with...or anyone else that mounts the turbo down there for that matter.

Quick Reply: Retuned Today W/ Bigger FMIC